overclock ddr333 ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclock ddr333 ram

can someone tell me if its worthwhile overclocking my ram if possible ?
    I have 512mb ddr333 2700 on an asusp4s533 MB with a P4 2.4chip, I think I've managed to overclock the cpu up to 2.57 without the need for any other cooling other than whats standard, so I was just wondering if its advisable to overclock the ram too and how do I do that ??????

You can't realy OC your RAM too much. But when you increase the voltages it can increase system stability.

Comment

But your memory will run up to 166MHz at rated timings and as you increase the FSB you also increase the memory speed. I'm not sure if your CPU is an "A" (100MHz FSB) or a "B" (133MHz FSB) but either way you have room to spare. Also this memory will usually work at speeds beyond 166MHz but you'll most likely have to slow the memory timings and/or increase the voltage to the memory to stablize it. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

hi wiggo, my cpu is a "B" pentium 4 2.4ghz northwood fsb533, tell me more please ????? :confused:

Comment

Ok then here goes but I'm not totally up to date with P4 setups.
          With that o/c to 2.57GHz you got to a FSB of 143MHz (I'm not real sure on this part with your chipset but I think your memory speed will only work at the same speed as the CPU's FSB, some other chipsets allow a +33MHz higher memory speed, if not then make sure you have it set to the same speed before going higher) which means that your memory still has 23MHz of headroom to play with (if you could have the memory set faster then you'd be over the specs of the memory which is why you'd bring the speed back or start reducing memory timings but it's too soon yet for that so take it back). Now if you decide to go further keep an eye on your temps and CPU stability (you may need to raise the Vcore here at some point a little to stabilize the CPU's signal and the standard Intel HSF doesn't do a bad job but if you find it lacking then a Volcano 7+ is all you need). The only thing that may stop you now is the AGP/PCI speed but I'm sure that your BIOS has a way to lock the AGP/PCI frequencies at spec speeds if this happens (not sure where you'll find this option though).
          Well I hope that helps ya a little but AMD systems mainly roll in and out the door here but not P4's, yet. :devil:
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Ok Wiggo,
            Heres what I done, please tell me if it's ok or not to do it this way ?
            I have an Asus p4s533 MB, with Sis 645dx chipset>>>Pentium 4, 2.4ghz cpu with 533 FSB and 512mb ram pc2700.

With the Asus motherboard you have an easy overclock feature in bios setup, Soooo >
            I went into the bios and changed the Cpu / Pci freq from default (133/33) to 143/36 which multiplied by the cpu freq multiple (18)= 2.57ghz and it looks as though my FSB is up from 533 to 572 now.

Is the machine actually running at those speeds or am I being fooled, according to a couple of benchmark programs sis sandra being one, acorrding to them the machine is running at those speeds, but I'am still not convinced ????
            Bear in mind everything is standard, fans etc etc, I look forward to hearing from you or anyone with Info please

:confused:

Comment

My 2.4B runs stable @ a 150 FSB for a 2.7 GHz net - temps in the 41 - 43C range...that was a couple of weeks ago .... with the local temps dropping I may be able to squeeze out a little more.
              I'm using an Alpha PAL8942 for cooling - which is a little better than a std. Intel HSF.
              with the Nanya DDR333 im using I can maintain agressive CAS settings at 177MHz (4/3 * 133FSB) i haven't tried any higher yet so it may do even better

keep trying - you probably still have some more OC headroom in your chip

Comment

Working...
              X