No announcement yet.

Pc is rebooting instead of shutting down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pc is rebooting instead of shutting down.

I had all the wires uplugged from the motherboard (power button, speaker etc) recently and since then when I select shutdown in windows, the pc will restart instead of powering off. I can't see any specific connector I could have reconnected the wrong way..so Im asking you guys for help :) It could even be a jumper. I really can't remember what I did as it was a few months ago.

Thanks.

I can't think of any hardware changes you might have done to cause this. In my experience it's almost always a software problem (Windows settings, drivers, programs that don't know how to shut down properly), or a bios setting. I don't know enough about your setup to point you in a specific direction.

Comment

Ah..I'll have a look in the BIOS. definitly not a windows/program problem as Ive had this problem with windows 98, and i've just recently reformatted and installed win2k. same thing happens.

Comment

Checked the BIOS...no setting there for it :\

Comment

there bios settings on some boards that will cause that to happen - my father-in-law had it happening on his T'Bird 800/Epox 8KTA2 - we got it sorted out in the bios - although I don't recall the specific settings we changed

I had the same thing happening on my AMD box just recently - I couldn't stop it from restarting no matter what I tweaked - I finally did a fresh WinXP install and the problem went away.

Comment

my girlfriends computer does this, since we re-installed winxp (this also involved a transition to a new HDD and Case) so i will try playin around with it to fix it 2nite, i'll let u know how i go.

what motherboard is it that is giving you trouble?

Comment

Some old pentium 2 intel board. AL440x or something..

Comment

hrm, well still no go here...more playing to be done though..

thats a very different mobo than my GF's tho, her's is an iwill xp333

will let u know how things turn out

Comment

New to the board here and my father asked me this same question today, so I thought I'd come here to ask.

When your using XP does this procedure not help, I found it in another thread.

I've not tried it yet so if it does or doesn't help please post your results.

Poxy

Simple"-Right click My computer select Properties then hardware-device manager then do not change the view it should be on "devices by type" left click computer in the device tree then right click ACPI system - update driver-Select "Dont search I will choose the driver to install".
                  Now choose Advanced Configuration and Power Interface(ACPI)PC. Should solve most power management probs.

Comment

i can say it is a windows problem.

I had that problem arise a few months after installation of Windows 95 and 98 and sooner with Windows Me. I cannot recall it occuring with Win98SE.

Although ....however....i had WinXP Pro installed on this machine now for nearly 9 months now and that never arose....let alone no problems arose where I had to reinstall the OS.

Comment

My wife had the re-boot problem show up on a machine at work after installing MS Office. A re-install (overtop) of xp fixed it.

Comment

yes i solved this with a format - just so u know, after all i tried - she decided i can format it.!

Comment

why didn't any one point towards a BSOD and a system set to "Automatically Restart"? :confused:
                          it is a known issue with Roxio Easy CD Creator version 5.0 and WinXP.
                          Read more about it on ZDNet Australia and M$ Article.
                          About bigjackusa with M$ office...cdn't it have been a same problem of BSOD? :?:
                          Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                          Last Updated:
                          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                          ======================
                          jabber : [email protected]
                          =======================
                          Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                          yabaa dabaa doo...
                          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

asklepios

She never mentioned seeing a BSOD. I do know that Nero is the burner software on that machine. I am just dumbfounded over what Office could have done that a re-install would have fixed? If it installed a badly behaved .dll for example, you would think this would have happened to everybody. It has a Matrox vid card, so it isn't related to the Nvidia stuff. Just another "mystery of the universe" I guess.

Comment

bigjackusa

may be she didn't mention the BSOD cos the PC was set to "Automatically Restart". that is my point.
                              you don't see the BSOD and it just restarts. may be you are right that it is a mystery and it really is for me.
                              Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                              Last Updated:
                              10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                              ======================
                              jabber : [email protected]
                              =======================
                              Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                              yabaa dabaa doo...
                              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
                              X