New Case, Old internals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Case, Old internals

I know this isn't really related to modding, but i figured that since you guys do mod, then this type of question will be pretty much a no-brainer, and Dell really isn't answering as fast as i would like them to.

I bought a new case (you guys might have noticed my post on bezel-modding) with the intention of building a new computer, but the funds just haven't reappeared at the rate I would have liked them to... I realized my old Dell Dimension XPS T700r is really not that bad, anyway, and I'm getting antsy to use my new case, so I've decided to move the old Dell into the new case.

I do have a few questions, though... on a preliminary exam, I noticed that the plugs going to and from the power button, reset button, and each of the lights, are separate on the new case, whereas they are one cord in the dell. The motherboard seems to be built for the one-cord option, but it looks like if i just new the right location on the motherboard pins to put the new cords, they would probably fit where the old single-cord used to. So, any suggestions on that would be highly appreciated. You can view a diagram of the system board here. I believe number 6 is the particular connector i am referring to.

Also, the Dell power supply is 200W, but the new one that came with my case is a 350W. Is that a case for concern? should i use the old power supply in the new case?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks so much!

~ Jannae.

I know its [H]ard but hold off as the time and possible probs IMHO just arn't worth it. Leave the Dell as is and please be patient. : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

ok.....the reason why dell does this is becuase its there system there board and there case. THe dell board will NOT work in a new case and a new board will NOT work in that case. You have to use everything that comes with the new case. Also as for the power supply only being 200 in the dell. Its not bad its just taht's another one of the many ways that these comp mfg's use to save even more money for the end user. YOU. let alone wanting to use the 200 watter I dought it'll even fit.

Comment

Dell also does one of the sorryest things a manufacturer could do. They have made many of their power supplies (and matching mobos) with NON-STANDARD wiring! They have not indicated on the psus or mobos that they are catastrophicly incompatable with standard psus and mobos. Hook up a standard psu to one of their bobby-trapped mobos and watch the mobo blow out. Same thing the other way around too. I think they are absolute jerks for not at least putting big red warning lables on the mutant parts. the only reason for this is to make people buy parts at inflated prices from them. It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever buy products from a company that stoops to such tactics. Yours may be from a time before they started doing this, but I'm not sure.

Comment

Well, i was afraid you guys would say stuff like this.... man... i guess i'll just have to wait until i get more money in the bank for my new setup. that SUCKS!! :cry:

anyway... i'm rather disturbed and disappointed about your last statement.... mainly because even if i did get a new setup, i was planning on moving my dell into a new case anyway. The dell case is HORRIBLE for cooling. the case is a THICK plastic with an inside layer of aluminum. It only has one fan which is is part of the heat-sink assembly and is blocked so as to only cool the processor. which leaves the rest of my mobo and the Hard drives cooking. if the case could be modded, i would have no idea where to begin. how do you mod a plastic case with an aluminum interior?

Oh well. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for your help!

Comment

Umm, a power drill, a 3" hole saw and a few 80mm fans should do the job there. ;)
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

A dremel and/or jig saw would also help out in the quest for better cooling.

Comment

Working...
              X