Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bottleneck

I was just thinking... :?:

Every system has a bottleneck right? No matter how fast or 'cutting edge' a system is, there is always that weak or slower component. :hammer:

Anyone tell me where mine would be? (system specs in my sig)

Where is yours? How do you figure it out?

Where is the most common place to bottleneck?

Just thinking... :geek:

:cheers:
    RAM
    0%
    CPU
    0%
    Motherboard
    0%
    HDD
    0%
    the user is the bottleneck
    0%
    <table width="225" height="100" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="100"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMD
    Athlon XP2500+ FSB333<br>
    Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
    2X256 Corsair XMS PC3200<br>
    80GB Deskstar 7200RPM</font>
    </p></td><td width="125"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sound
    Blaster Live!<br>
    Volcano 7+<br>
    GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB<br>
    19" TRINITRON CRT FLAT<br><br> ANTEC true430 PSU</font>
    </p></td></tr></table>

Usually, the LAN card is the bottleneck.

Depending on how high you overclock your system (meanin the world record-setting overclocks), the video card will become the bottleneck.

The motherboard can easily be a huge bottleneck, depending on how well it was manufactured, or even if it was designed to overclock.
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Comment

The CD-Rom is also a major bottleneck. The system can be running fine until you start loading in things from the cd-rom then things slow down to let it catch up. My biggest bottle neck would be probably my CPU. Then again I"m not sure. My system seems to run good but I wonder if I can get more performance out of my geforce 3 with a better CPU.

Comment

mine is the fact i currentlly don't have a CPU :(
        other than that my GF2

Comment

Your IBM even tho its 80 gigs and 7200 its has a really bad rep...other than that no real big bottle necks..
          - Damien

Comment

how do you not have a cpu? I'm confused. Typo maybe?

Comment

Yea..lol...i believe its a typo...
              - Damien

Comment

lol that's what I thought. Its bothering me though :(

Comment

Dead, warranty :cry:
                  been gone for about a month now :(
                  Should hopfully have it back tommorow :D

In the mean time i'm using a P200MMX with 48MB of EDO RAM!!! and a 1.2Gig Seagate HD, FEEL the POWER!!! :flames: :flames: :flames:

Comment

lol ya I miss my 486 33MHz machine :( . I also misturning off the turbo function and running it at 15MHz then turning on turbo and seeing the performance boost. It was like nitrous!

Comment

I have heard about the 'deathstar' talk, but I don't really buy it. Maybe when mine blows up I will.... as for now it has given me no problems and I have faith in IBM. They aren't known for making bad products, so I'm not afraid

:snip:

:laugh:

:eek:

:cheers:
                      <table width="225" height="100" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="100"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMD
                      Athlon XP2500+ FSB333<br>
                      Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
                      2X256 Corsair XMS PC3200<br>
                      80GB Deskstar 7200RPM</font>
                      </p></td><td width="125"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sound
                      Blaster Live!<br>
                      Volcano 7+<br>
                      GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB<br>
                      19" TRINITRON CRT FLAT<br><br> ANTEC true430 PSU</font>
                      </p></td></tr></table>

Comment

actually they only have problems with the 60GXP family it was fixed in the 70 family. But only certain ones are affected. If you look in my signature you'll notice that I have one as well. I have one from the 60GXP. But mine has no problems YET and I have had it for OVER A YEAR.

Comment

we need an 'none of the above' option for the answer, or 'all of the above', as my problem is that i never clean up / uninstall things off my hdd after i download or get at lans. i suppose this could be user error, but 'the user is never wrong' just ask 1/2 my clients, so then it would have to be either all of them are problems or none are :D

Comment

this would go under the "the user is the bottleneck" because its the users responsibility to keep there system all neat and tidy and defrag regularly. If you don't do this then its because of the user that the system over all lags out.

Comment

But mine has no problems YET and I have had it for OVER A YEAR.
                              *GASP* a new record!!!

lol ya I miss my 486 33MHz machine
                              I have a few of them laying around at home
                              recently had one running as a NT4 PDC :laugh:

Comment

Working...
                              X