PDA

View Full Version : SSD cache selection on P8Z77-V Deluxe

alternety
05-15-2013, 08:41 AM
I am building a new machine with an Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe. It has a feature built in to pair a 6 Gbps drive with a cache SSD that can keep up. I think I will have a go at that.

My question is what SSD to use. In this application I suspect the major feature should be longevity and durability rather than the absolute fastest read and write times. Intel also has a set of software/firmware that makes use of up to 64K of SSD to speed things up. At this point I do not know if that can be the same SSD as Asus wants to use.

Asus wants the ports for the disk/SSD to be enabled as RAID rather than just ACHI. I don't know why.

I am thinking 128K of SSD, but open for suggestion. Moderate price would be good. What I need the most is an understandable reason to buy a specific brand/model of SSD to make the most of the situation. By understandable, I mean I can understand why the choice was made; not "I really like xx", or "xx has never failed me". Now if you can say "xx absolutely cured my cancer, dandruff, and made me 40 years younger" - this I would investigate :yawn:

I would also appreciate a recommendation for an internal DVD R/W SATA drive. There seems to be a whole lot of models with little that I understand to differentiate them. I want to copy my CDs and DVDs's to a disk server.

wazza300
05-18-2013, 01:27 AM
on a z68/z77 board you can use any regular 60gb ssd for caching,the operating system has to be on the hdd that you want to speed up

set to raid mode in the bios install windows onto the hdd and cache it with the ssd after you install the intel rapid storage driver software in windows