Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Cards

G'days.
    I would like to know what the best network card is out there, as i attend LANs.
    I already have 2 10/100 network cards. Would a 100mbps increase bandwith, for my leeching ?

100megabit over what? 10? If so then the answer is yes. It does provide alot more bandwidth even though the internet has still not reached 10megabit. When you have multiple people all doing stuff they require a largeer amount of bandwidth. I recnetly installed ethernet in my home (a months ago) over an upgrade of 10megabit PNA. And I got an increase of about 100-300Kbps.

Comment

If you already have 10/100 cards they will run at 100mbps if they are properly configured and hooked to a 100mbps network. I'm sure that your lan parties are set up with 100mbps gear, so that's what your current cards will work at.

Comment

3 nics in 1 box is a bit much don't ya think? :D

Comment

Lets say i have a LAN setup of 5 comps......if all comps r using a 10/100 NIC's and 1 is using a 10mbps NIC..will my network always run at 10mbps?

Comment

The rest of the network will run at 100mbps with a switch for sure, and I think with a hub too(it's been too long since I've used a hub and anything 10mbps).

Comment

With a 10/100 switch you'll run at the higher rate but with almost all hubs you'll be dropped to the lowest connection speed. :smokin:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                With a 10/100 switch you'll run at the higher rate but with almost all hubs you'll be dropped to the lowest connection speed. :smokin:
                <center>:cheers:</center>
                Wiggo bein correct again mahn. But buyin da switch aint bein no cheap no. I thinkin you should be upgraden da 10 to da 100, mahn.

Comment

IMO the best NIC is the Intel PRO/100 :)
                  At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

agreein wit da reap'r

Comment

Working...
                    X