Amd 2400+, Ga-7xvrp Kt333, Xms3000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amd 2400+, Ga-7xvrp Kt333, Xms3000

I am new to this forum, at least in writing, but I am having a problem with the new board and cpu I put together yesterday. This Gigabyte board has more options than my Shuttle but is more confusing to me. I cannot raise the FSB much above 133 without Windows erroring out after five minutes.

Some options in CMOS that I do have setup are 1t, CAS# 2, everything at default voltage. I use a CoolMaster HHC-001 hs/f and it keeps it fairly cool. The northbridge is a straight heatsink, which I don't like and may change that.

Results at 140: Windows will load but a KMOD UNHANDLED EXCEPTION will happen in about 5 minutes.

Results at 144: Windows will error right after POST.

Did Memtest86 and all it did when rebooting was give codes:
    AX:0212
    BX:XXXX
    @X:XXXX
    DX:XXXX

X=dont remember

My Shuttle did better than this and I'm kinda disappointed in this board.

Any ideas on what I can do to tweak this board better without blowing it. I may RMA it for an EPox if this doesn't become promising.

Thanks in advance.:shoot3:

Bump up the memory voltage to 2.6volts if ya already havn't. ;)

Comment

done that... and raised it to the max of 2.8 and 1.8(?) on the agp. wouldn't think it would need to be so high... any other ideas???

Comment

WOW! :eek:

Ya shouldn't need then that high.

Have you increased the CPU voltage at all? :?:

Also what sort of temps are you getting with that? :?:

Comment

I have a feeling that the 2400+, and 2600+ are pretty much as far as they are going to go. My 2200+ maxes out at around 146FSB. or 1957mhz. Above that my system restarts and windows gets error messages much like the ones you are getting. As the porcs go on they are less oc'able. Take my 2200+ for example, it maxes out at 146FSB, while a 1600+ can OC to 166FSB. I think this applies to your CPU. The higher they go the less they can OC. Until the new cores come out I doubt that you will be able to OC many AMD procs to what they could before (1600+ etc).

Comment

i was just playing with the voltage, didnt stay too long but it didn't help, i can tell you that much. fsb of 141 seems to be stable at this point. running seti over night to see how stable.

my temps might be 39-41 full load... not too bad considering my 1700+ at 147 fsb on a shuttle runs at 49-51 C.

also what are some good testing software, and where to get them at that.

i also tried unlocking it with no success other than default = 15. nothing below it worked and this board sucks im beginning to think. does anyone know much about the bios in here and how to tweak it??

ive heard of the 2400+ running at or above 2.4 gHz. wtf cant i do that???

lil frustrating, been waiting for this cpu for almost two months and i get it and am kinda disappointed. still amd for life tho.

anything else?? :D thanks tho.

Comment

Ok then check this out, have a look at your BIOS version at the moment then go the Gigabyte's and see if it's the one that supports the XP2400+ as it just maybe a BIOS problem (I know that the BIOS that I have atm will only handle up to XP2200+ and needs to be flashed to go further). ;)
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

it reads it as a 2400+/2600+ so i assume it will take the newer processor. now im running m11, a modified bios from someone on here.

i also successfully unlocked the cpu but cant bump up the fsb beyond 155 now.

does anyone know the bios settings that would be optimal for this board??

Comment

A moddified BIOS hey. :?:

Comment

yes, modified, and i got it from amdmb.com actually, not here... :zzz: i dont know whats the point of a modified bios but its runs smooth as can be now.

12x170 = 2040, still a 2400 but nice fsb

gonna see later about bumping it up some more...

:cheers:

Comment

My 2400+ hits the wall@2340Mhz, but it takes every bit of 2.1VCore to keep it stable. it idles @35-36C, so heat is not an issue with these chips like it was with the first 2200+s ;)

Comment

you must be watercooled to keep such low temps and high speeds. i am right now order a new fsb cooling chipset. my south bridge is actually what gets really hot... which im assuming make my sb audigy mp3+ not work at all. is that correct? pretty sure, running at 172x12.5, the 1/5 divider is there... but it stopped working, and i know its still good.... anyone, ideas?

Comment

Try this gigabyte forum for a vx bios, i know they have a f11 out

http://forums.viaarena.com/categorie...=23&zb=6144419
                          :smokin:

Comment

i think my hard drive may be the problem. when loading xp on, it says cannot create a partition because the disk may be damaged. its a wd se 80 drive. anyways im rma'in it to newegg for a replacement and hope that fixes the issue.

the problem seems to be that the system is not stable(hdd) cant hold an operating system for very long under any circumstances, under/overclocked. does that sound about right.

i got a new active hsf for the nb and that keeps it ice cold, as far as i can tell.

but the really odd thing is that two hdd's went down at the same time, both in separate machines. one deskstar 60 gb and then the wd. little odd, eh?

could it be a conspiracy?? or something else??

Comment

Working...
                            X