can it be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can it be done?

I want to turn my PC into a TiVo type device. I basically want to be able to record programs and watch them at another time, store them, fast foreward, pause, etc... as you can with a TiVo I would also like to possibly get some of the advanced functionality that the TiVo incorporates. I also have a DVD rom on my box, so I would like to use that as my DVD player.

Now - is this possible? Any websites that any of you know about. You can see all the hardware that I have to work with in my sig, so what kind of stuff do I need? :?:

Just want to kind of start a discussion. You can IM me also, @ malder

Thanks!

:cheers:
    <table width="225" height="100" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="100"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMD
    Athlon XP2500+ FSB333<br>
    Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
    2X256 Corsair XMS PC3200<br>
    80GB Deskstar 7200RPM</font>
    </p></td><td width="125"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sound
    Blaster Live!<br>
    Volcano 7+<br>
    GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB<br>
    19" TRINITRON CRT FLAT<br><br> ANTEC true430 PSU</font>
    </p></td></tr></table>

"Borrow" someones TiVo and take it apart just to see whats up.
    Just a suggestion.

Comment

So long as ya have a VIVO video card or video capture card you shoul be able to with a program like PowerVCR II 3.0 or Media Studio 6.5 (and probably many others). If you want to rip DVD's then http://www.doom9.org/ should help ya out there. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

You don't list the features on your vid card. You need a TV-in feature to do it as Wiggo said. The type of software youy are looking for is called PVR (personal video recorder). Some video cards with VIVO come with an app to do this. The ATI All-in-Wonder cards, for example, have been able to do this for some time.

Comment

I know the ASUS deluxe Geforce series used to have ViVo as well - the Radeon AIW's are a little pricier than a regular ViVo - since they also have a TV tuner incorporated

I'm pretty sure ASUS makes a GF4 MX440 & a GF4 Ti4200 with ViVo...and Asus has their own digital VCR program bundled with the cards.:thumb:

Comment

My video card doesn't have a video in, just out.

I don't know anyone who has a TiVo... even if I did I doubt they'd let me take it apart!

I was wondering... I have a firewire card for my DVCAM, is there anything that I could buy to bring the TV signal through the firewire? Tha would be ideal...

Thanks for all the help.
            <table width="225" height="100" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="100"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMD
            Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
            </p></td><td width="125"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sound
            Blaster Live!<br>
            Volcano 7+<br>
            </p></td></tr></table>

Comment

You'll have to get a video capture card then and make sure that it's compatible with your operating system (it will probably come with software to do what you want anyway). Or sell your current video card and get something like the Leadtek GF4 Ti4200 My VIVO which would be the easier way to go and it comes with Video Studio. ;)
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I didnt say borrow i said "borrow" - with the best of intentions of course and return it working correctly...

Comment

ahhhh... as in 'borrow' from my friendly salesman @ best buy? mmm... interesting :laugh:
                  Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
                  Blaster Live!<br>
                  Volcano 7+<br>
                  </p></td></tr></table>

Comment

your learning.... but you must maintain the word - "borrow"

Comment

Working...
                    X