FPS Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPS Recommendations?

I've just finished SOF 2 and want to know if there are any more decent FPS games out there that require a bit more than the 'blast everyting in sight' strategy. I found Max Payne fairly good, also Red Faction and MOHAA ..... but what next ??
    I find UT a bit mindless (but good fun in small doses) and want to tax my brain as well as my fire button :D

Sorry to say, but most FPS games are pretty much 'blast everything in sight'. As for something else though, you could give Battlefield 1942 a shot. It's not quite as fast paced as SoF2 and the like, but with the addition of vehicles to drive around in, it is a hell of a lot of fun...

UT 2003 is out now (soon for us Australians), but that's basically just more of the same old UT, with the exception of the Bombing Run gametype. Basically NFL + guns... a lot of fun.

Comment

Beefy you kind of make it seem like the older UT wasn't good. Atleast it appears that way. But ya as long as FPSes have been out it has been blast everything in site. From the original Doom to quake 2 to modern era.

Comment

Originally posted by RazMan
        I find UT a bit mindless (but good fun in small doses) and want to tax my brain as well as my fire button :D
        His words, not mine. :) Personally I love mindless, fast paced games like UT... I was just trying to recommend stuff the way he wanted to hear it.

Comment

FPS shooter, that requires strategy....have you tried operation flashpoint.

That requires alot of strategy, and patience. But a good game none the less! :thumb:

Comment

The Rainbow Six series is another good strategical set.. Try Ghost Recon. ;)

Comment

yeah that is another good series!

Comment

BF 1942 is one of the better FPS's. You have to work at least a little bit as a team or you loose...

Comment

But in single player it's not all that important. and RazMan looks to be on dial up, so online gaming is almost out of the question

Comment

Well, than go for RainBow Six, Ghost Recon, Desert Siege and Island Thunder.

Or try Serious Sam 2...

You can also consider Hitman and Hitman 2, although it's not really an FPS.

Comment

Well, most FPS games have pretty good single player layout. JKII is pretty good for Single player mode. But I play it all the time with a 56k and it is pretty good.

Comment

I was refering to your comment about Battlefield. :) It's single player isn't really all that teamwork based, as you basically either take charge, do it yourself and win, or sit back, hoping for teamwork and lose... And Battlefield netcode is pretty crap at the moment, with play on decent connections still not that great, let along dial uppers...

Comment

Yeah BF isnt too great with 56k. But with my bro's cable modem I usually play in games with 64 people with little to no lag. Might just be lucky though :?:

Comment

Thanks for all your input guys, I will give your recommendations a try.
                            One point first though - I find UT fairly entertaining but a bit manic, as you can't take your time to figure out your strategy - you've basically got to keep moving all the time or you just end up a sticky mess on the floor. I quite liked MOHAA and SOF2 because they gave you more time to observe a situation and figure out the best way of tackling it (a bit more 'real' if you know what I mean)
                            The majority of FPS games seem to centre around World War or Alien Invasion scenarios - I guess there is only a finite number of these story lines and after a while they all seem to blend into one another. I am looking for something that requires a little more finesse ..... and then I will vaporise the baddies into OBLIVION ...... muah ha ha ha !! :D

Comment

Working...
                            X