Refresh Rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refresh Rate

My only options for refresh rate are optimal and adapter. The screen flickers and I want to set the refresh rate higher. How can I do this?

Mike

This is generally due to no or improper drivers, but it's hard to say offhand. Could you give us some system information and OS please? It would give us a much greater chance of pointing to any possible problems.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Vivatron 1776 monitor from Gateway
      AMD Duron 1200
      VT8361/VT8601 Graphics Controller (integrated video 8MB)
      chip type KLE

Comment

But what version of Windows are you using is the main bit ya missed. :(
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Windows 98

I tried changing drivers and now it won't load Windows. I'm going to bring it back to PC Warehouse where I bought it yesterday and have them fix it.

Comment

While ya ther it would be a good idea to find out exactly what hardware that you have in it. ;)

Comment

I hope you didn't pay to much for that rig. It's not exactly state of the art.

Comment

It was $369 with 256 RAM. No monitor, keyboard, mouse or Windows. They loaded Windows 98 from a disk I had from a broken computer. I have a better computer, this is just a second one for the family to share.

They just called me back. They reloaded the video driver and got the computer to work. I asked about the refresh rate and she said they usually set it to 65 or 70. Maybe it's because I have thick glasses but I need the refresh rate to be at least 75 or I see the screen flicker. It doesn't bother anybody else, just me. Shouldn't there be number options in the display rate list? All it had was optimal or adapter for choices. She says maybe because it's integrated video, it's not a separate video card and that's why there are no numbers to choose. She's having the tech guy look into it.

Comment

PC Warehouse called back and said when I install the monitor see if I can find a better driver. Or they can install a 32MB video card for $49.

Here's a link about the motherboard. MS-6378 made by Micro Star International:

Thanks for your help.

Comment

If that's $us, I think they overcharged you.(I see Emachines advertised all of the time for $399us after rebate. And you even get Winxp, kb, etc..) "she said they usually set it to 65 or 70" - Tell her to set it for what you want. I usually run at 85hz. If it can't do at least 75hz, tell her that it is unsuitable and you want a refund.

I'm adding this as your last post appeared as I was doing this one.

What kind of service is that when they tell you to find drivers for a machine that they just sold you, and that they have in their possesion? You brought it back to get a problem fixed, and they told you to fix it. The board doesn't even have an AGP slot on it. I would definitly get a refund.

Comment

She said if a better driver exists it's already on the C disk but I have to install my monitor to see if it can find one. Yesterday my son installed the monitor and I doubt he did this. The $49 would include a new board with an AGP slot.

Comment

Can't you take your monitor etc back to the shop, and get them to configure it properly for you.
                        Seems the best option if your unsure how to do it yourself, after all your've just purchased a computer from them.
                        Be careful when setting the refresh rate, as some older monitors don't support very high rr's, and can be damaged when they're set to high.
                        The alternative is to purchase a TFT/LCD monitor. These are still quite expensive, but you won't suffer with flicker on these.

Comment

I'm pretty small time. I build, upgrade, and repair computers on the side for a little spending money. Even I have a bench monitor! I can't beleive they don't have at least 1 in house they could have used to look at your hd. If this an indication of how well their test bench is equipped........ oh well, I can't even imagine! IMHO, they should give you a better(read modern) mobo and AGP vid card for the price you paid.

Comment

You could always download the lastest driver from that link you posted and see if that will give you the full driver adjustments as this place maybe just loading an older incomplete version as the adjustments should be there and really they should set it to what you want. ;)

Comment

I think I'm going to tell them to add the video card. It's Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 with 32mb for $49.

Comment

Working...
                              X