AMD or Intel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD or Intel

Hi i'm a newbie and expect the usual treatment for being one. I've finally got the courage or rather money to try and build a new pc, mainly for games etc, i use my current system for the net and work stuff.

Most of the people i know aren't to clued up regards to pc's, and my dilemma at the moment is whether i should go down the road of AMD or Intel. Most of the systems i see are XP systems and considering i'm in the AMD forum, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm working to a budget, and have some of the components already, ie case, psu, monitor, keyboard and mouse etc.

Basically i'm after a m/b, cpu, graphics card and RAM and soundcard, plus whatever else i'll need.

Thats it for the moment.

Well the higher end p4 systems especially when the 3GHz come out with hyper threading are gonna be really killer. So in that sense Intel is leading. BUt AMD has always been the price. And the fact that your on a price budget like you said I would personally say AMD. But then this is my personal opinion as I am an AMD enthusiest. Unless AMD starts getting really suck-o and intel starts dropping there prices liek they did a while back. THen I might decide to switch.

Comment

IMO intel appeals more to high budget users and no budget users. If you are looking for around the middle specs for most of your stuff, you will most likely get a better go from AMD

Comment

Firstly, what is the rating of your PSU? (just to be sure it has enough grunt) :?:

Secondly, don't knock ya self for bein' a n00b as everyone has to start there. (we just get crazier with age) ;)

Basically ya on a budget so count Intel out as you'll get more bang for ya $ from AMD. Also you do not need the latest and greatest available either.
        Something like this may do you more than very well,

EPoX 8K3A motherboard (you don't need the plus version with RAID)) - approx £80
        Athlon XP 2000+ Retail (has HSF) - approx £95
        Crucial PC2700 512MB - approx £120
        Sapphire Radeon 9000 128Mb DDR DVI AGP TV-Out Retail - approx £60
        Soundblaster 5.1 Live OEM (only if onboard sound not enough) - approx £25

Total = £355 approx without sound card and £380 approx with. You may do better than these prices as I'm not up on the retailers that you have over there though but it should give you something to start with. ;)

Now that's a very quick system and with a better HSF this setup should easily run at 2200+ speeds (or higher). :D

Good luck with whatever you decide on though. :thumb:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thank for your comments. :thumb:

Wiggo , the psu i have is 420w Chieftec twin fan. Bought it from a national cpu fair thats held over here, good old blighty

As for the budget, i had planned on £500. The pc i finally build, i want it to last and by that i mean have some future compatability. (carry some components thro).

Prices over here in the UK are extortionate and most parts i end up buying are over the net.

I have posted on another forum asking whether the card i have is suitable for gaming or whether i should buy another more suitable one. I have a Voodoo 5500 AGP 64MB. the only games i'd played to date were, lets just say not very graphically demanding, ie. CM3 and C&C

ps. would it be worth going for 1gig's worth DDR or is 512 plenty

Comment

512MB is the sweet spot for XP and anymore doesn't speed things up (unless ya got a dozen or so apps open) and the PSU should be plenty. ;)

Also don't forget about a good sized hard drive (maybe even a WD JB series one, 8MB cache) and ya may want a DVD and a burner as well (maybe a new game or two also) but as I said, it's a point to start with and mold from there. :devil:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks Wiggo.

I already have a dvd player and a dvd in my current pc. But the writer is a good idea. I also need a joystick, assuming i get UT. None of you seem to list these in your spec's lists, any :?:

All the games i've played to date use keyboard and mouse.

Comment

you pretty much said it yourself. All games can be played with keyboard / mouse, so there isn't much use for a joystick. Some people like them better, some get them for flight sims, but it's much easier playing most games with kb / mouse.

Comment

I got my specs in my sig :D. Of course it's off a bit. I'll update it when I build it.

Anyway the 512mb is th right amount for XP. And you may want to look into a Volcano 7+ if you have extra money (If you are going to buy the Volcano 7+ buy the proc OEM (save around $20).

Comment

Thanks Beefy, guess i did answer my own ? and i also don't really fancy flying planes so i may use the money elsewhere if not on a joystick, immediately that is.

I like your spec pga1234. I'll look into the Volcano. I also notice you list the Radeon 9700 Pro as your desired card. In a review of it i read that it blows the competition away, even the Ti4600, and it is supposedly the fastest , most feature complete 3d card currently out.

What i also read was that you will not be able to use all of the cards features due to lack of direct X 9.0 ??? and also to be advised that nVidia are putting final touches to their new card, code named NV30 which will compete with the 9700.
                    :bounce:

Comment

The NV30 is supposed to have a jump on the Radeon. I am getting my 9700 on Monday :D. I personally rather hae an Radeon over a GeForce. Don't ask me why I just do :).

Here are the final specs:

AMD 2200+
                      Radeon 9700
                      512 pc-3200 CL2
                      Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
                      Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache
                      Artec 56X
                      Lite-On 40x12x48
                      Sony 1.44MB (YEEEAAAH!)
                      Enermax 350W EG365P-VE

All of this is going in a shiny new Silver Chieftec Matrix Case.

Comment

Is that spec a spec of a system you intend to/or are building or is it what you have/or are upgraded your system too ?

Like i say i have a general pc, but fancied building one purely for gaming.

How much will your 9700 cost ?

Comment

$318, but graphic cards where you are are more right?

Those specs are the system that I currently have the parts for. Tommorrow I get the rest of my parts :D.

Comment

As my header...give me a mo'

Comment

so far £276.00 at overlocker is the cheapest i've seen, but still looking.

Comment

Working...
                              X