Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra power for the agp slot??

I have an extra 4 pin power connector just above my agp slot,
    does it make any difference wether i use this or not or is this only important if i use a more power demanding card as the 9700 for example? Approciate any info on this.

Asus p4t533-c
    gf4 ti4600

:confused:

Isnt that 4 pin plug just the 12V ATX plug or whatever they call it that all P4 boards have??
    Im assuming that you have used that Asus EZ-Plug or something like that which gives you the choice to use a standard HDD power plug instead of the 4 pin one??

The 9700 needs its own extra power and get this by plugging a FDD power cable onto the card itself.

Comment

Are you talking about the little square plug that is white? If so, then this is the supplemental power socket that the P4 boards have been using for some time. It is supposed to give added power where needed and make things more stable. Since I've not used a P4, I can't say from experience the necessity of the additional power. When you see a PSU that states that it is "P4 Ready", this is what they're talking about.

If you're talking about a different power connector, then let us know and we'll help where we can. :)
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

That's the additional P4 power connector. :eek:

I'm surprised then that you havn't been having probs with your setup (let alone boot, some won't) without it connected. This supplies extra power to the mobo. :smokin:

AGP Pro slots have a molex power connection for extra power to the slot and 9700's have a power connector on the card itself for the extra power needed. ;)

If your PSU doesn't have the special connector to fit that then a lot of PC stores carry a molex-P4 adaptor that will do the job. :devil win
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Aah so that's what "P4-Ready" means. Learn something new everyday...

Comment

Oops...
            Ok thanks for the info, my psu have that connector and i have now plugged it in.

:rolleyes2 :

Comment

Wow was your system unstable without that plugged in!? :confused:

Well i guess Epox gets away without the ATX plug at all so it's possible i guess.

Comment

No, my mobo was not unstable at all, but i have it plugged in now anyway.

Comment

In that case it sounds like a good time to start playing. You seem to have gotten hooked up with a very stable setup there. :D
                  Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                  My Toys

Comment

Yeah if it was stable before.....

Comment

Yep strange, not that i'm complaining though... =)

Comment

Shouldnt be complaining :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                        X