Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bios settings on MSI KT333 ULTRA ???

Hi all ,

This forum seems to be the only one with the know how to perhaps help me !

My sys ..MSI KT333 ULTRA mobo , creative audigy soundcard , Creative Geforce 4 TI 4400 , 512 DDR Ram , Xp 2200 processor .

Problem : I got the sys with an OS installed , Win XP , but as it wasnt my copy I reformatted the HD and tried then to install Win98/ Xp . I kept getting repeated varying blue screen crashes when the FSB was set to 133 , so changed the BIOS settings to default and no problems . I updated my via chipset drivers , got all the latest drivers for the cards, even flashed my mobo BIOS with the latest update from the website. The system is completely stable at default settings with the FSB at 100 , the processor runs at 1500 .

However , if I set the FSB to 133 , the system becomes totally unstable . Again varying blue screen crashes . I set the spread spectrum to disabled as per the manual to enhance stability but still no joy. The MSI website states the processor is supported , but with the ratio at 13.5 However , this ration is not in the BIOS Settings .

Help ! Why cant I get my system to run at normal processr speeds ?? I`ve switched the DDR ram in its slot , no change !:snip:

Thanks for your time ,

Gerry

ps I see other posts re the KT333 chipset on here + the Audigy soundcard causing problems ..maybe the issue ??

If there were an issue between the Audigy and the chipset, then it would more than likely be present no matter what the FSB was set to.

Check in the BIOS for the memory settings. Many motherboards will allow you to run the memory at the FSB +33MHz. This equates to the memory being forced to run at 166MHz instead of it's native 133MHz. This would cause instabilities at the higher speed if your memory is crapping out on you. Set it to HOST or BY SPD and you should be set. If it still causes problems at only the higher FSB setting, then try to check in the Device Manager and look for any conflicts.

And if you have an Award BIOS, then you can check out TweakTown's AMD OC Guide and it has some of the tweakable settings listed. A lot of it will be a matter of trial and error, though, since every system will act a little differently.

Good luck! :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Hi ,

Thats the first useful help I`ve had so far . I may be a bit slow on the pick up though ! If I enter the advanced chipset settings, what should I set the SDRAM setting to ? it says HCLK , HCLK + 33 , HCLK + 66 . I`ve tried HCLK + 33 but was still unstable. I`ve checked the system config and there are no conflicts.

One error message at the FSB 133 setting was

stop 0xc0000005 , 0x8056187b , oxf89893e4 , 0x000000000

Still trying !

Thanks again ,

Gerry

Comment

1.) What is the speed of your ram (PC2100, PC2700, PC3200???)
        2.) What size is your power supply?? For that processor,ram, motherboard, and video card you need atleast 400 watts (Name brand: Enermax, antec).
        3.) Your processor maybe over heating, what kind of heatsink does it have and what is the temp.
        4.) Try increasing the VCore voltage a little, you can do that where you adjust the FSB. (Only do this if you know you are not overheating)
        5.) Read the following article, you may have the infinite loop.http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64

And like was stated earlier make sure to have the Ram speed set at HCLK (you can increase it later if you are sure you have compatible ram for that speed).

I have this same motherboard and I am very stable in both Windows XP and Linux with my FSB overclocked to 150 and my Ram speed at 183. So I would check those things I mentioned above.

Comment

Hi ,

I was getting depserate till your post ! My system came back from the builder with XP already installed , so I`m presuming its not the endless loop problem. The blue screen errors they describe dont sound like mine .

I`m no expert tweaker ..lol I think my power supply is 300 watt. I`ve checked the processor temp is fine ..but again if this was a problem then the builder wouldnt have been able to install XP ?

I`m going to switch the setting to HCLK as suggested now , with the FSB at 133 and the spread spectrum set to disabled. I`v also , thanks to this site, uodated to XP SP 1 and will see if that helps.

My ram is pc2100 crucial DDR.

I`ll let u know how I get on ...but I think if anyone can fix this problem , u can !!

Thanks ,

Gerry

Comment

Hi ,

Hmm , no joy. If it was an overheating problem, wouldnt it be impossible to format the drive , would just crash then ? It frustrates me that the builder had the sys operating at max speed, but he claims he just installed the OS with no problems . However, I had this problem with the sys prior to sending for a gfx card upgrade , implying its some BIOS setting.

I`ve got a feeling its just some BIOS tweak , but I`m out of my league here !

Gerry

Comment

I have fought the Infinite Loop problem on and off for the past year and I have learned alot from it. For one thing A system, such as yours running XP2200, DDR Ram, Nvidia 4400 Video card and other things must have atleast a 400 watt power supply or you are looking for trouble. AMD recommends atleast 350 watt for there XP Processor and that is only for the processor, nothing else. So the video card and everything draws a lot also.

