Im Moving to Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im Moving to Linux!

While still keeping my main XP machine, i mean.
    But ill eventually move everything over when i get comfortable.

What do i really need?
    Seems like most hardware is supported.
    Possible types include Madrake, Red Hat, and Lycoris.

Can i still use Photoshop 7? What about newer scanners? Trillian? Opera a good IE substitute? Which is the preffered FTP proggy in Linux? P2P proggy's?

Throw it all down, and in large doses, i can take it.

I'm leanin' more to Lycoris myself but I want to know more about the older support if possible (I may soon have another older SS7 setup, ISA SB16, PCI TNT2,etc... to play with). I'll still go along with the programs though. :devil:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Most distro's have a page similar to this

http://www.lycoris.com/webservices/hcl/

As in all matters PC a few hours of research pays back immensely -- particularly when you're asking the right questions as you fellows are.
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

i noticed that page first. but when i put down my mobo name it wouldn't come up. I know im doing something wrong you dont have to tell me that, should i just type in 761 chipset, or other specific stuff like southbridge? HPT controllers? and how does SBLive! cards do in linux? i just need someone to tell me they suck in linux so i can have a reason to go buy a Acoustic Edge or a mid-priced forttissmo (spelling off i know)

also, what does it mean when they say "open-source" for linux, does that men the original plain working development copy is free, or is that some lingo for how the colonel (funny, i mean kernel) werks? specifically how does intrinsic design theory of linux differ from windows? that may be the same answer as open source, i dont know...

[EDIT]
        nvrmnd, i checked again by list and not search, the KG7-RAID is supported, do they have and general drivers for the GF2MX400 because most of those damn cards are all the same?

Comment

Most, if not all motherboards & chipsets are supported under linux. however, not by default. In the case where you arent getting the correct support from the stock kernel, you will have to recompile the kernel minus generic support and plus specific drivers for your hardware. Its like doing a fresh install of windows, then install latest via 4-in-1s (or whatever mobo drivers you need), latest directx, vid drivers, raid controller programs etc etc before actually using the machine.

nVidia maintain linux drivers at the same quality as its windows Detonator XP series. You wont notice a thing (apart from the blazing speed) :) with the transition from windows games to linux games. Soundblaster Live! cards are supported fully under the 2.4.xx kernel. As for software, i dunno. Havent looked as of yet.
          For excuse purposes, im afraid youve got none. Creative sound cards run fine im afraid :(

:)

Open Source software simply means the software is free and, well, open source. The source files for the software are freely available to anyone who wishes to contribute/build from it.

Comment

This is my main worry atm, with windows 9x on SS7 mobos with TNT/2 video cards (I won't run XP, or 2k) on these as the performance slug is to much IMO) I can't get satisfactory performance/stabilty/compatibility from anything more than 5.32 Dets and DX7.1 (DX8 will eventually just bring the whole system down). So am I lookin' at similar probs here? DX8 isn't a worry for me anyway as the main purpose of this atm is just a simple server setup with good net and office apps so it can be used as a backup when necessary. :?:

I use mainly Office 97 Pro and would like some portage here with Word, Excell and Outlook/Outlook Express (the last not critical but a substitute similar will be required) plus I'll probably need some opinions on some of the Paint/Photo Editing/Imagining software available. ;)

A good beginers link on recompiling the kernal I think maybe handy as well to study for a while as well. :)

Thanx. :D

Comment

Sorry but I just thought of something else, does anyone know of someone else running Seti on linux and was there any probs in doing it? :?:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                This is my main worry atm, with windows 9x on SS7 mobos with TNT/2 video cards (I won't run XP, or 2k) on these as the performance slug is to much IMO) I can't get satisfactory performance/stabilty/compatibility from anything more than 5.32 Dets and DX7.1 (DX8 will eventually just bring the whole system down). So am I lookin' at similar probs here? DX8 isn't a worry for me anyway as the main purpose of this atm is just a simple server setup with good net and office apps so it can be used as a backup when necessary. :?:

I use mainly Office 97 Pro and would like some portage here with Word, Excell and Outlook/Outlook Express (the last not critical but a substitute similar will be required) plus I'll probably need some opinions on some of the Paint/Photo Editing/Imagining software available. ;)

A good beginers link on recompiling the kernal I think maybe handy as well to study for a while as well. :)

