Does WinXP see Linux partitons yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does WinXP see Linux partitons yet?

I remember from my troubles back when 98SE was king that Windows had no clue what a linux partition was, as well as NTFS.. just Bam.. you had 5 gigs less of HD space.

Does XP view linux partitons yet? I might be more inclined to partiton my HD's and install Linux to learn if it did.

Also, what flavor of Linux do you guys recommend?
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

I have no idea, as I don't have XP.
    However the way I dealt with the issue in 98 was to place files I created and DL'd on the Windows partition. That way you can use a much smaller partition for your main Linux 1 and still access the files through Windows.

As to flavor?
    For my 2 cents worth get a well documented distro - SuSE is making me crazy with it's limited documentation. After the super-easy install process, everything has pretty much been downhill for me with that 1 - but that could possibly be attributed to the fact I am a moron:?:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

hmm most likely not, since I think that windows (NT kernel) can see fat32 and ntfs partitions! It would be nice if windows could see this...

Comment

samba some s/w that runs under linux will let xp see linux partitions. From linux you can mount win xp partitions using a program smbmount. Thats a very brief description but I hope it points you in the right direction.

Comment

hmmm, last time I did a kernel build...and NTFS partition reader in Linux was still *xperimental* I think you could generally read from it with no problems...but writing to it was hard to do! Has to do something with Linux not being able to decifer the NTFS log. I built my kernel with that option on, but never tried it. Now, the Linux kernel can read Fat32, which was nice since my old Mp3 drive was fat32.

Samba is a networking program. That will let you map drives and connect a windows box over the network. This is a linux based proggie that has nothing to do with Windows seeing a linux partition.

For linux distro's I recommend Mandrake and RedHat. Good for newbs and good for experts...:thumb:

Comment

Microsoft don't have the brains to enable linux filesystem support......it takes a linux programmer to do that.
            p-two.net

Comment

yeah I knew there was some program out there that would allow you to see a linux partition...I just could not remember the name.. Looks like write is still flaky...but better than nothing! :)

Comment

Working...
              X