For example, I had a 300 watt power supply in my computer for about 9 months without having the Infite loop problem, then I updated to a much better video card, and bam I had it again. I ended up having to reload my computer because the lack of power messed up some of the registry settings and what not. But once I got my new power supply 480watt Antec, no more problems. One thing you may want to do is take out all of your PCI cards except the video card and see if it works now.

All I know is that that XP is notorious for locking up and restarting the computer. I would highly recommend you go to http://forums.viaarena.com/ and read and search under the Windows XP link I am sure you will find something.

As for the distributor having it working, that very well may be the case. Why don't you take a look at Dell's and Gateway's forums, I know they have had a lot of complaints about the infinite loop in the past but yet they build the computer and test it (supposedly) before it leaves. So it may have worked for them but not for you, that is very common. So read up on the via forums and do some searches on google...you will see what I am talking about.

Comment

Comment

Don't know to much about Hiperpower, but lets just hope it supplys enough power on the 3.3 and 5 volt rails, but more than like with the overall power it should...good luck.

Comment

Hi all ,

First of all my thanks to everyone that gave me advice !!:thumb:

The issue here seems to be power hungry systems and VIA chipsets. I bought a Hiperpower PSu 520 watt , installed it , and .....BINGO system works like a treat !

Lol I dont work for Hiperpower , but the three fan PSU I got really rox. My CPU temp is now 41 celsius , and the system temp 35 .

Finally my system is up and working again...

Cheers guys ,

Gerry:cheers:

Comment

Hi again,

Well lol I now have to eat my words. My CPU now seems quite comfortable with the FSB as 133 , but if I go to run any games like Battlefield 1942 , it just cuts out when I`m due to start a level. The intro plays fine ..its the gameplay which crashes.

Thinking it was the Beta 40.72 det driver causing the prob , I uninstalled it and put in the WHQL certified driver..but no joy. The games work fine at the lower FSB of 100 , implying its a stability issue at the higher FSB than a driver problem.

What now ? I havent reset any of the voltage supplies for the CPU etc.. should I do this ?

Currently the VCORE is 1.65 , 3.3 v is running at 3.28 , the 5 volt is at 4.87 , and the 12volt is at 12.03

Thanks again , o wise ones :flames:

Gerry

Comment

Hi

One brief question too ..I see that my Geforce 4 Ti 4400 is located on IRQ 16 ..as is the OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 host controller . What exactly is the latter ? And could there be a problem there with both on the same IRQ ? ( although this would cause crashes at the lower FSB too )

Gerry

Comment

Those all look fine, so now we're up to either still a heat issue or video driver related. It would be great to see a link with a pic of your case though. Another thing is what was the actual error that time? The Event Viewer (control panel/admin tools/event viewer) logs these problems so give us a run down on what errors that's reporting. That may give me or someone else something to go on but if it was me I'd have had that straight back to where ya got it from (a PC doesn't leave here for it's owner's hands till it's completed 100hrs of torture without a hiccup). ;)
                          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Gee I should've been a bit slower on the post then. :(

Yes that could very well be the problem so try to get the video an IRQ to itself and it may very well only happen as you increase the FSB. :)
                            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Hi ..or in the words of the Martians , " Oooh - La "

Ok , how do I change the IRQ settings ? Wouldnt this problem be evident at the lower FSB setting ??

Lol why do u want a pic of my miserable case ?? The mobo comes with a little prog called Cooler XP , running this at the mo gives a Cpu temp of 36 celsius , 96 fahrenheit. System temp 33 C .

Hmm the event viewer has several recent hiccups ...

7000 cannot find the file specified
                              category 102 ..event 1003 ..no info from Microsoft website

Another weird thing I`ve noticed is that after some crashes , the system clock seems to reset back to about a month ago , but the mobo battery is ok as far as I know .

Lol dont get me started about getting the system back to its builder . The last time I had a problem I sent it back , he claimed he couldnt find any faults, and sent it back to me with his copy of XP installed. I of course reformatted and tried to install my own , and ever since its been a tale of woe :shoot2:

How he could get the system working at max and I cant , is a source of much frustration to me.

Also depsite being sent by courier the last time , the fan was dislodged inside the case ( lucky no damage) and the case dented. I`ve had it checked over since and its ok inside.

I now dream of the " Endless Loop " ...............................

Gerry :eek:

Ps Is Wiggo like a Yoda on here , except taller ??

Comment

Working...
                              X