Thanx. :D
                This site has some pretty good HOWTOs. They prolly arent 'elite' or 'the best' but theyve helped me out on more than one occasion. If you specify what Distro you wanna run, specific kernel compile guides can be found. (as some distros differ)

As for linux on a SS7 based machine, itll run fine. What your worry will be is what window manager you decide to run. Linux itself is pretty darned quick, its the window managers with their fancy features that slows you down. Think of it as a dos/Windows situation. Dos will boot in seconds and perform like a dream. Only until you load Windows will the machine bog down under the pressure.
                Generally, the older the distro, the older the window manager. Mandrake 8.2 includes KDE 2.2.2, which is stable AND quick. Dont expect super-duper fonts and wizz-bang graphical features though. Ive never run a window manager on a SS7 based system, so you might wanna give it a go. I promise nothing :)

Depending again on the distro & its version, 'The Gimp' will probably be installed along with Gnome (another window manager) and should cure your graphical editing needs. (its just as, if not more, powerful as photoshop)
                OpenOffice (free) or Staroffice (which you gotta pay for now I think) will work alongside MSOffice fine. Dont expect 100% compatibility, but as of yet, I havnt come across an OfficeXp file OOffice cant open.

Another along-with-gnome program is Evolution. Its an Outlook-like email program. KDE also comes with a bare-basic outlook express type email program as well.

'Luck

Comment

SS7 mobo's work fine in linux, and as for recompiling your kernel it wont be needed unless you have some really old/obscure propriety cdrom drive or controller, any mobo that conforms to the standards will be fine, although some ultra new mobo's/chipsets do require the latest kernel for full performance but will still work with the generic kernel.
                  The latest nvidia drivers will work perfectly with a TNT and as there is no propriety DX# stuff that forces you to upgrade perfectly good hardware to run you have nothing to worry about there, nvidia supply an openGL implementation in the GLX package that matches their kernel module package and it runs on all supported boards without any extra software.
                  For compatability with Office 97 you just need to install Open Office, I use it to open word, excel and powerpoint docs, evolution (already included in 99.9% of distro's) will give you a mail client that looks and feels like outlook and there are several projects that will give you an exchange server/client replacement that should be ready for the masses by xmas (hehehe).
                  Seti, I'm running seti@home and using ksetisaver to control it.
                  And last but not least, have a look at the kernel-howto at the Linux Documentation Project for all you wanted to know (and more) about compiling a kernel.
                  p-two.net

Comment

Sblive! sucks in linux... at least mine did, damn crackling... I think grim reaper had the same problem and he's using sblive digital (mine's value)

I wouldn't just go off what i've told you tho...
                    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
                    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

Try increasing your PCI latency from 32 to 48 (in bios somewhere)

Had the same prob with my value in windows. Flashpoint would crackle like hell. read somewhere that helps, but other pci devices might suffer. network card took the extra latency fine, upgraded to the live de 5.1 card and now runs fine at 'normal' pci latency.

Comment

question... answered

question... answered

question... answered

question... answered

I think im ready. My last reason not to move would be Photoshop. I need a graphics program that is EXACTLY like photoshop (ive grown accustoimed, sorry) or a Photoshop itself, is Photoshop available there? If not i still think i might try and learn a new one...

Comment

The Gimp is the alternative to Photoshop. It is included with any distro that includes Gnome. (which is any current distro) Or available seperatly.

Comment

There are about 4 - 5 FTP Clients and 1 - 2 FTP Servers in Mandrake 9.0. The GIMP is an OK image editor, but it doesn't have the user-friendliness that Photoshop has. I'm going to try and emulate Photoshop 6.0 in Linux / WineX to see what happens. If I can run it no problem, the I'm satisfied! :) I know Paint can be emulated no problem. The SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 worked fine for me in Mandrake 9.0 and the NVidia in Linux is way better than the NVidia in Windows, I find! Everybuddy could be a good alternative to Trillian, but I rather use GAIM and GnomeICU instead! :) For the scanners, what one do ya have, JediAgent?

Here's the one gripe I have in Linux: The P2P client. LimeWire doesn't work even with Java 1.4.1 installed! EDonkey2000 won't load up a random server IP automatically and the interface is bad! If some developer can create a recent WinMX-Like, OpenNap, or KaZaA-Like P2P client, that would be sufficient to knock out Windows! :D

Comment

I use Qtella for P2P in linux.
                              p-two.net

Comment

Working...
                              X