Guru needed: Problems with an ECS motherboard running a XP 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guru needed: Problems with an ECS motherboard running a XP 2

I have a K7S5A motherboard with 512mb 133Mhz SDRAM in an 300W ATX box. I purchased a new retail Athlon XP 2000+ CPU and installed in and the PC will not come on. I have swapped the XP 2000+ CPU for an 800Mhz Duron processor and the PC starts up fine. I originally thought that the CPU was bad so I returned the CPU for another one and the same thing happened. The PC would not turn on at all. Are there known capatilibility issues with the K7S5A motherboard and the XP 2000+ processor with 133 SDRAM?

Are there any guru's out there that can answer this one?

Chad
    [email protected]

Make sure that you have an updated BIOS. Version 01/11/21 was the first to support the Athlon XP 2000+ processor, so if you have a revision older than that, then a BIOS Flash is definitely in order. ;)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I went the website a few minutes ago and noticed there was a BIOS update for this very item. The catch for me is that I have to have the machine boot up in order to update the bios and the machine will not boot with the XP 2000 processor:confused: .

I am going to have to either find someone with an AMD CPU I can use to update the BIOS or send the CPU back and get an 1900 instead. I am irritated with the place I bought it from becuase this was a mobo-cpu combo package they sell, and it does not even work with the version of mobo they ship.:mad:

Thanks for the reply,
      Chad

Comment

If it was sold as a combo, then you should take it right back and make them get it right. Any store worth a grain of salt will do this, and if they have a problem, then I'd do everything posible to make sure that as many people as possible knew not to deal with them. And make sure they KNOW what you're fixing to do.

But if they are amiable about getting the situation fixed, then call it a mistake and carry on. Not all transactions go smoothly, but if they're willing to do the right thing, then all is well and you still end up getting what you needed in the end. :)
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Or if ya in a hurry do the flash with the Duron in it. ;)

Comment

Working...
          X