Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power down Problems after BIOS Update (X79 Extreme6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power down Problems after BIOS Update (X79 Extreme6)

Hi there,

after update the Bios from 2.2 to 2.41 without any Errors we running in the Situation that the PC don't really power off. The Screen is black but all the Fans runs. Only pressed the Powerswitch for more than 10 sec. stops really the PC. After this we make an update to 2.45 but the Problem still exists.

We call the Support which send us a new Bios by mail. After changing the Bios the System runs fine!

Two weeks later the new Version (non Beta) 2.50 are provided. After flashing (without Problems and Errors) the same Situation comes up! Why its not possible to flash the Bios without such Problems.

We check the System with a boot of knoppix (boot from DVD) with the same result. The PC don't power off!

How can be solved that Situation without an replacement of Bios?

Any Hints are welcome!!

best regards,
    Holger

Re: Power down Problems after BIOS Update (X79 Extreme6)

Are you clearing Cmos after flashing then re setting all the bios settings to default? Give your full system specs if you want help, we know what mother board you have but................
    MSI X-99SLI
    Intel 5930K WATER
    EVGA Nilla 1080
    POWER!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

I did this> :) Default RMA discussion banned

Comment

Originally posted by jaggerwild View Post
      Are you clearing Cmos after flashing then re setting all the bios settings to default? Give your full system specs if you want help, we know what mother board you have but................
      Yes. Before and after the flashing.

My system specs are:
      - Asrock X79 Extreme6
      - SLI with nvidia GTX 680 (3x)
      - Kingston KHX2133 / 64GB RAM
      - i7 [email protected] Gh/Primestable
      - SSD Disks from Corsair
      - WC H80i
      - Dell XPS Tower with 1KW Powersupply

Any Hints are welcome.

best regards,
      Holger

Comment

Dear all,

no one has a tip to solve that issue?

Many Thanks & best regards,
        Holger

Comment

Originally posted by hok4711 View Post
          Hi there,

after update the Bios from 2.2 to 2.41 without any Errors we running in the Situation that the PC don't really power off. The Screen is black but all the Fans runs. Only pressed the Powerswitch for more than 10 sec. stops really the PC. After this we make an update to 2.45 but the Problem still exists.

We call the Support which send us a new Bios by mail. After changing the Bios the System runs fine!

Two weeks later the new Version (non Beta) 2.50 are provided. After flashing (without Problems and Errors) the same Situation comes up! Why its not possible to flash the Bios without such Problems.

We check the System with a boot of knoppix (boot from DVD) with the same result. The PC don't power off!

How can be solved that Situation without an replacement of Bios?

Any Hints are welcome!!

best regards,
          Holger
          Why did you update your board's BIOS to the version that supports Ivy Bridge E CPUs, but you are using a Sandy Bridge E CPU?

Click image for larger version

Name:	X79 Sandy to Ivy.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	753966

When you updated your BIOS using Instant Flash, did you remove the USB flash drive before the PC restarted, or did you leave it in until Windows booted? Part of the SB-E to IVB-E BIOS update process is an update to the Intel Management Engine firmware, which happens during the restart and before Windows reboots after the BIOS is updated.

You also must update the Intel Management Engine software, and run a new INF installation program. BUT, that assumes you are using an IVB-E CPU, not a SB-E.

I know the instructions and documentation is bad, and nothing on the BIOS download page tells you that you should only apply BIOS 2.40 or following version IF you use an IVB- E CPU.

You can read this thread for more information: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...er-boards.html

The sad part is, you were shipped a new CMOS/BIOS chip with a BIOS that supports SB-E processors, and then you changed to the BIOS that supports IVB-E again.

A big part of the problem here is that no one is willing to admit that the BIOS change from SB-E support to IVB-E support, does not support SB-E processors. That may seem obvious to some people, but we have seen many examples of users of these boards updating the BIOS to IVB support while still using SB processors. Nothing states that you cannot do this and have no issues, so users do it.

The communication problem between ASRock (and other companies) and their customers is significant, and costs both ASRock and their customers money, time, and stress related to the trouble they must deal with. The sad part is it would be simple to avoid most of this issue with a little work.

Comment

Hello Parsec,

many thanks for the very good description of the Situation.

