Specs of my current itx-gamer build:
    PC-Q25B
    ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
    2x4gb 2400mhz ddr3
    EVGA GTX 460(temporary)
    Silverstone ST45SF-G
    Samsung 840 120gb
    Other WD drives

I had been eyeing this case for a while. It was the only case I could find without a 5.25" drive bay. I haven't used a optical drive in years. Well, actually maybe a couple times per year, but I use a usb dvd-burner when I do. I've also been wanting to make the switch to itx ever since these high-end itx motherboards came out. Finally got the last bulk of my parts earlier this year and I'm in love. Nowadays I believe if you only plan on having one GPU then itx is the way to go, 2 GPU's and bump up to mATX.

I'm definately not finished with my build due to lacking funds and unsure about the final direction I'm going with the case.(Maybe even changing to the silver version)

After having this case a short while these are some things I've noticed:

-It's awesome we can fit long GPU's. I easily fit a Sapphire 7950 while testing recently. But why go to all that trouble of making sure there is room for a long GPU and then put the power button right in the way at the end of it? Couldn't it be moved to allow a tad more room for GPU/Cables/Etc..
    -A removable tray for the hot-swap bay would be nice. I purchased a hd-h32 in hopes it would fit or I could mod it. It sorta fits. I have my SSD in it in the bay, but it is a tad loose and the end sticks out too far hitting the case sidepanel. I can easily cut the end off or I may cut slits and bend it to make it look nicer.
    -Please supply a PSU adapter for ATX to SFX. The one that comes with my ST45SF-G is grey and looks tacky. I am unable to find one online that would look nice. It would be cool to have a matching adapter.
    -My top fan is noisy from factory. I hear of others having noisy fans. Please supply quality fans.
    -I think I have the newest version of the hot-swap backplane. The layout still needs adjusting. You can't have 90-degree angle cables in the top 2 ports. It kinda can work but is crammed. It's hard to find true right-angle cables cause when searching they think you mean 90-degree angle, but the two are different.

Otherwise I like everything about the case, things like:
    -Single rolled piece of aluminum from front to rear
    -Smooth front face with only power button and logo
    -The hot-swap drive bay
    -Room for highend GPU's
    -The removable bottom tray
    -The overall durability of everything
    -The layout of everything is damn near perfect

I really hope that Lian-Li is working on developing more cases without 5.25" bays. The extra hard drive room is amazing! Slowly as people accumulate more drives, I believe we will start to see 6 ports as standard instead of 4. Lian-Li, I need more case choices without 5.25", you're my only hope!

I just saw the new ASUS maximus VI impact itx motherbard and fell in love. Mostly because of its sound features. I am waiting for it to come out and most likely will sell my current mobo,proc,ram so I can upgrade.
    Thought about selling my case too during that upgrade so I can purchase the silver version. Then everything inside would mostly be silver aluminum with some red. I was thinking I could do things like polish the sides of the hard drives to show off their aluminum and do this to the rest of the parts inside. An all-aluminum(well mostly) case theme would look pretty sweet. Get silver-braided cables. Possibly build a new PSU case-housing out of aluminum to match. And then silence everything.

Since I don't need the wifi features these boards provide, I have been looking at the BPLUS PM9172 sata to mini-pcie adapter to allow more hard drives internally.

A couple of mods I planned that have been cancelled:
    -Since the case lacks front-panel audio I was looking for a way to add it.I usually have headphones and desktop speakers hooked up. If I replace the wifi mini-pcie for sata ports, that will free up 2 small holes where the antennas go and I was thinking I could put a front-panel audio port there. Currently I'm just using a usb headset and have my desktop speakers on the rear port. Now, I'm not sure what audio config I would use for that new ASUS itx board.
    -I kinda need a memory-card reader. I was considering putting a front-panel reader in the hot-swap drive bay and I could remove the side panel when using it. I don't really do this often enough and have other means of accessing memory cards.

I guess that's all I can think of right now. This is mostly a message to Lian-Li in hope they make more cases like this and address some concerns.

