PDA

View Full Version : XP Slow to run

kjharmon213
01-14-2002, 03:28 AM
After restart-Desktop appears-Clink on (Start) opens fine- It appears that as soon as windows needs hard drive it goes into a 2 min wait- I get an hourglass icon and then wait for hard drive light then everything works correctly for days until I have to restart and then I wait again. what can cause this -Ultra DMA mode 5 is set in properties

wuntvor
01-15-2002, 10:25 AM
have u gone through all ur startup stuff?

msconfig and see what all runs on bootup - lose what you don't need

maybe there's some services you have running that you don't need as well

Beefy
01-15-2002, 10:27 AM
umm.. XP doesn't come with an MSCONFIG utility, does it? you can download one somewhere though...

SileNceR
01-15-2002, 10:34 AM
yeah XP does, but 2k doesnt

Beefy
01-15-2002, 10:39 AM
sorry.. my mistake.. :) Thanks silencer...

Anonymous
01-15-2002, 12:00 PM
virus maybe buggy

Kheldar
01-17-2002, 05:59 PM
how much ram do you have cause if you only have a small amount (128 meg or less) it take a long to be ready for action when u frist start it

kjharmon213
01-17-2002, 06:21 PM
I have 512 DDR ram win XP ECS K7S5A 64 NVidia Ultra 40ghard drive sound blaster live value Its only slow to start the first time after reboot 2min. Example-- Push start open control panel push performance maintance -push system open hardware-push device manager pause 2min hard drive light activates then works like a champ for days until reboot I can live with it but why?

Wiggo
01-17-2002, 06:42 PM
Very strange as No.1 son has basically the same setup but it boots pretty quickly. :?:
<center>:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:</center>

SileNceR
01-17-2002, 10:42 PM
sorry.. my mistake.. :) Thanks silencer...

peeps not capitalising my name... sheeesh.... its only 3 letters!

there are thousands of silencers and SilenceRs and Silencers and SILENCERs out there, but AFAIK only the one SileNceR... its an individual name - keep it that way.... please :)

Murin
01-26-2002, 05:39 AM
I had exactly the same issue, when XP booted I got the desktop then it stopped, I could initiate applications but they would not start i.e. I could see them on the task manager but there were not moving. :angryfire What I did was to start up the service monitor at startup (run from the startbar services.msc) (fortunately this did run) and checked to see which services were starting, from that I could see that a service was in starting mode for a loooonnnnng time. In my case it was Microsoft's Background Intelligent Transfer service (BITS) which I subsequently disabled using services.msc, after which XP starts at a gallop :thumb:

Oldbugger
01-29-2002, 04:23 PM
There was some scuttlebut going around that the copy protection on XP wouldn't actually crash the system if it detected a copy...it would just slow thing down to an unbearable extent.......it happened with an "evaluation" version given to a friend of mine me by some filthy swine...of course he destroyed it .........:D :D :D

Might be crap but??

kjharmon213
01-29-2002, 06:07 PM
This is not a slowdown, its a pause after windows is fully loaded. My hard drives won't access for a 2 minutes but once they operate then all is well. Everything then runs great until I reboot then I wait again.

acheyenne
01-30-2002, 01:29 AM
Mine does the same thing. I just assumed it was life in the XP lane. Unlike Murin, I can't even get to the Start menu to run services.msc until XP completes whatever it is doing on startup, but I disabled BITS as he suggested, but that didn't help me. Some programs do run immediately, though, like Netscape. I'd be interested to know if this is normal startup, because it is sometimes annoying to have to wait if something can be tweaked to avoid it.

Beefy
01-30-2002, 05:46 AM
peeps not capitalising my name... sheeesh.... its only 3 letters!

there are thousands of silencers and SilenceRs and Silencers and SILENCERs out there, but AFAIK only the one SileNceR... its an individual name - keep it that way.... please :)

sorry silencer... :rolleyes:

Wiggo
01-30-2002, 06:19 AM
acheyenne[/size]]
I'd be interested to know if this is normal startup, because it is sometimes annoying to have to wait if something can be tweaked to avoid it.
It most definately isn't normal as both the K6-3+ and Athlon here boot very quickly into XP. :?:
<center>:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:</center>

acheyenne
01-30-2002, 08:07 AM
It does boot very quickly to the desktop, and I can immediately run Netscape, for example, and go happily to the internet or my email. But Windows Explorer, for example, will not start for a minute or so, until XP gets done doing whatever it's up to. Same with getting to the Start menu, so I can't run services.msc to see what the heck is holding it up.

Is yours fully functional as soon as the desktop comes up?

Wiggo
01-30-2002, 08:15 AM
Yes everything is. All apps and the network. ;)
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Murin
02-01-2002, 07:57 AM
Acheyenne,

You could try bootvis it shows what is running as XP initialises and may indicate what is holding you up.

I point you to this web page because it has a link to the app and gives quite a good description of its usage.

http://www.jsiinc.com/subj/tip4700/rh4710.htm

the site may also have other useful ideas

Regards and good luck

:cheers: Murin

acheyenne
02-01-2002, 10:14 AM
Thanks, Murin.

I'll give it a try and report back if I find out something that might be helpful to others with this problem..

Best regards,

acheyenne

Anonymous
02-07-2002, 02:53 AM
By chance, have you disabled MS Messenger from running at start up? I had a similar experiece when I first loaded XP Pro. XP knows I have a NIC and creates a LAN connection. I'm just guessing, but if Messenger is started up and XP thinks the PC has a LAN connection already, then it might be trying to use your network connection (which may not exist yet, so this is going to cause some wait states) to set up your Messenger service.

As soon as I went to the messenger icon in the System Tray and selected don't start Messenger on start up, then on my next restart, it came right up.

Don't know, might help,
dagger

wuntvor
02-08-2002, 11:06 AM
to disable MS messenger just run MSconfig - on the startup tab you'll see MSMSGS - untick it

here's another alternative too
http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=222

acheyenne
02-09-2002, 06:38 AM
dagger & wuntvor,

Yay!!! Thanks, you guys are on the right track! I disabled Messenger in XP services, (and also had to actually rename the folder as per wuntvor's link). I also set SNMP services to manual. Something in this combination has reduced the time for full boot by at least 30 seconds. After the desktop appears, there's still about 8 or 10 seconds of thrashing around before the start menu becomes available, but it's a huge improvement.

Thanks for your insights.

wuntvor
02-09-2002, 07:31 AM
good to hear acheyenne :thumb:

Wiggo
02-09-2002, 09:14 AM
acheyenne just as a thought, how much memory do you have? :?:
<center>:cheers:</center>

acheyenne
02-09-2002, 11:04 AM
512 PC2100 DDR 2-2-2

Asus A7V266-E