X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i Access my BIOS or CMOS?!

Hi

Anyone know how i can access my bios

because i need to try and change some settings for the AGP to try rid the infinate loop prob...

Well, i have tryed Del and F10 and i get a blue screen with a title Compaq System Configuration utility... but not a proper bios with all them AGP PCI bus etc options were i can change temp etc

I have a Compaq Presario 5WV280 u can see it at http://www.compaq.co.uk

I have tryewd EVERYTHING i dont know wot 2 do and i cant have a good gfx card goto waste because i cant change settings for the bios HOW?!

Sammy

first problem - it's a Compaq.. not being harsh to the company, but they like to do things their own way and don't really do what anyone else does. As far as I know, that's probably all the BIOS options you've got. I use a Compaq at work, and once I managed to open the case to reset the BIOS password (it had an electronic lock on the case! how hi-tech is that?!? ) I went in and it was a basic system config utility. They don't like you playing with their machines...

On a personal note, I feel that if you are willing to jump in the BIOS and tweak your settings, then you shouldn't have bought a Compaq.. you would have built your own PC by that stage.. no offense intended....

Comment

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS - SEARCH RESULTS

Compaq FAQ: Accessing the BIOS / CMOS (FAQ2478)
      ACCESSING YOUR SYSTEM'S BIOS

Restart the machine

Press the F10 key when the red COMPAQ logo is displayed

Make the required changes

Press F10 again to save the changes and restart the machine

Once the machine has restarted, the changes should be active.

That's straight off the site you linked dude - usually compaq has limited BIOS functions, as it cuts down on the amount of customer support they have to provide.
      All about the bottom line in the industry, that's why you really want to build your own.
      Might try searching for 3rd party utilities.

You could try going to http://web14.compaq.com/falco/sp_list.asp and check out those Compaq Presario nVidia Unified Graphics Drivers - there are several different ones there.
      I imagine those drivers aren't built for performance, but neither was the whole system. Might be worth a try to see if it will fix the loop issue though.
      Good luck!
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

except the "usual settings" aren't in a package PC from comcrap

you want to change stuff like that, buy a new mobo with real components...

no offense, i just hate pc's like that...

Comment

Originally posted by skullshot
          except the "usual settings" aren't in a package PC from comcrap

you want to change stuff like that, buy a new mobo with real components...

no offense, i just hate pc's like that...
          basically what I said, just a little more to the point. :)

Comment

i needed to mention that i hate compaq, but add meaning to the post as well :D

Comment

i understand fully... ;)

Comment

i get into my bios with DEL, but you could try F1 F2 or F10, sometimes yelling helps.

Comment

he got into the 'BIOS'.. it's just that the Compaq BIOS isn't quite what it should be.. hence the anti-Compaq comments above.. :)

Comment

Actually the instructions for reaching the BIOS on a Compaq take you to a system configuration utility:eek:
                    For all practical purposes, the actual BIOS is forbidden:(
                    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Working...
                    X