Re: Review and thoughts about PC-Q25

Hi nav985,

Thanks for going into detail about your likes and dislikes of the PC-Q25. I glad to see that you are are a big fan of Mini-ITX. IMO, for certain builds it is all you need. Even though it can be hard to get into, once you there it is hard to go back. :)

As for the ODD bay, how do you feel about having in a case, but also having it double as an HDD bay? This way it adds more versatility.

Comment

Hello,

Are you talking about the ODD bay in the new PC-Q27?

Personally, for me and my build I don't like the ODD bay. I like the clean look of the front face without it. If I need to use a ODD for any reason I will hook up an external USB ODD drive.

With that said, If you must put a ODD bay in the case, then having that versatility is a plus. For instance, I been trying to pick out one of your mini-itx cases for my mother's new build. She is currently using an ATOM net-top and I want to keep the form-factor small, but using more powerful, standard, upgradable pc components(I can't really upgrade her net-top). Other features I am looking for that she needs: at least 2 HDD space - one for SDD and one for storage, gpu slot is a plus so I could add something like gtx 650, and ODD is optional for her. She can use an external usb drive also. I like the slim ODD that's in the pc-q02, but it's kinda hard to find a drive to fit in there. Searching, I did find some for around $30.

I think my mom does what most moms do on a computer, play basic games and surf the net. It's driving me crazy she isn't using an SSD yet and I feel sad for her haha. She doesn't really need headphones so its okay some of your cases don't have front-panel audio. I do believe someone like her and other moms could benefit from having 4 front-panel USB ports. Her net-top is lacking enough ports and she uses a small hub, so I'm hoping to improve that with next build. Most motherboards have 8 on the rear now. Also, I would always want a GPU slot in any of my itx cases, but I think that my mom may can get by using on-board since she doesn't play heavy graphics games.

She sorta, kinda could use a media card reader too. I wish there was a way to incorporate one without jacking up the front of the case. Could you put one on the front-sides like the usb and audio ports?

Just realized my case doesn't have a dual-led power switch and I kinda want one now :(

The tower design is most pleasing to the eye. I like the idea of the pc-q16 but it just doesn't have that "wow" factor. I think most people dis-like shuttle cases (: My pc-q25 is like a mini version of a full-pc. I have everything they would have plus more! I like the fact that my case can easily double as a NAS build or for high-end gaming. You can really do BOTH at the same time with it!!

I am still drooling over this new ASUS impact itx board. It has everything I can dream of. Only wish it had more sata ports instead of wifi.

Ever thought of adding room for front-panel audio jacks to the back of a case?

My side-panel installation is robust and can be pulled off and put back on many many times. That is a plus. I see your new design in pictures. It looks better, but haven't tried it. On my case, technically you are wearing out the little nipples? each time you remove it. Your new design appears to slide into place, so there is almost no parts that get worn out. Seems smart. Hmm, but it looks like metal may rub against metal upon release??

I kinda like the cases with ports on the front-sides. This cleans up the front-face of the case while still allowing easy access to the ports.

IDEA: Ditch the front logo and cut-out your name "LIAN-LI" in the front face. This would be stylish and also an extra hole for air to be sucked in from. You could add a couple "slots" on each side of it like those on the rest of the case. Maybe add a tiny filter if needed. I think the current logo is one of those metal-like emblem stickers inserted into a pressed hole?

Nothing wrong with the feet!

I don't mind you supplying PSU's. I would trust a PSU supplied by you. Probably include them in cases without GPU slots??

All I can think of for now, Thanks for listening to my thoughts!

Comment

Yes, I was talking about the ODD design with the PC-Q27. It does provide a nice trade-off between people that want a standard ODD drive and those that just want more storage. The PC-Q02 you mentioned also has this design. I, in fact, use the PC-Q02 as my office PC, and equipped with a SSD and a mechanical hard drive does well and is not much bigger than a netbook. You can't really fit a discreet card in it, but if your mom is not playing any intensive games an APU might work.

Interesting idea with the front logo. One thing is, not sure if would be able to see that it is a vent clearly on a black case.

Comment

Working...
        X