Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P8Z68-V PRO / Gen3 BIOS Mod, including how-to instructions

Hey Tweaktowners,

note: Link for the BIOS file in the bottom of this post.

* Edit 27/10/2012: New version updated Intel VGA. *

I started this thread because i couldn't find asus Z68 bios mods with updated lan/vga/extra storage oproms, also i couldn't find clear instructions on what/how to do, so i'm hoping that by posting these stuff - I will help others to start modding asus bioses with latest firmwares.

This mod fix some problems with Lucid virtu (no longer crushing), with SSD Trim and a few other issues.

I'm a newbie on bioses so I won’t be able to help you with YOUR bios, but my how-to should work for ASUS MOTHERBOARDS from P67 chipsets and forward up to Z77 and probably even Z79/X79.

Since ASUS don't update their bioses too often, i decided to create a mod for the latest bios version 3402 with the latest firmwares.

In this version (3402) I've replaced 6 oproms:
    * Intel LAN OpRom was updated from 1.3.72 build 89 to 1.3.95 build 91.
    * Intel Raid OpRom was updated to support TRIM properly from 10.8.0.1303 to 11.6.0.1624.
    * Intel VGA OpRom was updated from 2124 to 2143.
    * Jmicron OpRom was updated from 1.07.23 to 1.07.28.
    * Marvell Sata & Esata Oproms were updated from 1.0.0.1029 (sata) and 1.0.0.1022 (esata) to 1.0.0.1033.

Now about the process:

Note: I'm not familiar with ASUS Warranty policy but there is a good chance that bios modding will VOID your warranty, use on your own risk.

1 – Software:
    A. Get Latest BIOS.
    B. Get Latest AMI Aptio MMTool (4.50.0.23 or newer!): http://win-lite.de/benutzer/fernando...v4.50.0.23.rar
    C. Get latest roms from: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...fied-bios.html or from station-drivers.com.

2 – Verification:
    A. Open Windows Device manager and check the Hardware_ID of the device that you want to update, check under details when you click properties on the device. You will find the IDs of A) VendorID and B) the DeviceID (for example Intel LAN is located in PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503&SUBSYS_849C1043&REV_05 , 8086 is Vendor ID for Intel, 1503 device id for the LAN).
    B. Open MMTool, load your bios file image.
    C. Select ‘EXTRACT’ tab, Filename CSMCORE (this part of the bios contains all of the oproms), select “link present” and the vendor id & device id - enter the values of the device that you want to update, extract.
    D. Open the file you extracted with a file viewer and verify that this is the correct module that you want to replace (you will find the vendor name and product name with software version inside the file - for example “Intel(R) Boot Agent GE v1.3.72 IBA GE Slot 0000 v1372 PXE 2.1 Build 089” for lan.
    E. Repeat section A,C,D to verify the other oproms that you want to update.

Verified Device IDs for P8Z68-V Pro / Gen3 (probably same in other MBs, but extract the module before you replace it to verify anyway!):
    197b, 2362 - Jmicron 36xx/37xx.
    1b4b, 9120 / 91a0 - Marvell Onboard Sata.
    1b4b, 9172 / 917a - Marvell Esata.
    8086,102 - Intel VGA.
    8086, 1503 - Intel LAN.
    8086, 2822 - Intel RAID.

3 – Modding:
    A. Go to the ‘REPLACE’ tab, select filename ‘CSMCORE’, select the file for the oprom module of the device that you want to update (for example chose latest raid oprom that you’ve downloaded).
    B. Verify vendor id & device id of the device that you are updating (for raid it will be 8086, 2822, under the ‘link present’ option).
    C. Click Replace.
    D. Repeat A,B,C for all the other oproms that you want to update.

4 – Flashing:
    A. Save your modded bios file on a usb stick.
    B. Write down your bios settings since they will change after the flush, I recommend to use the bios flash from within the bios, it is safest to flash this way.
    C. Reboot, enter bios, flash, re-enter correct bios settings back.

Some reference for reading/more information:
    [H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - Official ASUS BIOS and Program Updates
    BIOS-Modding: How to update PCI ROM modules of an AMI/Phoenix/Award BIOS - BIOS/BIOS-Modding - Win-Lite Forum

Links for latest oproms and firmwares:
    www.station-drivers.com
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...fied-bios.html

Link for the 3402 Bios mod (with updated Lan, Raid, Vga, Jmicron &Marvell oproms): p8z68-v-pro-gen3-asus-3402__mod5

Enjoy!
    Astro.
    Last edited by astrotweak; 10-27-2012, 12:34 PM.

Re: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO / Gen3 BIOS Mod, including how-to instructions

Just was wondering what is this Virtu crushing your talking about? Do you mean crashing? I have a Z68 Deluxe and never noticed that though turn it off half the time. Also wonder if the vga bios from a Z77 is the same hardware id as a Z68 board and would that mod enable the Virtu MVP feature cause that would be an awesome mod!

Noteworthy that Win-Lite.de also has bios mod files as well and I prefer that site over the other one. Also I don't think Trim has been fixed in raid as of yet despite 11.6.0.1702 release.

Nice write up though!

BTW: Our bioses are very modable to allow hackintoshing. That would be another cool addition to your list of mods.

Comment

he means crashing,its a typo,lucid works with a reg hack or used too but its flakey on z68 and only works in certain games
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by davidm71 View Post
        Just was wondering what is this Virtu crushing your talking about? Do you mean crashing? I have a Z68 Deluxe and never noticed that though turn it off half the time. Also wonder if the vga bios from a Z77 is the same hardware id as a Z68 board and would that mod enable the Virtu MVP feature cause that would be an awesome mod!

Noteworthy that Win-Lite.de also has bios mod files as well and I prefer that site over the other one. Also I don't think Trim has been fixed in raid as of yet despite 11.6.0.1702 release.

Nice write up though!

BTW: Our bioses are very modable to allow hackintoshing. That would be another cool addition to your list of mods.
        Sorry, i mean crash , its a type error.

I *THINK* That the VGA oprom is the same one for all of Intel's latest chipsets.

I have Virtu MVP Installed and it seems to be working well.

You don't have to explain yourself regarding which bios you use - just use the 1 that works well for you. For me, this mod works best.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
          he means crashing,its a typo,lucid works with a reg hack or used too but its flakey on z68 and only works in certain games
          What is this reg hack thing ? Can you supply a link or more info ?

Thanks !

Comment

Working...
          X