Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte GA X79 UD7 won't boot. Post code "B2 legacy rom initilization".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA X79 UD7 won't boot. Post code "B2 legacy rom initilization".

Hey guys,

Hopeing you guys can hit me with some ideas on how to overcome this issue.

Brand new Gigabyte GA X79 UD7. Not a new build, just a new board for an existing build. Installed the motherboard and since it's first boot until now it doesn't boost. Every time the same issue.

Stalls on B2 in its post check and freezes on the gigabyte splash screen. Manual says "legacy rom initilization." Whatever that means.

i7 3820
    Gigabyte GA X79 UD7
    Gigabyte GTX Titan
    Corsair Vengenance 16GB memory
    Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD
    WD Velociraptor 320GB HDD
    Corsair AX1200i

Windows 8 64bit

Dell U2412M Portrait Surround

Intitally I thought my USB keyboard wasn't responding because I couldn't enter the BIOS. So changed to a PS2 keyboard but same thing. So I know it's just locking up. Stays on the gigabyte splash screen for a few minutes then restarts and does the same thing.

Ram works. GTX Titan works. HDDs work. CPU works. So it's none of them causing it but what I'm thinking is, is my CPU supported with whatever BIOS that came pre-installed on the board? Box says I'm F7 or newer but that isn't specific. Only problem is without a supported CPU I can't update the BIOS to get it to support my CPU. So before I disassemble my waterloop and take it to some shop to get that done could this be anything else? I will clear the CMOS and leave the battery out overnight and see if that helps but I've cleared it several times already so I'm not sure how much of a difference overnight will make compared to 20min but we will see.

Any help is very much appreciated. I'm really out of ideas and just want this thing to boot after putting all the effort into assembling the watercooling and modding the case.

Thanks guys.

Re: Gigabyte GA X79 UD7 won't boot. Post code "B2 legacy rom initilization".

X79 - GA-X79-UD7 (rev. 1.0) Cpu Support List shows that your i7-3820 cpu requires bios version F9, and F9 is the lowest bios version listed in the chart. GA-X79-UD7 (rev. 1.0) Bios Downloads shows that the available bios versions are F9, F10, and F11w.

Make sure that you have unplugged the A.C. power cable to your power supply before doing the overnight CMOS clear.
    Disconnect your drives and all other hardware that isn't needed to boot into the bios.
    Try booting with only one memory module installed in the correct memory slot.
    Double check that all wires and cables are secure.

Page 20 in your motherboard user manual says:
    BIOS Switch Button
    The button allows users to easily select a different BIOS for boot up or overclocking, helping to reduce BIOS failure during overclocking. Press the button to switch between the main BIOS and backup BIOS. The green LED indicates the main BIOS is active and the blue LED indicates the backup BIOS is active.
    Give this a try.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Re: Gigabyte GA X79 UD7 won't boot. Post code &quot;B2 legacy rom initilization&quot;.

Originally posted by profJim View Post
      X79 - GA-X79-UD7 (rev. 1.0) Cpu Support List shows that your i7-3820 cpu requires bios version F9, and F9 is the lowest bios version listed in the chart. GA-X79-UD7 (rev. 1.0) Bios Downloads shows that the available bios versions are F9, F10, and F11w.

Make sure that you have unplugged the A.C. power cable to your power supply before doing the overnight CMOS clear.
      Disconnect your drives and all other hardware that isn't needed to boot into the bios.
      Try booting with only one memory module installed in the correct memory slot.
      Double check that all wires and cables are secure.

Page 20 in your motherboard user manual says:
      Give this a try.
      Thanks mate.

Hopefully an overnight clear of the CMOS can get me into the BIOS to update it. Will report back tomorrow.

Comment

Re: Gigabyte GA X79 UD7 won't boot. Post code &quot;B2 legacy rom initilization&quot;.

Any other Video card?

.....with new board Main and Backup BIOS are same.

Comment

I can't contribute, but nice looking build... Clean.

it'll suck if you have to take it apart.

Vin
          Main Rig
          OS = Win10-64Bit
          CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
          Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
          MB = Asus ROG C6H
          GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
          HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
          PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
          Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
          OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
          CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
          Mem = 24GB RAM
          MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
          GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
          HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
          Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
          PSU = Corsair TX750
          Case = Define R5

Comment

Originally posted by stasio View Post
            Any other Video card?

.....with new board Main and Backup BIOS are same.
            Testing with an older "lower end" video card is an excellent suggestion.
            Your Titan video card might be part of the problem and you might need to flash to the newest motherboard bios version for your motherboard to work. Sometimes a recently released video card would work when it was installed in one of the other (non-recommended) pci-e x16 slots.

I don't care if the main and backup bios versions are identical.
            It is a quick and easy test to flip the bios switch to confirm that there isn't a problem with the main bios chip.
            I've long since learned not to skip any test just because it "couldn't possibly" be related to a problem.
            A good example of this is where there was a problem with the front panel usb 3.0 cable connection to the motherboard.
            In another thread, the OP's system finally booted after I suggested that he disconnect all usb devices and his system booted with no problems. When he started connecting his disconnected devices, one at a time, his system failed to boot after he reconnected the front panel usb 3.0 cable.

The OP is using "known good" components with a brand new motherboard.
            There could be a problem with one or more of the "known good" components with his new motherboard.

Jumping to conclusions by making assumptions is the worst possible way to troubleshoot anything.
            Sometimes using common sense to skip some tests can delay finding the problem.

This might not be the best example, but we've seen many times where the problems magically disappeared when the OP finally followed our suggestion to remove the motherboard from the computer case for testing to see if this would make a difference.
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
              Testing with an older "lower end" video card is an excellent suggestion.
              Your Titan video card might be part of the problem and you might need to flash to the newest motherboard bios version for your motherboard to work. Sometimes a recently released video card would work when it was installed in one of the other (non-recommended) pci-e x16 slots.

I don't care if the main and backup bios versions are identical.
              It is a quick and easy test to flip the bios switch to confirm that there isn't a problem with the main bios chip.
              I've long since learned not to skip any test just because it "couldn't possibly" be related to a problem.
              A good example of this is where there was a problem with the front panel usb 3.0 cable connection to the motherboard.
              In another thread, the OP's system finally booted after I suggested that he disconnect all usb devices and his system booted with no problems. When he started connecting his disconnected devices, one at a time, his system failed to boot after he reconnected the front panel usb 3.0 cable.

The OP is using "known good" components with a brand new motherboard.
              There could be a problem with one or more of the "known good" components with his new motherboard.

Jumping to conclusions by making assumptions is the worst possible way to troubleshoot anything.
              Sometimes using common sense to skip some tests can delay finding the problem.

This might not be the best example, but we've seen many times where the problems magically disappeared when the OP finally followed our suggestion to remove the motherboard from the computer case for testing to see if this would make a difference.
              Just had a similar experience with my g1 assassin 2
              got a new card,no boot,replace older card boot fine,update bios to latest beta from gigabyte website,boot with new card BUT no audio or network even after re-installing,update to latest beta from here,same story :( throw gigabyte board on junk pile use old asrock x79 no worries...
              Who releases bios with no audio or network ?

Comment

Working...
              X