PDA

View Full Version : cd's not found on raid mobo

etrix6
01-17-2002, 10:59 AM
Just built a box with a Soyo dragon + 1900xp, 2 hd's 1cdrw 1 dvd. When I boot it takes a long time looking for the ide's then boots. It doesn't find the cd's. I switched the jumper on the mobo to enable 4 ide's but nothing. When I installed xp I had the cdrw in the ide 2 spot and it worked fine. I got the newest driver from soyo and it says hit f6 then s nothing. Did they mean before I put the jumper on ide? Is there a big gain using 4 ide's over the master slave setup? XP is also taking a long time to boot. Sorry for all the question just want to get this puppy going. :cry:
Any hekp would be appreciated Ed:beer: :beer:
What about the jumpers on the hd's and cd's all master?

Beefy
01-17-2002, 11:16 AM
Before I start spouting useless info at ya, which drives have you got on which controller?

Ie:

Normal IDE ports- 2 HDDs

RAID IDE ports - 2 CD drives...

???

etrix6
01-17-2002, 07:25 PM
I have the 40 gig 7200 on ide 1, the 30 gig 5400 on ide 2, the dvd on ide 3 (raid ) and the cdrw on ide 4 (raid) I hope this helps.
thanx Ed:beer:
what are the hd and cd jumpers set to? All master if I use ide 1, 2, 3, 4?

Bahamut Zer0
01-17-2002, 08:26 PM
You might find that cdrom devices wont function on the raid ports.
Try putting your hdds on the raid ports, and your cdroms on the standard ide ones. See how you go with that.

etrix6
01-17-2002, 08:28 PM
BZ, I" try it and see what happens. thanx. Ed:drunk:

Wiggo
01-17-2002, 08:36 PM
Well those drives should work provided you have the jumper set to standard IDE operation (see page 43 of your manual with another reference on page 51) and also make sure that the controller is enabled in ya BIOS and that both drives are set as master as well and all should work fine. ;)
<center>:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:</center>

SileNceR
01-17-2002, 09:26 PM
if its a Highpoitn raid controller it should be right,
if its promise,
put the hdds on the raid and the cds on the ide channels

you should do that anyway cos ur hdds will be the ones with the performance increase on the raid controller, not ur cd/dvd

etrix6
01-17-2002, 09:33 PM
Do I set the cd's and the hd's to master? In the bios are all the devices set to scsi? Both my hd's show up now but nothing on ide 3 & 4. (dvd cdrw) I am going to switch them but the last time all I got was 2 cd devices.I checked the jumper and the bios to make sure the controller was enabled. I want 4 ide's. Is there a gain in speed over the master slave setup? Thanx Ed:crazy: :beer
promise controller

Wiggo
01-17-2002, 09:52 PM
If ya runnin' 1 of each then set them all to masters. ;)
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

sKuLLsHoT
01-17-2002, 10:05 PM
RTFM, it sounds like you haven't got the raid setup right yet

there may be an advantage of using you raid ports as IDE3/4

Wiggo
01-17-2002, 10:17 PM
I think he just wants to use it as a standard IDE controller which it's quite capable of doing. ;)

SileNceR
01-17-2002, 10:17 PM
if you have ever read ANYTHING about promise controllers the FIRST thing you will see is that they CAN NOT run CD-roms - that is WHY the HPT controllers are preferred - because they fcan funciton as a normal controller... i also belive promise controllers may need an actuall raid setup running - not just sepetrate drives but of that i am not sure

this is why it sint showing up... and if the hdds never showed up when you swapped them over then you musn't have the raid controller enabled properly

Wiggo
01-17-2002, 10:29 PM
Well I read the manual for that board and it should work as it says so. ;)

etrix6
01-17-2002, 10:42 PM
In the manual for the soyo dragon + SY-K7V it says on page57, onboard promise ide raid. On the mobo chip it says promise.What about the ultra family driver? Does that have to be installed at the initial setup? When you install the ultra family driver where does it write to? HD, promise chip ? :eek: :beer: thanx Ed
Is there any real speed agin in using 4 ide's over the master slave config?

