ASUS P4S8X and SIIG AP-40 scsi card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P4S8X and SIIG AP-40 scsi card

Just purchased the p4s8x mboard (and THEN read about all the problems with it!!).

But it seems to run ok UNTIL I plug in my scsi card to run two CD drives. I get instant BSOD before the Windows startup logo appears; it worked flawlessly in a P3 600mhz machine (also an asus mb) using WinXP Pro (no SP1).

I have read and tried almost every tweak for this board as mentioned in various forums.
    updated BIOS
    switched PCI slots
    played with voltage settings, disables, memory speeds, etc.

The funny thing is it originally booted and Windows "added new hardware" (and re-booted on its own many times before settling down and working -- ONCE -- then only one more time after that) , but now will never start up Windows (safe mode or otherwise) until I unplug the card.

I know this is probably a software problem, but it has always worked until this new board was installed.

mb: asus p4s8x
    cpu: Intel P4 2.53ghz
    video: ATI Radeon 8500dv
    mem: 2-512mb Kingston DDR pc2700
    sound: Audiophile 2496 (and on-board CMaudio)
    (disabling onboard sound didn't change anything)

Any other avenues to follow...?

Thanks
    DeRoc

Did you try installing one part at a time. CPU then power up, memory, and so forth and so on. Or, disable all onboard features that you're not using - firewire, raid, usb 2.0. Or go to asusboards.com and search there as well.

Good luck.

OB

Comment

A couple of thoughts:

Are you running Winxp on this box?

Can you install the drivers without the card being in the box?

Is the pci bus at 33mz?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions--

I actually found an old Techram SCSI card I've had for years, AND IT WORKED!! I still have no idea why the SIIG card won't let WinXP start up, and the SIIG website wasn't much help.

But at least I've got my CD's back online, so I will be happy about that.

...if it ain't broke (for now)...I won't fix it (again)

Thanks again,
        DeRoc

Comment

Originally posted by DeRoc
          Just purchased the p4s8x mboard (and THEN read about all the problems with it!!).

But it seems to run ok UNTIL I plug in my scsi card to run two CD drives. I get instant BSOD before the Windows startup logo appears; it worked flawlessly in a P3 600mhz machine (also an asus mb) using WinXP Pro (no SP1).

I have read and tried almost every tweak for this board as mentioned in various forums.
          updated BIOS
          switched PCI slots
          played with voltage settings, disables, memory speeds, etc.

The funny thing is it originally booted and Windows "added new hardware" (and re-booted on its own many times before settling down and working -- ONCE -- then only one more time after that) , but now will never start up Windows (safe mode or otherwise) until I unplug the card.

I know this is probably a software problem, but it has always worked until this new board was installed.

mb: asus p4s8x
          cpu: Intel P4 2.53ghz
          video: ATI Radeon 8500dv
          mem: 2-512mb Kingston DDR pc2700
          sound: Audiophile 2496 (and on-board CMaudio)
          (disabling onboard sound didn't change anything)

Any other avenues to follow...?

Thanks
          DeRoc

Try to just use One set of memory:cheers:

Comment

Working...
          X