X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danger ??

Hi
    I have a Dfi AD72-SN Motherborad whit the Via kt266 Chipset
    and an Athloon thunderbird 1333 Mhz , and i´ve over clocked is to 1400 Mhz , now i wonder is there any chance that the Cpu will wear out over time ? current Cpu Temp is : 60 celcius

thanks

OC'ing by that amount isn't likely to cause a problem.

that amount of heat could shorten the life of your CPU though - I would invest in a better cooler If I were in your shoes.

There are some fairly inexpensive ones that could get your temps down into the 40's

Comment

yes

Comment

Invest in some better cooling. 60C will certainly shorten the life of the CPU.
        Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

Originally posted by skullshot
          yes
          putting it plain and simple there SKS

as RDR said, if you keep it cool there will be less ware and tear caused to your CPU
          TT Original

Comment

Not that cooling is a bad thing (i have 13 fans running on my pc), but i doubt you'll still be using that Chip by the time it reaches the end of its useful life...

Comment

if nothing else try using a different thermal compound like artic silver III or artic alumina

Comment

or even A thermal paste of some sort.. not the standard thermal pad that you get with most basic HSFs....

Comment

good point Beefy

Comment

A good quality heatsink & fan will also lower your temps. What have you got at the moment?

Comment

Cooling is not everything. My motherboard flipped out on me when I overclicked the FSB to 150. The PC ran stable, benchmarks... everything... Just the ability to format harddrives died. Could not format any harddrive bigger then 6 gigs, hung in the middle, even with the FSB back at 133. Had to exchange the motherboard.

Comment

overclocking wont damage it much at all, it may reduce the life of the processor marginally but nothing major, enjoy the free SPEEEED :) :afro:

Comment

Originally posted by nVladik
                          Cooling is not everything. My motherboard flipped out on me when I overclicked the FSB to 150. The PC ran stable, benchmarks... everything... Just the ability to format harddrives died. Could not format any harddrive bigger then 6 gigs, hung in the middle, even with the FSB back at 133. Had to exchange the motherboard.

That's a common problem when you overclock the FSB..... some brands of Hard Drives (eg Quantum, Western Digital) love running at high bus speeds, and others (mainly Maxtor) drives don't tolerate the PCI bus being driven much above 33MHz. If you overclocked to 150MHz, your PCI bus would have been running at 37.5MHz, not vastly high but enough to cause problems with some hardware :flames:
                          What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

I put A Ice qube on that amd It will not last long at that temp
                            thill be showing a viedo of it burning up on tom's hardwere.

Comment

Albinus: actually it was the motherboard, not the harddrive. I tried 3 different brands of harddrives, seagate, IBM and maxtor.... all same problem. Shipped the board back to the place I got it from, new worked just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X