cpus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cpus

I'm not intending to buy one right now but just out of curiosity, which cpu is the best to buy. Regarding value of course. Is amd the way to go or is Intel. I was just a gamespot and i was checking out the hardware page, it was comparing the latest P4 northwood 2.2 ghz with the amd anthalon xp 2000+ and well basically the p4 was superior on a i850 motherboard... so the expense was high... i don't really intend to be spending top of the line dollar... so which company should i go with when i do chose to invest my money. I'll probably be asking this question agian when i am finally ready but i would like to know now so that i could start planning. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

i personally would go for the AMD athlon xp
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

if you are looking for value for money, then the Athlon family is definitely the way to go..

Comment

For the best "Bang for Bucks" I've got to agree with the other 2 as well. :smokin:
        <center> </center>

Comment

Yup, I agree, go with the Athlon XP for the best value for money :toung:
          What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
            Yup, I agree, go with the Athlon XP for the best value for money :toung:

WOW! :eek:
            Is that Albinus recommending an AMD product? I am impressed to say the least. ;)
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Also, remeber the Xp2000+ is 1666Mhz and the P4 is 2200. I imagine the P4 didnt win by much, so when AMD gets some cpu's that are the same clock speed, they will rip intel :D

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion

WOW! :eek:
                Is that Albinus recommending an AMD product? I am impressed to say the least. ;)

Yes Darth, as a matter of fact I have built more AMD systems for friends than Intel ones - by a factor of about 3:1 :)

There is no doubting that the Athlon XP is the best value for money, so I recommed that
                What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Put me down for an Athlon XP vote, too.
                  If Intel did some sort of overclocker friendly thng with their processors and allowed for multiplier adjustments and stepping/core quality distinction, maybe the 2.2a would be the expensive way to have lots of o/cing fun because of it's .13 die. But they don't and instead they choose to price their processors at 2x or more the price of AMD equally performance competitive chips. I'm not an AMD freak, even though i do support them in 99% of all the advice i give. I just don't like what Intel is doing right now. I say right now, because they may have another Celery 300A planned that could put a few minority o/cers back into the Intel corner. Maybe even me.

BTW, my mom has my old celery and even thou it's no longer o/ced. I still like to see how it's doing when i go over there.

Comment

you should buy an itanium 800. This is a very cheap and powerful processor!

Comment

Originally posted by minhacontano
                      you should buy an itanium 800. This is a very cheap and powerful processor!
                      ....get XP 1500 or 1600. there's alot more bag for the buck!

WOW Albinus, now that's a recommendation! But like I always say to P4 fans, "we were all intel fans, in the begining....."

I6, as alway, where's your system spec's?

also, what are you looking to replace? just the cpu, whats your board?........are U looking to replace board and cpu? or upgrade what U have?

also, what do U want rig to do? be a gamer, 3mp priate rig, etc. Do U want to flash the locals with a hot rig, or are U on a budget?

more info needed?

with what you've asked or indicated, I'd advise:

:rolleyes2 "on a budget: only the cpu..........1.2 Tbird or a 1 g duron."

:glasses2: "on a budget, but can go a board too: kt266a mobo and an XP1500 and plan to trade up when the XP top ends bargin out a year or so down the road."

:rolleyes2 : "on a budget but I want :flames: down the road. Invest in a new ddr 333 mobo w/ ata133 and drop a duron or cheap tbird on it for the next 6 months to a year."

:rolleyes2 : "really I'm a gamer on a budget, for now.......get a Gf 4 mx.

;) If U want more advise, be more specific.....

Comment

for the latest CPU's i.e XP2000 or Northwood2.2 - intel is way more expensive.

But when I spec out a system for the mid-range stuff - XP1700 or 1800 vs. P4 1.7 or 1.8 - I find the difference in cost to be less than $100cdn total on the system.

I'm not saying to buy a P4.....but the $$$ savings isn't a great as it once was. :rolleyes:

Comment

Thanks guys... i think i'm going to get an amd anthalon xp 1800+

an assus motherboard k266a.. i can't remember the exact name... but it's a good one, and a gf4 ti4200... :D ... um.. i'm not sure if i should get an audigy x-gamer, that will depend on how much money i have... oh and any recommendations on a case that i should get.. i don't want to spend to much.. but i would like to have 8 bays... the one i found sounds good and is $80 canadian... also i'm going to get a 60gig hard drive... does it really matter which one i get (i going to get a 7200rpm)

Comment

Case.............ya........ check out

for cool case #147, they report, but they have been shipping 10 bays. this is a great case, or

#4252, several options, including a couple with out PS's if you would like to reuse our current power supply.........

It would be a good idea to build your new system with a 350w PS.....atleast 300w. the "cool case" comes with one included.....

good luck,,,,,,,,

:thumb:

Comment

thanks... those look good.. i have a couple of questions.. first.. is this an american site... if so how long do you think it would take to ship it to toronto, canada, and the approximate price of all... if it will be more than $80 canadian... do you think it is still worth it... thanks... oh and i'm referring to the first one you mentioned thanks... the power supply i found for $80 can... is a 300w http://www.yesplay.com/cases.htm it's the one in the middle.

so my basic question is out of all of these which one do you recommend the most... thanks.. alot.. if you know of any canadian websites that sell similar cases that would be great thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X