Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asrock 970 Extreme 3 + FX-8120 throttling beyond anything i have ever seen ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock 970 Extreme 3 + FX-8120 throttling beyond anything i have ever seen ...

So im having this problem recently. My FX-8120 which is plugged into brand new 970Extreme3 started to throttle. I could even live with this since at the start it didnt break 74*C treshold. But today it did it and beyond... Running overdrive stress test for 4 minutes was enough to have it jump between 40*C and 59.5*C (@ cores). During that time cpu sensor dazzled me with magical number of 77*C...

Seeking an answer i found new bios at the asrock website and off we go - bios flashed, disabled everything just as it was before (no c'n'q, no turbo, no llc, no apm and c6) - multiplier froze on 15.5 with 200mhz running 55*C with no stress on cpu. Right when i start putting some pressure on it temp jumps sky high ;/

I tried running it downclocked to 2.4ghz with little results as it still did overheat. I did try to disable 1 core from each module leaving total of 4 cores active earlier today but didnt help a lot . My case runs 4 120x120 fans on its own, add another 92x92 @ my radiator and 1 side open - this stuff is not normal. Any ideas how to fix it? I really wouldnt want to give it back to the store before xmas.

If any1 who wishes to help me need any more info just let me know and ill do my best to provide it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	756122
    Last edited by PGSYoGi; 12-16-2012, 02:59 PM.

Re: Asrock 970 Extreme 3 + FX-8120 throttling beyond anything i have ever seen ...

Which specific model of Silentium Spartan cooler?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Re: Asrock 970 Extreme 3 + FX-8120 throttling beyond anything i have ever seen ...

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      which specific model of silentium spartan cooler?
      he923 - im not sure if its the cooler setup since when i touch the ribs they're quite hot (not to mention the heatpipes that are superhot...)
      Last edited by PGSYoGi; 12-16-2012, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Ok, so long as it wasn't the two tube HE923.

Knowing it took four minutes to reach that temp my first impression is the cooler is too small for the heat the AM3+ FX cpu's give out

Originally posted by PGSYoGi View Post
        My case runs 4 80x80 fans on its own, add another 80x80 @ my radiator and 1 side open
        I only find the Silentium L50 case. Same? The L50 uses 120mm and 140mm as case fans.

Why 80mm fan on a cooler that is designed for a 92mm fan? This alone will account for much of what you see as temps as the 80mm doesn't particularly allow to pass air over the area of the cooler as intended.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through;">OH! Also, make sure the push pins(never seen this before and I will say I don't care for either) are secure and that the cooler isn't fastened loosely, allowing for a less than tight fight against the cpu itself.</span>
        EDIT: I now see I was looking at Intel mounting instructions when I wrote that above. AMD mounting uses the standard included mounting bracket
        Last edited by - wardog -; 12-16-2012, 02:46 PM. Reason: My bad
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Ok, so long as it wasn't the two tube HE923.

Knowing it took four minutes to reach that temp my first impression is the cooler is too small for the heat the AM3+ FX cpu's give out

I only find the Silentium L50 case. Same? The L50 uses 120mm and 140mm as case fans.

Why 80mm fan on a cooler that is designed for a 92mm fan? This alone will account for much of what you see as temps as the 80mm doesn't particularly allow to pass air over the area of the cooler as intended.

OH! Also, make sure the push pins(never seen this before and I will say I don't care for either) are secure and that the cooler isn't fastened loosely, allowing for a less than tight fight against the cpu itself.
          EDIT: I now see I was looking at Intel mounting instructions when I wrote that above. AMD mounting uses the standard included mounting bracket
          1st i have to apologize for not giving acurate info as im after 5th coffee today ;P

FAN Setup:
          2x 120x120mm top (of which one gave up already and i had it replaced) - air blows INSIDE
          1x 120x120mm back fan - air blows OUTSIDE
          1x 120x120mm front fan that cools down hdds - air blows INSIDE

1x 92x92mm fan that cools down the ribs and it blows air in the same direction as the 120x120 one in the back. It didnt happen until few days ago. It was all working fine and i didnt do anything inside the case. Fans are doing 100% atm with little result.
          Last edited by PGSYoGi; 12-16-2012, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PGSYoGi View Post
            he923 - im not sure if its the cooler setup since when i touch the ribs they're quite hot (not to mention the heatpipes that are superhot...)
            It appears the cooler is making contact just fine for that amount of heat being transferred into the cooler.

Just to test. I'm reading you have LLC options in the bios. In the bios disable LLC, APM, and Turbo Core Control and see where your temps go to while testing.

Have you tweaked using the AMD Overdrive util? If you have, I'd back them out until you get to the bottom of this heat problem you're having.

Comment

It appears the cooler is making contact just fine for that amount of heat being transferred into the cooler.

Just to test. I'm reading you have LLC options in the bios. In the bios disable LLC, APM, and Turbo Core Control and see where your temps go to while testing.

Have you tweaked using the AMD Overdrive util? If you have, I'd back them out until you get to the bottom of this heat problem you're having.
              i have disabled pretty much all there was and LLC was 1st to go actually with no change on temperatures. Atm tho i got c'n'q and apm turned on for testing (cpu has 40*C with 1.4ghz if i do nothing).

I downclocked cpu using AMD overdrive (lowering fsb and vcore) - didnt help so reversed the changed and now im running @ stock clocks apart from Turbo Core turned off. prim95 still does funny stuff with my cpu (going over 75*C in under 2 minutes)
              Last edited by PGSYoGi; 12-17-2012, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Without it here in front of me I'm at wits end.

What thermal paste/tape did you use?

????

Things I'd consider knowing this happened out of the blue:

Double check the fan is indeed spinning freely and at proper rpm
                Check and clean the cooler fins and fan
                Replace fan, preferably with a higher rpm one.

Comment

im running arcting silver paste and after talking to a friend of my we came to conclusion that throttling might not even be the issue related to the motherboard but processor itself... Still he advised me to changed the paste and once again clean it from all dust if there is any and if this wont help just give it back to the store i bought it in... where i'm working btw :P

if its an issue with mobo ill proly get new one, if its processor i might end up getting vishera as buldozers are no longed in retail :)

Comment

Working...
                  X