Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PC-Q35: a great case. If it had the PSU in the bottom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The PC-Q35: a great case. If it had the PSU in the bottom.

The PC-Q35 would be great case. If it had the PSU mounted in the bottom.

So today I was browsing the Lian Li website, looking for information about when the PC-Q33 would be released in Europe. Then I discovered the PC-Q35. Unfortunately, like with almost all Lian Li Mini-ITX cases, I found something with it that disqualified it for me. Only this time, the case is so close to perfections, that it made me do a quick photoshop and register with this forum to share my ideas and hopefully get some feedback from Lian Li.

But first let me tell what I really like about the PC-Q35. It's the hinged front door. Even if somebody had to install an ODD, the door would beautifully keep it out of sight. I also like the angled edges of the door. With the door, Lian Li can at the same time keep both factions happy: Those who like to have the option of installing an ODD, and those who don't have the use for it or even despise the looks of an ODD. I count myself to the latter as well ;-)

Also, the PC-Q35 lets users install a long GPU.

Now, please let me explain what I would do different with the PC-Q35. First I would place the PSU at the bottom. There are two benefits from this. First, it enables the user to install a much taller, and therefore much more efficient, CPU cooler. Second, the PSU would not be heated from the CPU and GPU.

I understand that with the PSU in the bottom, long GPU would collide with the HDD cage. But there is a simple fix for this: Manufacture the HDD in a way that it can be removed, and/or split. This way one could have an HDD or two in the lower part. And more in the upper part. Or have just the upper part, and create HDD mounting positions in the case floor. Although I certainly would prefer a split HDD cage to that.

I would like to say something about the top cover fan hole too. In my opinion, it looks really bad. It is the reason why I dislike all other cases (e.g. the PC-V354) that have this. The reason it looks so bad, to me at least, is the asymmetry. The makers of the NCASE M1 say it in very good words I think: "Rather than detract from it, the air vents on the top and sides incorporate the needed cooling into the case in a symmetric, cohesive whole." I would much prefer if the whole top or the last 1/3 section of it would be perforated. I understand a single fan hole like this is advantageous over a perforated top, because it lets in much less dust. And usually I am a fan of form follows function, but in this particular case, I see the fan hole as a terrible eyesore. And I am sorry for the strong words.

I have no doubt Lian Li was contemplating different options when designing the PC-Q35. Perhaps they even though about exactly all the propositions I have made in this post. In that case, if possible, I would value any words on what made Lian Li decide to build the PC-Q35 like they did.

Finally, please excuse my odd writing style and any errors I made, as English is not my first language.

Click image for larger version

Name:	q35-0004-5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	756249
    Last edited by LianLiFan; 01-04-2014, 05:19 PM. Reason: Added my gripes about the top cover fan hole

Re: The PC-Q35: a great case. If it had the PSU in the bottom.

Originally posted by LianLiFan View Post
    The PC-Q35 would be great case. If it had the PSU mounted in the bottom.

So today I was browsing the Lian Li website, looking for information about when the PC-Q33 would be released in Europe. Then I discovered the PC-Q35. Unfortunately, like with almost all Lian Li Mini-ITX cases, I found something with it that disqualified it for me. Only this time, the case is so close to perfections, that it made me do a quick photoshop and register with this forum to share my ideas and hopefully get some feedback from Lian Li.

But first let me tell what I really like about the PC-Q35. It's the hinged front door. Even if somebody had to install an ODD, the door would beautifully keep it out of sight. I also like the angled edges of the door. With the door, Lian Li can at the same time keep both factions happy: Those who like to have the option of installing an ODD, and those who don't have the use for it or even despise the looks of an ODD. I count myself to the latter as well ;-)

Also, the PC-Q35 lets users install a long GPU.

Now, please let me explain what I would do different with the PC-Q35. First I would place the PSU at the bottom. There are two benefits from this. First, it enables the user to install a much taller, and therefore much more efficient, CPU cooler. Second, the PSU would not be heated from the CPU and GPU.

I understand that with the PSU in the bottom, long GPU would collide with the HDD cage. But there is a simple fix for this: Manufacture the HDD in a way that it can be removed, and/or split. This way one could have an HDD or two in the lower part. And more in the upper part. Or have just the upper part, and create HDD mounting positions in the case floor. Although I certainly would prefer a split HDD cage to that.

I would like to say something about the top cover fan hole too. In my opinion, it looks really bad. It is the reason why I dislike all other cases (e.g. the PC-V354) that have this. The reason it looks so bad, to me at least, is the asymmetry. The makers of the NCASE M1 say it in very good words I think: "Rather than detract from it, the air vents on the top and sides incorporate the needed cooling into the case in a symmetric, cohesive whole." I would much prefer if the whole top or the last 1/3 section of it would be perforated. I understand a single fan hole like this is advantageous over a perforated top, because it lets in much less dust. And usually I am a fan of form follows function, but in this particular case, I see the fan hole as a terrible eyesore. And I am sorry for the strong words.

I have no doubt Lian Li was contemplating different options when designing the PC-Q35. Perhaps they even though about exactly all the propositions I have made in this post. In that case, if possible, I would value any words on what made Lian Li decide to build the PC-Q35 like they did.

Finally, please excuse my odd writing style and any errors I made, as English is not my first language.

[ATTACH]6463[/ATTACH]
    Hi LianLiFan,

Thanks for your feedback. One of the reasons why we put the PSU over the CPU cooler is that it allows for an overall smaller form factor. It is true that some CPU overclockability is sacrificed for this. Thankfully, it seems that the whole industry is on a trend for smaller, and there are more and more slim profile CPU coolers coming out.

The concern that you shared is actually one of the main reasons why we designed the PC-Q33. We wanted to introduce a Mini-ITX case with more room for tall CPU coolers as well as support for watercooling.

For your comments on the top fan, there is always a balance between form and function that needs to be made. For the PC-Q35, in the testing stage we felt that it needed the fan for performance reasons. However, with your proposed build, and making it a bit taller a rear fan would suffice.

Comment

Working...
    X