X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclocking 1.6 with SiS chipset

:no:
    the overclocking guide said SiS is not really a player in overclocking
    why is that and is it possible to overclock it?

and how?

never tried to overclock before so id like to know where to start...

Well it is possible (sorta) but with the limited options for adjustments given doesn't usually lead to good results. I ain't goin' to stop ya from tryin' though. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

are the chances greater that id damage my hardware?

do you think i should try??

Comment

More likely the worse you should get is a black screen and the need to reset the CMOS. I do believe that the later BIOS's have a better selection of frequencies to choose from but no voltage adjustments and memory timings are very limited. One thing they do get is if ya CPU can get to 150MHz the next AGP/PCI divider kicks in (why they picked this speed I don't know). ;)

Comment

CMOS??

ive had trouble with this already and i hadnt even touched any of the BIOS
          i turned off the comp one night and the next day it had to prompt for start up cause it said the cmos/bios were off or something or inaccurate
          what could have triggered this?

what is the cmos anyways??

Comment

What brand and model of PSU do you have? :?:

This question may sound strange but what you just said was the onset of a better PSU being needed with mine and things gradually got worse, restarts, memory errors and finally corrupted system files (I've never had probs with Durons in them but Athlons just seem to demand too much from them). :(

But don't loose hope once the bugs are ironed out they arn't a bad board, just not as fast or as a good as a VIA KT266A or better IMHO. Also over here would have to be the largest resource of knowledge for that board, it's so big that there are 2 archives for that one forum now. :eek:

Good luck with it. :thumb:

Comment

where would i find the psu info?

and i raised the cpu speed from 100/100
              to 133/133
              i didnt really see a noticable difference
              how do i run a SIS sandra benchmark correctly to get an accurate readout?

Comment

Where your power cable plugs into the case is the PSU, open the case and labels should be on it's casing (sometimes right on top where the top of the case can block the veiw of it). ;)

Comment

its a duro
                  400w max
                  so how do i run the SiS benchmark properly so that it doesnt give me a false reading because theres other applications running?

Comment

CMOS = complimentary metal oxide semiconductor

That just explains everything right? It's really just an EEPROM (erasable, electronic, programable, read-only memory). That's clearer right? It contains the setup instructions for the BIOS (basic input/output system). So now that I've made it as clear as mud, here's all you need to know about it. The bios contains all the information about your hardware and its requirements and operating parameters. It needs info on things like your drives, memory, video, printer, etc.. These are the settings that you can tweak and overclock. You can also make your computer unbootable with the wrong settings. Usually, if you haven't made any changes in the bios, and you get a checksum error (which is what I gather happened to you) the small, round, calculator-type battery is going dead. They are supposed to last for up to 5 years, but I've seen them be almost dead on a new board (probably sat on a shelf for 5 years!). This battery keeps all the bios settings intact when there is no power to the machine.

Comment

oh ok cool
                      thanks
                      it is a lot more clearer now

back to the benchmark test
                      i think i read somewhere that to get an accurate check of your hardware you have to disable all processes or something so that no resources are being used
                      how do you do this??

Comment

Go into the windows task manager and under processes you can shut down unnecessary operations (in XP anyway if that's what ya usin'). ;)

Comment

is there anything important i shouldnt shutdown??

Comment

Yes there are some but most of the ones that you can safely close are listed in the XP tweak guides found here. Also change XP's performance properties to "for best performance" setting as this will close down a few and improve ya scores. I'm only an XP n00b but I do know that no XP setup is the same as another and the way in which you what programs and services maybe totally different to mine. So read the guides and the effects that each has then just list the ones that sound good to you and close one at a time till all are done. ;)

Comment

ok thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X