MSI KT3 Ultra2-R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI KT3 Ultra2-R

I'm thinking of building my new system around the MSI KT3 Ultra2 R motherboard, and would like some opinions on this board....
    thanks

A reliable board from what I hear so you should do well. ;)

Comment

I am using the non raid version and it's been working to my liking. OC'ing seems to be decent as well. you can see my system on my sig (SYSTEM 2). good board.

Comment

I think I'm gonna just go ahead and use the Asus A7V8X board instead...

Comment

Originally posted by rvickner1
          I think I'm gonna just go ahead and use the Asus A7V8X board instead...
          What made you change your mind?
          - Damien

Comment

If you decide to go with a KT400 part, make sure that you get a second revision of the board that should carry the KT400CE chipset. It is suppose to have fixed some of the performance issues the original KT400 has/had. This was the same for the KT333's. If you read the earlier reviews you'd notice that the KT400 performs slightly better than the KT333 does, and in occasion even performed worse.

Comment

Basically i figure the benefits of the Kt400 are nice... 8X Agp, Serial ATA... And the fact I've heard some really good things about these Asus boards.... Bought a Samsung 512mb PC2700 stick to put in also.

The only thing is, I don't know which version of the board to get... I've seen A7V8X-A, and A7V8X-C.. I'd like the one that has the best sound system, meaning the one that comes with the additional I/O card with the digital out.. the website says it comes with the "audio version only", but i haven't seen one listed with "only audio"... also I think I like the idea of having the RAID built in... which version of the board would be the best interms of what i want....

thanks

Comment

When will the "KT400CE" chipset be out??? all i've seen is the KT400...

Comment

VIA and the MOBO companies never really announce the release of the CE revisions of the chipsets. Rather you just need to look for it, on the board itself. Also I would say, if you can, go with some PC-3200 CAS-2 Corsair XMS. then your OC'ing potential is higher. GEIL branded memory uses 5ns chips on their PC-3200 memory which offers faster performance. hope that helps.

Comment

Well I really don't plan on overclocking.... Unless Doom 3 runs like $hit on a 2100... :) which i doubt... I'm planning on getting the next generation nvidia card NV30... How will i be able to look on the board, if i buy it off the internet?? I wont be able to look at it... but i would assume if theres a new chipset the asus board will have it...

any ideas on what version of the A7V8X board i should get... i want the best audio first and formost...

Comment

Personally, I'd get at least the one with Serial-ATA. AS for the onboard NIC, it actually isn't such a bad option since it is 10/100/1000 after all. For a measly $30 more from the base model, you get the Digital I/O, Serial-ATA interface, and 10/100/1000 network card. For the $30 somewhat dollars it is money definitely worth spending considering what you are getting. Just get the fully loaded A7V8x for the best deal. Also, have you considered a ASUS A7N8X featuring the NFORCE-2 Motherboard. those should be really fast.

Comment

So the board with the Serial ATA has 10/10/1000 lan and the Digital I/O for the audio... Thats what I want, I want the one that has the best audio, meaning this digital I/O board... The board with serial ATA also has RAID doesnt it???

I'm not really interested in the nforce2, i've always had a board based on one VIA chipset or another... The only board that wasnt was my old P3 BX board... I've always been happy with the VIA chipset, I know they've taken some ridiculing lately, but personalilly I've never had a problem with them... I don't do much overclocking so that must be it.. LOL.. another thing with the nforce board is the onboard video.. I wont be using it, so why pay for something I wont use.. I'll hvae my G4 Ti4200 in for awhile until I get a new card based on the NV30 chip....

Comment

I've also been a loyal VIA user. I've never had any real problems that thier updated 4n1 drivers never fixed. But as for the exact board specs you need to be sure of what is included. The digital I/O should come with the board that has both Serial-ATA, 10/100/1000 NIC..but then again it seems that everything is an option now-a-days. From NEWEGG.COM it seems that you can get the board for $160.00 but that doesn't come with the Digital I/O, but you can buy it for $15.00 from thier site as well. I've checked a few places and have had no luck in finding the Mobo w/ the I/O.

I have never seen a A7V8X w/ a RAID option. Rather, I've only seen it with Serial-ATA as an option.

And heck, GF4-Ti4200 it runs most if not all games the way you want anyhow. i've got a GF3-Ti200 and it's still running games fine. UT2003, WCIII, QuakeIII, etc.

I guess you are NVIDIA loyal as well, but FYI TYAN came out with a RADEON 9700 clocked at 400MHz!! even faster than ATI's offering.

Comment

A2Zcomputers has 3 different boards they list as:

A7V8X /A/L $119
                            A7V8X /A/L/SAT/1394 $133
                            A7V8X /GBL/1394/SATA $129

if its possible to purchase that "optional"I/O board sepretly then thats fine too...

Yeah I read that Article about the Tyan 9700Pro card.. Interesting, but I can't see throwing down $300+ for a 9700 pro now, when the NV30 are right around the corner, clocked at 1000mhz +.....

And to answer your question, yea i'm pretty loyal to nvidia, only have ever had 1 card that wasn't nvidia chip based.... and that was my very 1st agp card..lol way back.. Hercules I think it was the Terminator 128, or something like that.. i forget.. but it was S3 chip based..

Comment

That's Strange how the A7V8X with the Gigabit LAN costs less than the one with the standard 10/100 LAN. Oh well, get the one that gives more for the dollar ($129).

As for video cards, I shop for what gives me the best bang for my $$$. I've switched back a forth between ATI and NVIDIA...but started with the PCI S3 Virge Decellerator. But back then I could say that I had a 2D/3D card....ha ha ha. Damn what a waste of money. LOL.

Well, it looks like your set A7V8X + GLAN + SATA + 1394 + onboard Audio.

Oh hey since your not much of an overclocker...and it seems that Audio is a big thing for you...you should really check out the AOPEN AX4B-533 Tube Motherboard. Sadly it's only for P4 based chips...for now, but that is high end audio componentry on a PC board. I'm kind of a sound snob, so I've been tempted too many times, but since I'm somewhat AMD loyal I tend to stay with them. BTE, what CPU are you planning to get for this board?

I've checked PRICEWATCH.COM and there are places that now carry the 2600+ w/333MHz BUS along with the 2700+ w/333MHz BUS. I've got to tell you that the 333MHz BUS is pretty nice...things do run a lot smoother. I've got my 1600+ @ 333MHz and it's much smoother than at 266MHz. But the new stuff always comes with the price premium.

Comment

Working...
                              X