No announcement yet.

Did I overclock my new graphic to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I overclock my new graphic to death?

I just bought me a Inno3D GF4 Ti4200 128MB version yesterday. I was of course curious as to what results i could get when overlocking. So I read some overclocking guides. I used PowerStrip to increase Core and Memory speeds. I wasn't able to raise Core speed at all. So I checked the bios for some AGP Voltage settings, since i figured thats was the problem since I couldn't raise my Core speed. Turned out my mainboard (Abit KT7A) doesnt have any setting for that. Its pretty old so it might be that. So I left the core speed where it was.

Anyway, i managed to raise my Memory speed from 450 to 500. And it worked stable through a few 3DMark2001SE tests i did. So i was happy with that. I played games all day yesterday and everthing was all good.

This morning when booting up my comp my new graphics card wouldnt work, not at all. I tried many times and switching between my old card and my new one. So now im using my old card.

My question is. Could i have damaged my new card by overclocking as I did? I mean if it was because i raised memory speed? If in fact the memory couldnt handle the heat, wouldn't I get a graphical lockup, and then not be able to use the card no more? Because everything worked fine all day yesterday. I shut my computer down as usual, no lockup no nothing.

If its broken because of me overclocking, would the company be able to see that if i try to return it for my 1 year factory warranty?

Thanks
    /Kodde

I've got a Gainward 4200 w/128 and I run it at 520mz. It sounds strange indeed that it worked till after you shut it down. I'm still thinking on it. What is your old card? Have you tried clearing the cmos, which should bring the mobo to its failsafe defaults?

Comment

I've tried clearing CMOS yes.

My old one is a Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS 32MB DDR.

My new graphic card works in my friends computer, and he has the same kind of mainboard!!!

I've even tried only booting up with the graphic cards and just the needed components. Still doesn't work.

Comment

try booting with just the old card and remove all drivers and evidence of the new card.
        then reinstall new card and see what happens.

if reomve s/w in that manner you may be able to boot with 2 v cards and do it that way.

I have the leadtek gf4 128 a250 myvivo edition with winfox, that allows you adjust the gpu and vram clock via software.

I still had similar problems, i had to leave all at normal speed.

Comment

When you say "my new graphics card wouldnt work, not at all", do you mean that you can't even see the post screens?

Comment

Nope... can't see nothing.

The weird thing is that my computer works with my old card just as before. And the new card works fine in my friends computer.

My new card worked fine for me as well, for a day. Then stopped Working next time i tried to boot up.

So my new card still works, and so does my comp. And they suddenly they stopped co-operating without me changing any settings at all (at least none that kick in before windows is launched).

Comment

This is a guess, but it might be the solution. I am thinking that Powerstrip re-programmed the PLL on your card. When you start the machine, the power draw is considerably larger than when the machine is already running. If you were already on the margin for what your psu was supplying, perhaps it could sustain the card with the re-programmed PLL while running, but could not at boot. See if your friend will let you put the card back in his machine, load Powerstrip, and change the PLL back to its default setting. Then try it in your machine. If this works, then it may be time for a better psu.

Comment

I already tried to unplug everything but the utter most needed things in my computer + having the vcard, and tried to boot up. That didn't work (shouldn't that be enough power for it to boot?).

I've also tried putting the vcard in my friend camp, running vstrip, setting core and memory to default values (i didnt know if this was saved on the vcard or if its a setting only in windows).

Also the only thing i changed in vstrip was the core and memory settings, so i dont think i touched anything called "PLL".

I also used a program called GeForceTweak utility and used some presets for "Fast Settings", but my friend told me thats only registry keys. Nothing on the vcard.

If in fact I managed to change something called "PLL", how would i change it back? Can't find anything like that in vstrip.

Another weird thing is that the card works in my friends comp, and he has the same MainBoard... so it has to be some setting i musta changed or something, that kicks in at bootup.

Comment

Woohoo!
                  It works.

I thought real long and hard what I did that might have caused this problem, and i remembered that i had changed some settings for AGP in a tweak program called NVMax. So i took a look at those, and reset em to defaults. I think it was some setting called "Via side band adressing ". Anyway. I tried booting up with my new vcard and it works so far...

I'm never ever ever changing any setting i don't fully understand.
                  *phew*.

Being able to change AGP settings from windows that takes place at boot-up, and that can't be changed from BIOS... thats a real hazard i tell ya.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me!

Comment

Glad to hear you got it working. The PLL is the clock signal generator. It is programable, so it can hold changes independent of the software. One thing to remember when experimenting with changes to your system, oc'ing or any other tweaking, is to try one thing at a time and give it a couple of days trial before making another change. This then makes it much easier to figure out what went wrong. I've always told people who have been interested in oc'ing and tweaking that it is not a one time shot, but more of a hobby that takes an investment of time and patience. Next time, write down any changes you make so you remember what they were if you need to undo them. Good luck with your future tweaking.

Comment

Working...
                    X