Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FX-8350 support on the 870iCafe R2.0

Hi All,

I've upgraded my Phenom II X6 1055T CPU-based system to an FX-8350 and I'm encountering problems with system stability.

I've performed a BIOS update to the last release for this motherboard, v1.70, which looking at the CPU support list includes support for this new CPU. The problems I am seeing are complete system freezes/hangs (not crashes or panics). I am running a SVR4 UNIX derivative (OpenIndiana), and at intervals of at least once or twice a day since upgrading the CPU, the system will hang. The symptoms are a total freeze of the desktop environment, no response to local keyboard nor mouse, no response to attempting to launch a virtual console, no reponse to pings over the network, and no ability to log in remotely. The only way to restore system operation is to perform a hard reset. I can't find any way of triggering an NMI on this motherboard, so I can't even collect a crash dump.

I cannot find any correlation to a particular sequence of actions or application to induce the behaviour. It seems to occur after the system has been up for a few hours, but otherwise seems non-reproducable according to any pattern.

I've performed a memory test using an Ubuntu Live USB installer and no problems have been reported. It's got 8GB of DDR3-1333 installed.

In BIOS, I have disabled the following settings: Cool 'n' Quiet, Core C6 State, Enhanced Halt State(C1E), ACPI HPET table, CPU Active Core Control, AMD Turbo Core Technology. There has been no change to the behaviour.

By comparison, using the Phenom II X6 1055T, the system has been stable.

My questions to the experts on this forum and ASRock (if they are here) are, based on the above information is this issue possibly due to less than mature support for the FX-8350? I see BIOS v1.70 was released December of last year, predating Vishera by many months. If so, is a BIOS udpate that could address this imminent?

Any information or help would be great :)

Cheers,
    Dave
    Last edited by davenz; 10-26-2012, 05:17 AM.

Re: FX-8350 support on the 870iCafe R2.0

Hi All,

As an addendum to this, I have found I can actuallly hang the system fairly consistently using a benchmark tool which stresses multithreaded performance. I hope to have a bit more information to share on this one soon.

Cheers,
    Dave

Comment

Re: FX-8350 support on the 870iCafe R2.0

Hi All,

I've upgraded my motherboard to a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, and my freezing issues have ceased. I've blogged this in case this helps anyone.

Cheers,
      Dave
      Last edited by davenz; 11-02-2012, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X