My ASRock Z87 Extreme9/AC motherboard seems to fry gaming mice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My ASRock Z87 Extreme9/AC motherboard seems to fry gaming mice

I spent enough for a romantic dinner with Paris Hilton for my ASRock Z87 Extreme9/AC motherboard and it's going through gaming mice like Kleenex. My Corsair Vengeance M60 FPS mouse worked fine until reboot and then its cursor disappeared. I replaced it with a new Corsair Vengeance M65 FPS mouse and it died entirely after reboot; its LED lights wouldn't glow. I experimented with an old Sound Blaster Fatal1ty gaming mouse which worked until reboot and became unusable and erratic. An old Razer mouse I had would glow, and its cursor move about the screen, but its clicks wouldn't work. Later my Corsair Vengeance M65 FPS mouse would blink its LED, and in Device Manager it's correctly named but represented as a keyboard, and this blinks, too. What's worse is that the option to update its driver is shaded and troubleshooting it returns no problems found. Has anyone in here had the same problems? My USB gaming keyboard and printer survive reboots, and I didn't plug these gaming mice into a USB 3.0, but what gives? Is it possible that my motherboard spikes its USB 2.0 ports, frying my gaming mice? I'm perplexed and bummed. Thank you.

Re: My ASRock Z87 Extreme9/AC motherboard seems to fry gaming mice

Any chance you have the AppCharger program installed? That works on the USB 2.0 ports, to increase the speed that devices like cell phones are charged. That must surpass the 0.5 Amp standard current limit of USB 2.0. It also keeps the USB 2.0 power rails on when the PC is shutdown.

Beyond that, I have no idea if the Corsair mouse you used can negotiate the power that is supplied to it, as some USB devices can do. Or if that negotiation is not done once AppCharger is installed. Or if any of that matters, since simply because more current (Amps) are available from a power source, does not necessarily mean that they will be drawn by the connected device. I don't use the mice you use, but if it had such simple circuitry that it would draw more current than it needed, that would be a poor design.

Comment

Re: My ASRock Z87 Extreme9/AC motherboard seems to fry gaming mice

I believe that my motherboard has this feature. I didn't think of this. I'll try to locate it in my programs list and uninstall it. Last night I noticed a rhythmic chime in my headphones in synchronicity with my Corsair Vengeance M65 FPS mouse's faint blinking. If this is the cause of my gaming mouse woes I hope other people read this and take heed; and I agree, a poor design. The Corsair Vengeance M65 FPS should by all rights be an outstanding gaming mouse as it has a top sensitivity of 8,200dpi and a Corsair exclusive Sniper button that plunges the mouse to 400-800dpi for drift-free scoped rifle shots against faraway targets. Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
      X