Anonymous
01-17-2002, 11:09 PM
Check your Device Manager and see if it's showing and if it does but with the yellow fault sign just load the drivers there and if it doesn't show go into the control panel and run add hardware. I know the Promise Lite version doesn't support CD drives of any type but this is suppose to be the Ultra version which you just can't boot from the CD on. :smokin:

etrix6
01-17-2002, 11:11 PM
With the 2 hd's on ide 3 & 4 and the dvd and cdrw on 1 & 2 it sees everything but the second hd. Any thoughts. No I mean about the computer. ;) thanx Ed:sleepy:

Wiggo
01-17-2002, 11:12 PM
Bugger ^that^ was mine and if you arn't sharing an IDE channel the channel will be faster. ;)

Wiggo
01-17-2002, 11:15 PM
Is it reporting the HDD on 3 as the correct size? :smokin:
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

etrix6
01-17-2002, 11:18 PM
yes it shows the correct size. i am going to check the cables. On boot the promise controller only finds one hd. Whats up with that?:beer: :beer: thanx Ed only one hd in device mngr

Wiggo
01-17-2002, 11:27 PM
Sorry gettin' tired and about time for bed but what I meant was both the standard IDE controller as well as the other in the Device Manager and the driver for it can be added thru the Device Manager as it needs to be in Windows. :smokin:

etrix6
01-17-2002, 11:40 PM
Still no hd on ide 3. Checked device manager for errors, nothing.
Checked cables. ok. Checked hd to make sure it was working, it is.
The ultra promise controller says it only finds the hd on ide 3.
Thanx Ed:cry: :drunk:

Beefy
01-18-2002, 04:48 AM
OK, for the master slave question you keep asking, there is a ever so slight drop in speed, but who cares.. for the HDD that isn't showing up, try set it up on the same cable as your DVD drive. Set the HDD to master, and the DVD to slave. There could be many reasons why it didn't work on the other port.. have you tried another cable in the same port, have you enabled both ports in the BIOS, etc.. but for the sake of getting it workin, just do what I suggested above.

Albinus
01-18-2002, 08:56 AM
i also belive promise controllers may need an actuall raid setup running - not just sepetrate drives but of that i am not sure

My Promise FastTrak 100 "Lite" runs a single drive no problems - the controller simply stripes the drive against itself, so it can't be taken out and used on a normal IDE controller but runs fine on another Promise one :geek:

Beefy
01-18-2002, 09:06 AM
which is one of the main reasons that you can only run HDDs on RAID controllers.. imagine striping a CD drive on itself.. not quite gonna work... :D

sKuLLsHoT
01-18-2002, 05:00 PM
unlike the Highpoint controller which has brilliantly added Standard as an automatic option for their IDE RAID crontroller, as it means you don't have to setup a drive array, nor are you limited to HDs only on the controller, i believe the ALi equivalient chipset also has the PnP capability with drives however does not support CDROMs, then theres the Promise controller (I know little about it myself) which seems to only support HDs and only ones configured as Single or Multiple Disk Arrays...

Does this seem an adequate summary of the given information so far?

Wiggo
01-19-2002, 08:22 AM
Straight from the manual. :?:

etrix6
01-20-2002, 06:49 AM
I tried all this and could only get ide 3 hd, ide 1 & 2 for dvd & cdrw. I loaded the ultra family driver also. Do you have to install the ultra family driver only on the first install of xp? When I hit f6 it let me hit a: and choose my driver from the floppy, but this was during a reinstall after I found out about the ultra driver. I tried
other config's and all the drives are working. I enabled the promise driver in the bios and the scsi/ata in bios. When booting the promise controller only finds 1 hd on ide 3. Should I have set the bios before installing the driver? Thanx Ed :beer: :beer: