System Tray Icons don't load on boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Tray Icons don't load on boot

I've got a weird problem I haven't been able to figure out. For some reason all of my boot up apps load, but don't appear on the system tray. Its not like they disappear after a certain point, they _never_ show during the boot. It is the freakiest thing any help fixing the problem would be really appreciated!

-Danny.

Right click the taskbar, choose "properties", and see if the box is checked for "hide inactive icons".

Comment

Sadly thats not the case, I wish it was that easy though!

Comment

What items should appear?

Comment

Well, everything and anything that loads at boot. Examples would be...
          DAEMON Tools
          GetRight
          Messenger
          CloneCD Tray
          Kazaa
          Xerox ControlCenter
          Apache Monitor
          Trillian
          ePrompter
          All these programs and many others load, but for some reason it never shows their respective tray icons. They are all loaded in the memory and functioning. They only icons that are loaded are the network connection icons my wireless connection, the unconnected lans, etc.

Comment

What happens if you are using kazaa? Does it show up in the tray while your using it?

Comment

Yes, assuming I close it after it loads when the computer boots and restart it [the program].

Comment

so the icon appears after you shut down the process and start it up again? hmm.... does explorer load up when windows starts up? cause usually when explorer crashes it takes everything with it. This is of course including the icons in the system tray. Except for I think a few of them like AIM usually stays there.

Comment

Yes, explorer seems to load normally. Thats the odd thing, if it was crashing and taking the system tray icons with it like it usually does, I'd see Explorer restarting itself. But it doesn't, they simply never appear at all, and explorer doesn't seem to crash during boot. Its absolutely weird!

Comment

ya but you say your able to get the icons back by restarting the programs.......

Was this a fresh install or an upgrade from say 98/ME?

Comment

Fresh install of XP Pro.

Comment

that's strange. I really relaly don't knowTry this know it may help even though its not exactly related.

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Comment

I have exactly the same problem, and after much looking haven't found a solution (so far your the only one who has the exact same problem). The only thing that fixes it, is shutting down and reloading explorer while in windows. Not a good method really.

I'd love to hear of anyone with a solution to this... some of those icons are mighty handy dammit

Comment

Lars

Do you have any of the same apps as perunaion has in his list that loads at startup? One of these items may be fouling up explorer on boot somehow. A common item might be the culprit.

Comment

Have either of you'se recently downloaded and either installed or updated to the latest Kazaa? :?:
                              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                              X