Z87E-ITX & PSU Noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87E-ITX & PSU Noises

So I have been having issues with my PSU from my new build with the Z87E-ITX motherboard.

I have replaced 3 PSUs because it has been making buzzing type noises. The current one is a Seasonic 760W Platinium brand new PSU and isn't the worst, but its still there if you listen for it.

So I have started to wonder, is it possible my motherboard or something else is incompatible with my PSUs?

Anyone have issues with this motherboard? Any other ideas?

Here is my complete specs.

Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5GHz Quad Core
    ASRock Z87E Mini ITX
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 1866 RAM
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770 2GB Overclock Edition
    Samsung 840 Series 500GB SSD
    SeaSonic Platinum 760W PSU Modular
    BitFenix Prodigy Mini ITX Black Case
    27" 2560x1440 IPS LED Monitor & 24" 1920x1200 IPS LCD Monitor

Re: Z87E-ITX & PSU Noises
    1. Is your cpu or memory overclocked? If yes, please provide details.
    2. How is all of your equipment connected to the wall outlet? Surge protector? One power strip? Uninterruptible power supply?
    3. Is the buzzing sound the same at all times? Does it vary when your system has a very light or very heavy load?
    4. Is there any buzzing sound when your system sleeps, hibernates or is turned off using the case power switch?
    5. If you boot into safe mode, is there any change in the buzzing sound?
    6. Is there any hardware in your system that is loose or not properly secured?
    7. You should test your system by removing components one at a time, such as network cable, one monitor then the other monitor, GTX 770 video card, any add-in cards, printer, speakers, etc. If you are using any "special" hardware such as wireless keyboard or mouse, and try to substitute "regular" hardware.
    8. Disconnect the network cable and any Wi-Fi or usb cables (e.g. printer cable) if they are connected to your system.
    9. You might need to repeat a minimal hardware test with your power supply outside of the computer case with the psu as far away from the case as is possible based on the shortest psu power cable that needs to be connected to your system.
    10. If needed, can you test your system in a friend's house using his peripheral hardware?

Buzzing noises or coil whine can also some from a video card and/or motherboard.

Be sure to post detailed results for each test and include a description for any buzzing sound changes.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Re: Z87E-ITX &amp; PSU Noises

Thanks for the response.

1. No neither of these are overclocked.
      2. They are connected to a surge protector, one I have used for quite some time.
      3. The sound appears to be the same all the time.
      4. No sound when the computer is off.
      5. It's hard to tell but it could be slightly louder in Safe Mode, but might just be my ears, and is the same.
      6. I have tried playing with everything in the system, things seem tight and properly in place.
      7. I have tried removing the network cable with no luck. I am going to try the video card next.
      8. I have done so, with no luck. Still noise.
      9. This might be hard for me to test, I paid for cable management, so taking the system apart will waste that money. I will try to do so as much as I can.

Will update when I have done a bit more testing with parts.

Comment

Re: Z87E-ITX &amp; PSU Noises

Well actually, when I went to take the videocard out, and had the system off, I was much closer to the PSU and it does still make the noise, until I turn the switch off and pull the plug.

Does this mean it is indeed a bad PSU? How can I have had 3 PSUs one after another be problematic?

Comment

Working...
        X