X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you tell it's time?

I need some input from you guys...

Or at least a good excuse.

How can you tell when it's time to build a new computer?

I'm getting the bug to build a new one but the rational "adult" side of me is having a very hard time justifying it.

My current system is a PIII 866 w 320mb RAM 40 gig WD hard drive ATI Radeon VE 32DDR video card, 4 port firewire, CDRW, CD-ROM. I do some web development, some gaming and it does everything I need it to do without a problem...

Thing is

It's pretty old

So what excuse do YOU use to talk yourself into a new shiney box?

ps:
    Wow, I made it to a Jr Tweaker!..lol haven't been a Jr in decades.

when you click on anything and it takes forever to load

Comment

You should upgrade to a new system this very instant.
      Once you have done so ---- you should sell that PIII 866 to me at an incredibly low price.

That way we both get a serious performance increase

I do hope it's a FCPGA:?:
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

LOL

Now there's an idea!

Comment

Well here's my current system:

PIII @ 600mhz
          40gb hdd
          4x4x24 cd-rw
          24x cd-rom
          145w generic psu
          384 SD-RAM

No let's see some reason's why I am upgrading:

A. Takes forever to run programs.
          B. Freezes when running 3dmarks.
          C. Can buy most of the parts that go in it for under $30.

Comment

Well my "rule of thumb" for upgrading is when you run into something that you really need (want) and you can't run it. Like on my PC I haven't touched a single game that I can't run on its max settings with 4XAA on. When I do that's when I know its time for an upgrade.

Comment

Basically what Respawn said, except maybe not to that extreme...

If your computer does what you want it to, then it's fine. Don't worry about upgrading just yet. However, when it gets to the stage that it can't quite handle what you use it for, then think about upgrading..

Comment

Ahh..

So just cause I read the TT reviews and things sound cool, isn't a reason to upgrade? :?:

There goes the adult side of me again..

My puter does what I need it to do right now, but I've upgraded almost everything I can over the course of time. My next move will be to reformat and clean things up a bit after that a new system when and if I can't run what I need.

Comment

No real reason an 866 won't handle the progs required for everyday use by most folks. I say again - most folks.
                  Everybody's needs are different.

I'd love the opportunity to throw financial concern to the wind and build a new system. But, it's just not realistic. This ol' PC doesn't wow anyone with the benchmarks. It's kind of like an ol' truck though, gets you where you need to go.
                  Mostly I have a hankering to build one, more than I need a new one. This one handles everything I need to do and then some - for the time being anyway.

I think that's one of the reasons I like freeware so much. It has a tendency to get the job done without being bloated and bogging down the system. For the most part I run simple programs that don't eat up my system. Yeah, I have some games that could probably perform better on a system rated with a "G", but they do run solid on this one too.

Besides, this is my first homemade and I kinda' got a softspot for it. LOL
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

My 933 runs sweet....

Its a 933 P3 with a PCI V-Card...it runs the games i want WC3, and CS....haven't tried UT2003 tho...it'll prolly freak.

I have my Beast but i mentioned its sidekick instead ...to let you know its ok to have a not so updated computer...as long as it takes care of your needs it ok...but if you like to run everything at max like RD then..maybe its time...if you have the money and you'll prolly spend it on **** anyway...then spend on something you like ...
                    - Damien

Comment

Yep once it starts havin' problems with the work load required then it's time for something better. :devil win
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I had two machines sitting at home a while back.. a P3 700 and an Athlon XP 1800+. I honestly couldn't tell that much difference when doing most things. Sure, everything looked that little bit sweeter on the XP, but both were very playable. The only reason I upgraded the P3 to a Duron 1200 is because a mate wanted a PC, so I sold it to him and made myself another one out of parts to replace it. Free upgrade almost...

As for all the cool reviews and stuff you see, even if you did upgrade and buy all that, within a month you'd see more stuff that was cooler / better / faster / etc... it's not worth trying to keep up.

Comment

Atm really anything more than an XP1800+ with 512MB DDR and a GeForce3 Ti200 (or equivelant setup) is just a bonus. ;)

but then after usin' this K6-3+450 @ 560MHz & TNT2 M64 for 4yrs now I'd like the bonus that the XP2200+ & GF4 Ti4200 will give me (now, where is that mobo at?) :devil:
                          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

lol, the problem with this comp is: It can't run games worth a $^#Q@$. So it's time to upgrade :)

Comment

A neighbor of ours is moving back east and he gave me his old Compaq Athelon 700 machine. He said it never worked right and so he bought a MAC.

It's got built in firewire, dvd, cdrw, 40 gig hd and a few extra slots available.

He wanted me to have the puter cause he knew I tinkered a bit with them.

I had it up and running just fine in a day, went and offered it back to him in working order. LOL....he turned it down saying.. "If all the money I spent on Tech support couldn't fix it, it wasn't worth having."

It's not the fastest thing in the world but it's full of extras.

I popped some more memory in it, hooked my scanner to it, added it to the network and am using it for my graphics. Seems to work pretty well. All it needs now is a video card upgrade and I think it will be good to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X