Clear All

• Opened bios update utility, bricked Z77 Extreme4

This is adapted from an email I sent off to ASRock a few minutes ago:

CPU: i5 3570K
    Mobo: Z77 Extreme4

Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1.25v DDR3 1600
    Video card: 2x Radeon HD4870 512MB
    HDD: 80GB Intel X-25m G2, 1500GB WD Green

My problem: I have been running the 1.40 bios since I got the board, and today I decided to check for an update. I went to this page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/<wbr>Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=<wbr>Download&os=BIOS

And downloaded the Windows 2.10 BIOS. I extracted the .zip file and opened the update utility. There was a disclaimer about using the utility with "yes" and "no" options, I clicked "yes" and my screen immediately froze (capslock/numlock keys didnt work either). I shut off my PC after waiting a minute, and when I turned it back on, the diagnostic LED screen gave code "d0". Looking it up in my manual, it says "CPU initialization error".

Google'ing this, people have suggested that "d0" as a code more typically means a corrupted bios, which makes sense in the context what I saw.

Now, I did not hit the "update bios" button because it (I believe) corrupted my bios before I even had a chance to.

What do you guys think? Probably a corrupted bios? Can I fix it locally or do I need to buy a new bios chip from ASRock?

Re: Opened bios update utility, bricked Z77 Extreme4

you should do all bios updating through the bios screen and dos using a memory stick,its always risky updating from within windows,you can search on ebay for a replacement bios chip,ask them to update it for you to the latest bios for that motherboard

the bios chip itself just pulls out from the holder soldered onto the motherboard,then just plop in the new pre flashed bios chip and you should be good to go

you might be able to request a free chip from asrock aswell if you contact them
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the response!

ASRock's support site lists a bios chip at $15 + shipping, I sent them an email about it and we'll see if they'll give me a freebie but I'll definitely check out ebay.

The reason I didn't use the bios updater was because it wasn't seeing my flash drive, and the online updater (in bios) always threw a "cannot connect" error. I think I'll pass on updating my bios if a windows program is my only alternative... I can't believe it bricked my PC just by opening it.

Comment

Same thing just happened to me. :( I was worried about updating the BIOS through Windows, but figured what the hell I have a clear cmos button, and it shouldn't be able to turn the mobo in to a brick. Sadly I was wrong.

Thankfully I just bought the mobo off newegg and they set me up with an RMA for it. Still a pain though, own new desktop for 2 days and already RMA'ing the mobo...

Would love to hear an update from you though and good luck solving this issue!

Comment

try with different brands of memory sticks,not all will work,and it has tbe formatted to fat32 and sometimes it has to be made bootable,google for free software to create a bootable usb stick,plenty shops on ebay will pre flash the bios chip to the latest bios version for you before they ship it out
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X