When you updated your BIOS using Instant Flash, did you remove the USB flash drive before the PC restarted, or did you leave it in until Windows booted? Part of the SB-E to IVB-E BIOS update process is an update to the Intel Management Engine firmware, which happens during the restart and before Windows reboots after the BIOS is updated.
            Yes, I know this and leave the USB Stick after update in the Computer before Windows reboots and after the BIOS is updated.

More interesting is that the spare BIOS, which ASROCK send my by mail, in the Version 2.45 runs absolut with no Problems! So for my Point of view it makes more sense that the update process with an Sandy Bridge E CPU caused the Problems. Not the BIOS Software itself.

@ANY ASROCK SUPPORT MEMBER: Could you please test the functionality of Biosupdate with Sandy Bridge E CPU to Version 2.50 and tell us this runs without any Problems?

best regards,
            Holger

Comment

Hello Parsec,

many thanks for the very good description of the Situation.

Yes, I know this and leave the USB Stick after update in the Computer before Windows reboots and after the BIOS is updated.

More interesting is that the spare BIOS, which ASROCK send my by mail, in the Version 2.45 runs absolut with no Problems! So for my Point of view it makes more sense that the update process with an Sandy Bridge E CPU caused the Problems. Not the BIOS Software itself.

@ANY ASROCK SUPPORT MEMBER: Could you please test the functionality of Biosupdate with Sandy Bridge E CPU to Version 2.50 and tell us this runs without any Problems?

best regards,
              Holger
              Very interesting, about the version 2.45 Beta BIOS on the CMOS chip you received from ASRock. That is, that it worked fine for you.

Questions, did you change to the different version of the IME software, and run the different INF installation program? Just curious. Did you do that after installing the new CMOS/BIOS chip with the 2.45 BIOS? I don't understand why that would be necessary if you were using a SB-E processor.

It sounds like you would of checked the following, but did you check for a BIOS setting that puts the PC in the S1 Sleep state? That is what your description of the PC not shutting down completely sounds like. Of course, I really don't know if your PC is in the S1 state when your problem happens.

I agree that is seems like the BIOS update process, when you changed from 2.45 to 2.50, is related to your issue.

The SB to IVB update process just seems to be more mysterious the more I hear about it...

Comment

Hello Parsec,

Very interesting, about the version 2.45 Beta BIOS on the CMOS chip you received from ASRock. That is, that it worked fine for you.
                Absolutely! After replacing of the old bios and setup of all previously parameters the system runs without Errors.

Questions, did you change to the different version of the IME software, and run the different INF installation program? Just curious. Did you do that after installing the new CMOS/BIOS chip with the 2.45 BIOS? I don't understand why that would be necessary if you were using a SB-E processor.
                No, I have had the software installed already before installing the BIOS (which has sent me Asrock).

It sounds like you would of checked the following, but did you check for a BIOS setting that puts the PC in the S1 Sleep state? That is what your description of the PC not shutting down completely sounds like.
                Of course, I really don't know if your PC is in the S1 state when your problem happens.
                How to check in which State the Systems runs after shutdown (Black Screen, Fans still running ...)?

I agree that is seems like the BIOS update process, when you changed from 2.45 to 2.50, is related to your issue.
                unfortunately yes :-(. I Reported that to Asrock. They say I should replace the Motherboard at my local dealer. It would be easier to change the BIOS physically with version 2.50 ...

... my last hope is that the next release will solve the Problem ...

best regards,
                Holger

Comment

Hello Parsec, ...

unfortunately yes :-(. I Reported that to Asrock. They say I should replace the Motherboard at my local dealer. It would be easier to change the BIOS physically with version 2.50 ...

... my last hope is that the next release will solve the Problem ...

best regards,
                  Holger
                  My advice is, do not expect another BIOS version of the IVB-E type to fix your issue.

The secret that Intel and ALL mother board manufactures apparently don't want to tell us, is if you use a SB or SB-E processor, once the IVB and IVB-E BIOS updates appear, that means no more BIOS updates for the board if you use a SB or SB-E processor. I might be wrong about this, but it seems like it is true.

We need to understand that IF this is true, it is not the fault of the mother board manufactures. It is only Intel's issue. Intel said the 6 series and X79 chipset boards (really Sandy Bridge chipsets) can use Ivy Bridge processors. That is fine, but if the Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS (and whatever else is changed, like the IME firmware) does not allow SB processor owners to use that BIOS, we need to know that!!

Comment

Working...
                  X