X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU...Is it strong enough?

Hi, Great forums! Can I have some advice please on the following:

If I have a Chaintech 7AJ M/B, Athlon 1Ghz CPU, 40Gb HDD, 64Mb GeForce2
    Graphics card & 386RAM, what's the minimum PSU wattage should I be using?

Thanks a lot,

Smartcars

It's not so much the total wattage that is required in a PSU really but what the 3.3v and 5v rails can handle in total that is the real factor. AMD lists 165watts for the total of these two (or did), I like at least 180watts (220w for heavy use). The rest depends on how many other drives and fans, etc, that are goin' to be used. A good quality 300w PSU will do for a light to medium setup, 350w for medium+ but for hard overclockin' and large fan and/or drive combo's then 400w should be your minimum.

Shop around as there are some very good quality PSU's out there that won't cost an arm or a leg for and good luck with your choice. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks for that. The reason I'm asking is, this is the spec. of my PC and I'm having one HELL of a problem since the last maintenance (new Graphics card) was installed by the Engineer as it's still under warrenty. If I have say, an audio CD playing, using graphics s/w and am online, then it just freezer. Even when NOT online it just freezes. Only way out is to hold in the I/O button which can't be doing my HDD much good. I have a 250w PSU by the way...
      :cry:

Comment

When you got your new vid card, did you get more ram too? 386(384) doesn't sound like an oem install. Bad or incompatable ram can can cause lockups too. Bad video card drivers (or not removing the old ones before adding new ones) can do the same. Is your psu a name brand?

Comment

Thanks for all your input. The problem is this. The PC I have is now 20 months old (purchased as a system, I didn't build it). This is the current state: It's been inspected by 8 engineers, been back to the labs for repair twice. On it's 3rd zip drive, 2nd CD drive & 2nd sub woofer speaker. It's been rebuilt twice, the 2nd time with upgraded GeForce2 32 to GeForce2 64 and the HDD from 30Gb to 40Gb. RAMs been upped from 128 to 384 (by me). The PSU has never been changed-it's 250w. It's freezing up most of the time- just locks. 6 times already today. Damned annoying and I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE!!! What do ya think?

Comment

If that much hardware went to hell in that machine, I would suspect that a) the psu may be faulty, b) line power is poor (spikes, sags, sawed-off sine wave, etc.), c) both. I would try a new psu (300w name brand i.e. Antec, Enermax) and a UPS with line conditioning.

Comment

Yes that would be the least you could do atm after loosin' all that hardware. :eek:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
              X