WOH!! A super hidden directory!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOH!! A super hidden directory!

I got a problem. This is actually bugging me even though its not my computer. Its my brother's computer. Today he decided to install a demo of need for speed hot pursuit 2 and he made a mistake and uninstalled it, but it didn't uninstall the demo it deleted the entire games directory. But its not totally gone. THe space that it takes up (a few gig) IS STILL THERE! The shortcuts pointing to the games don't work. The files can't be found. And when turning hidden files on they are not there. What's up?

This is just an update. He went into the folder just to see something. And he found to folders. One called half life the other called GTA3. ANd in those folders was just the main application. Now I'm really confused. I told him to scan for viruses hopefully one will show cause then we will know what's going on. Any ideas?

Comment

OS?
      TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

forgot that......xp pro.

Comment

Are the files in the recycle bin?

Comment

nope can't even be found in dos.

Comment

If it uses FAT32 try this:

DL and unzip this file (virus scan too if you don't trust me ;) ) and run rescue.exe, try to dland unzip it to another hard drive in the comp if you can

If NTFS i can't help you :(
              TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Actually, it's a hidden directory, because microsoft deems that it's a "protected operating system file" (you can chose to unhide it by looking through your folder options) it's part of window's backup... u can remove this feature by disabling system restore in your system properties tab. (or u can just lower hte max amount of HDD space it takes)

Comment

well I just now unchecked "hide operating system protected files" and nothing showed up. Is this what you ment?

Comment

Here's a utility you can try:

Comment

under /drive:/System Volume Information/

Comment

system volume information. Never gonna find it in there. If I disable the system restore it'll delete it all anyway....

Ok bigjackusa I downloaded this utility and I'll try it out later I guess. I'll keep yuh updated with teh results.

Comment

ok heres a small update I guess...the files could still not be found its like there gone just still taking up space. I'm just making a small guess but I'm figuring if he goes ahead and reinstalls the games they might overwrite there original hidden files? So if that were the case he'd be able to use his games again and all will be good. HOWEVER if he reinstalls the games and it takes up EXTRA space that would mean he has double copies of each game and only one copy is actually usable. In that case I don't know what to do. Other then the extreme side but I guess one of the last solutions is to format? :?:

Comment

well, that or you can probably wait it out (if it IS system restore, after a couple of weeks or so the smace will probably be free) one thing i've noticed about system restore thou, it usually compresses the information, so it might not be your problem at all

Comment

have you tried a scandisk in case its a filesystem fault?

Comment

Working...
                              X