Linux but no XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux but no XP

Last night i was playing around with different multi-boot settings in MDK9 and figuerd out how to set my XP drive to be default.
    Restarted, LILO graphical menu came up, pressed [enter] to go into XP, then GRUB came up told that to go into XP aswell, and it looped back to the start of GRUB, so i thought umm....
    Heaps of mesing around in linux and restarting quite a few time for testing and still no XP, so i thought i would have a look at my drive with XP on it, browsed to it in linux and BANG much to my suprise it was blank, nothing in it????
    Does anyone know what is happening with it?

uh oh.

not a good sign dude. if you cant see any files on it from within linux, then chances are, there simply arent any files on it. You running XP on an NTFS partition or a FAT32?

Try booting from the XP CD and attempt a recovery.

As a rule of thumb, linux boot loader programs take no care to existing bootloaders on a partition and will overwrite them at the drop of a hat. ALWAYS be careful when messing with them.

Comment

Damn :mad:
      It's NTFS, I think i'll run this one on XP for now and when i get my new CPU run my second system off linux.

Comment

That's why I figured throwing another SS7 setup together (got most of what's needed) and learning on that while leaving my current setup alone till I feel confident enough with it to slot in as the server then take the next step. ;)

Damn! forgot somethin', better get back to that other thread.

Comment

I have had a great deal of success with my method.
          I put LILO on a 3.5" floppy, that is attatched to the exterior of my tower by a string so it is always handy.

When I want to run Linux I insert said floppy disk and boot the system. When I want Windows, I just let the floppy dangle there on the string.

Simple but effective!

And thanks to the high tech piece of string I never have to go in search of the LILO floppy disk.

Personally, I think this is by far the easiest solution to the dilemna of the dual boot Linux/Windows PC.
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

What happens when MS include an 'External cutting device to remove intruding operating system boot disc(s)' to their next service pack eh?

eh?

:)

Comment

Try doing "modprobe ntfs" (as root) and then mounting your XP partition.
              p-two.net

Comment

I recon i could glue a disk to my forehead and still manage to lose it.

Comment

...your head, disc or.......both?

Comment

Both :laugh:

Comment

Working...
                    X