getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting started

I just got my unlocking kit in the mail...I was so excited I told all my friends...they laughed at me...a lot...really.

after telling them I would no longer help them with there computers, and where they could stick them, I went home to play with my new toy...4 tries later, I still can't get it to work.

Oh, well I have to work in the morning so I guess I have to live with my 1700+ running @1612.79...I should really wait till I get rid of this AMD heatsink anyway.

BIGJOE

Well if you are looking for a guide try this one out: http://www.tweaktown.com/document.p....ew&dId=376 Our own member Darthtanion wrote it just a few days ago. Very nice guide :thumb:

As for the heatsink try and pick up a "Volcano 7+" make sure it's a "+". You can get them for a good price here: www.powerstartpc.com. Just oredered mine the other day and got it today no problem.

Have a good time OC'ing and try and post here...

<Edit> Blah posted wrong link to the guide. Ctrl + c hasnt been working 100% of the time recently :cry: <Edit>

Comment

I read the guide, very well written I might add, I think I didn't clean the contacts enough...I've got a headache so Im gunna try again later. thanks for the encourgment.

BIGJOE

Comment

No problem. Remember if you EVER have problem the forums are here :thumb:

Comment

Here's a tip when you start. ;)

After thoroughly cleaning the pits out with the cleaning fluid get a very strong magnifying glass and check for any very fine wires poking out of the pits and trim these back as these can stick up thru the filler and still short the CPU. Then just make sure that get a good solid line bridging the contacts (very good idea to tape off each individual bridge so you don't short with another and a thinning line carries less current value which is required for this to work). :)
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

wires poking up thru the laser cut valley???

BTW...is it cool to take your processor on and off all the time, I mean does it shorten processor life??? not that I care, I want a 2200+ anyway, I was just courious?

BIGJOE

Comment

Sometimes during the cleaning process you can easily pull one of these fine wires out of the material if it's running parrallel and very close to the cut.

Yeah the Thoroughbred's are much easier to unlock as it only requires the last bridge of the L3 contacts to be done. :thumb:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

You know I've got the same problem, Trying to unlock an XP 1800, I used an eraser to clean the L1 area I've been told to try again, so I guess thats all I can do, Let me know if you do anything different and have better luck.

Comment

I just took a strip of scotch tape, the clear kind so you can see through it, put it over the contacts, then pushed the pin on to the contacts. I was using white patches before the clear tape helped so I could make sure I was directly on the contact.

BIGJOE

Comment

Working...
                  X