PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Button

SegiY
10-31-2002, 03:08 PM
Working with some old AT's at work today and i came to the conclusion:
I say bring back the turbo button!
with the amount of people overclocking these days you could program the turbo button to quick switch between 2 different FSB's.

bigjackusa
10-31-2002, 03:51 PM
Neat idea, but I doubt you could do that while you were running. I am sure that would bolix up everything already in the ram, and Windows for one, would have a fit. Maybe a software supported option to reboot to an alternate bios configuration?

FLaCo
10-31-2002, 03:53 PM
Cool idea...but like jack said...windows would go---->:cantfocus

SegiY
10-31-2002, 04:04 PM
Bah a small price :p

Well even if it did reboot, it would still be cool :thumb:

Should be submitterd to a MoBo manafactuer, any one here manafacuter MoBo's???

The__tweaker
10-31-2002, 04:44 PM
I once had a small program that came with an asus mobo that let me change the cpu speed from windows desktop and apply it without reboot.

Raven
10-31-2002, 04:52 PM
Now I get your idea, but wasn't the idea of a "Turbo" button to actually allow the computer to be slowed down to play games designed for older comps?

Kinda silly to call it a "turbo" button eh?

SileNceR
10-31-2002, 05:58 PM
SoftFSB can be used to change the FSB while running on some motherboards.

pga1234
10-31-2002, 08:25 PM
Easytune4 changes the FSB while windows is running :?:

Wiggo
10-31-2002, 08:51 PM
So long as have a Gigabyte board then that will work. ;)

:beer: :beer: :beer:

SegiY
11-01-2002, 09:44 AM
But you want the button there!
It's not the same if you don't have the little (or big in some cases) turbo button that trigers a little display showing the alterd speed.
Someone could combine an LCD display with a button or two and have/make the right software for it, and BANG moden day turbo button! monitor the temps and all.
Too bad i'm to lazy to acctually carry through with the idea :sleepy:

Wiggo
11-01-2002, 09:55 AM
I've had a lot of fun with those digital displays on cases with the turbo buttons. One Celeron 333 that left here dislayed it's speed normally but when ya hit the turbo button the display changed to 666, or there is the two digit favourite of dislayin' HI normally but 69 when the button is hit. :D
<center>:cheers:</center>

SegiY
11-01-2002, 10:06 AM
Ahh... the pros of old computers :thumb:

bigjackusa
11-01-2002, 03:52 PM
Wiggo

I still have a whole stack of these from different cases for rigs that I've built.

Wiggo
11-01-2002, 04:33 PM
Yes those do come in handy but finding out by trail and error can reveal some interesting results occassionally. ;)

FLaCo
11-01-2002, 11:04 PM
What the heck is that ...a map to a lost treasure???

bigjackusa
11-02-2002, 12:49 AM
A lot of old AT cases had segmented displays to show the operating freq of the cpu at both the slower and turbo speeds. The display elements were mounted on a board that had many jumper pins. You had to set the jumpers according to the layout on the sheet (like in the pic) to get the appropriate numbers to appear. It was a real pain and it seemed that many case manufacturers used a different layout. I used to throw the charts under the counter mats on my bench after I used them. I guess after all these years, it's time to take all of them and put them in the filing cabinet as I doubt I'll see any more cases that I'll need to set up with them.

Wiggo
11-02-2002, 07:10 AM
Yeah some only had a few jumpers while others seemed to have a hundred and I don't remember comin' across any that were really the same. You'd get a few that would look to be the same module but the jumper setup would be totally different. ;)

yuri yavari
11-04-2002, 06:44 AM
Yup,
And some very creative,and down right pain in the butt locations of these jumpers...:)