Slackware install question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slackware install question.

I am about to install Skacware and I'm deciding what software sets to install. I need help deciding on a couple. Maybe someone could tell me what they are or if i need them. Here is the list.

A - The base system. Contains enough software to get up and running and have a text editor and basic communications programs. I need that one right? lol

AP - Various applications that do not require the X Window System. I want that one.

D - Program development tools. Compilers, debuggers, interpreters, and man pages. It's all here. Do I need this one? Is it for actual programming or compiling a kernel? I don't know how to program. So If it's needed for anything other than kernel compilation. I don't want it.

DES - Includes the GNU libc crypt() function. I don't know what this is, do I need it? Is this the crypt() function "add-on" if you will, for the c libraries?

E - GNU Emacs. Yes, Emacs is so big it requires its own series. I don't know what this is, some type of scripting? I don't think I need it. Tell me otherwise though.

F - FAQs, HOWTOs, and other miscellaneous documentation. I want these.

GTK - The GNOME desktop environment, GTK widget library, and the GIMP. I don't want it to install X or a GUI so I don't want this one.

K - The source code for the Linux kernel. I want this one just in case I need to compile a kernel.

KDE - The K Desktop Environment. An X environment which shares a lot of look-and-feel features with the MacOS and Windows. The Qt widget library is also in this series, as KDE requires it to function. I don't want it to install X or a GUI so I don't want this one.

N - Networking programs. Daemons, mail programs, telnet, news readers, and so on. I want this one for PPP and networking support.

T - teTeX document formatting system. I don't know, do I need this?

TCL - The Tool Command Language, Tk, TclX, and TkDesk. Don't want.

U - Contains packages for programs designed specifically for and that will only run on UltraSPARC systems. Don't need.

X - The base X Window System. Again I don't want it to install X or a GUI so I don't want this one.

XAP - X applications that are not part of a major desktop environment. For example Ghostscript and Netscape. Again I don't want it to install X or a GUI so I don't want this one.

XD - X11 program development. Libraries, server link kit, and PEX support. I'm not gonna create programs for X server. Don't need right?

XV - XView libraries, the OpenLook Virtual and Non-Virtual window managers, and various other XView applications. I'm not gonna create programs for X server. Don't need right?

Y - Games (the BSD games collection, Sasteroids, Koules, and Lizards). Don't want.

I think if someone could help me out on this one, I'll be alright.

Later

Now where is Bern when ya need him? :?:

Comment

For real, I was hoping he would answer. Anyway. It's gonna be a while before I install Slack. I'm modding my old case. And using numerous pieces of old but still good hardware.

Comment

well when i attempted to install it, i installed all of it except the program development stuff
        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Originally posted by FA-MAS
          [B]A - The base system. Contains enough software to get up and running and have a text editor and basic communications programs. I need that one right? lol
          Right :)
          [B]
          AP - Various applications that do not require the X Window System. I want that one.
          Yes :)
          [B]
          D - Program development tools. Compilers, debuggers, interpreters, and man pages. It's all here. Do I need this one? Is it for actual programming or compiling a kernel? I don't know how to program. So If it's needed for anything other than kernel compilation. I don't want it.
          You'll need these to compile from source, not just kernels but any program from source.
          [B]
          DES - Includes the GNU libc crypt() function. I don't know what this is, do I need it? Is this the crypt() function "add-on" if you will, for the c libraries?
          I don't have a DES group on my slack 8 cd....:confused:
          [B]
          E - GNU Emacs. Yes, Emacs is so big it requires its own series. I don't know what this is, some type of scripting? I don't think I need it. Tell me otherwise though.
          Emacs is an editing enviroment, recomended.
          [B]
          F - FAQs, HOWTOs, and other miscellaneous documentation. I want these.
          You want these :)
          [B]
          GTK - The GNOME desktop environment, GTK widget library, and the GIMP. I don't want it to install X or a GUI so I don't want this one.
          No X no gnome
          [B]
          K - The source code for the Linux kernel. I want this one just in case I need to compile a kernel.
          You want the ont that matches the kernel you decided to install.
          [B]
          KDE - The K Desktop Environment. An X environment which shares a lot of look-and-feel features with the MacOS and Windows. The Qt widget library is also in this series, as KDE requires it to function. I don't want it to install X or a GUI so I don't want this one.
          No X no kde
          [B]
          N - Networking programs. Daemons, mail programs, telnet, news readers, and so on. I want this one for PPP and networking support.
          Yep, this one will also have apache, sendmail and proftp.
          [B]
          T - teTeX document formatting system. I don't know, do I need this?
          A good one to have in case you get something you need to read in this format.
          [B]
          TCL - The Tool Command Language, Tk, TclX, and TkDesk. Don't want.
          Its a good idea to install all the languages, including perl,python,ruby..etc..
          [B]
          U - Contains packages for programs designed specifically for and that will only run on UltraSPARC systems. Don't need.
          Don't need.
          [B]
          X - The base X Window System. Again I don't want it to install X or a GUI so I don't want this one.
          Nope.
          [B]
          XAP - X applications that are not part of a major desktop environment. For example Ghostscript and Netscape. Again I don't want it to install X or a GUI so I don't want this one.
          Nope.
          [B]
          XD - X11 program development. Libraries, server link kit, and PEX support. I'm not gonna create programs for X server. Don't need right?
          Nope.
          [B]
          XV - XView libraries, the OpenLook Virtual and Non-Virtual window managers, and various other XView applications. I'm not gonna create programs for X server. Don't need right?
          Nope.
          [B]
          Y - Games (the BSD games collection, Sasteroids, Koules, and Lizards). Don't want.
          Nope.
          [B]
          I think if someone could help me out on this one, I'll be alright.

Later
          When you do the install you can pick and choose from each package group, the installer will mark (*) all the essential packages. Don't use newbie mode.
          p-two.net

Comment

Diggit, thanks for the answers. I'll be sure to update how it goes after install. And that's not going to happen untill I finish modding the case that it goes in. Kind of going to do a kick ass modded linux box from the ground up. With my old parts.

Yay, a 440bx chipset.

Comment

Originally posted by FA-MAS
              Yay, a 440bx chipset.

The i440BX is great..... don't knock it :)

Served me reliably under Linux for quite a while, don't be hard on it :cool:
              What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

I'm not trying to be hard on the 440bx. It is just the particular board I have is weak, and have since moved onto faster processors.

Comment

i440bx... someone find a box that is more stable than my i440bx EPO-BX7+100 here.... or something.... luvin it... but wanting for a brand spankin new ep-8kha+
                  SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
                  Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

Working...
                  X