Gigabyte GA-8PE667 Ultra motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-8PE667 Ultra motherboard?

Does anyone have or heard about the Gigabyte GA-8PE667 motherboard? Does anyone want to comment on Gigabyte boards? I would like to know more about them from people who have used them.

I haven't used it but a Anandtech review of it said that it could not run more than one stick or ram at DDR333!
    The Tweaktown reviewer seems to have not run into the same difficulties so not sure what to make of it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfin
      Does anyone have or heard about the Gigabyte GA-8PE667 motherboard? Does anyone want to comment on Gigabyte boards? I would like to know more about them from people who have used them.
      [size=9]

The reviews on this board is real good and I'm sure this beast is a speed demon. But, the only thing that stops me in buying this speed mongor is that it can't reach 667 MHZ with DDR RAM. The only thing that can reach these speeds is the 1066 RDRAM at 533 MGZ the 333 won't cut it. Anyone have an oppinion on this, because I'm a weak away from building a screamer?

Comment

I have built almost two dozen machines based on the GA-8PE667 Pro and the GA-8PE667 Ultra motherboards. They are great boards - easy to use, very fast and very, very stable.

One note about the "Ultra" and its RAID controller that most people seem to miss: It can use any IDE device - not just hard drives. This can be a distinct advantage if you need to connect a large number of drive devices and RAID is not important to you or if you are going to use a PCI RAID controller for SCSI drives or for RAID-5 with IDE drives.

On my personal machine, I have drives connected as follows:
        • IDE channel 0 (master) - WD800JB, 80GB, 7200rpm, 8MB cache (system & applications)
        • IDE channel 0 (slave) - not used
        • IDE channel 1 (master) - Lite On 16X DVD / 48X CD reader
        • IDE channel 1 (slave) - Iomega 250MB zip
        • IDE channel 2 (master) - WD1200JB, 120GB, 7200rpm, 8MB cache (data)
        • IDE channel 2 (slave) - WD1200JB, 120GB, 7200rpm, 8MB cache (data)
        • IDE channel 3 (master) - Plextor 48/24/48 CD-R/RW burner
        • IDE channel 3 (slave) - Pioneer DVR-A04 burner
        This is an ideal arrangement as it allows me maximum flexibility in transferring data among drives without having to transfer from master to slave (or vice versa) on the same IDE channel, thus ensuring maximum throughput.

BTW, I'm running a 2.4GHz P4B processor and 1.5GB (3 DIMMs) of PC3200 CAS 2.0 Corsair memory overclocked at 3.06GHz and DDR 425 with no problems at all !!!

Comment

Originally posted by WEH
          I have built almost two dozen machines based on the GA-8PE667 Pro and the GA-8PE667 Ultra motherboards. They are great boards - easy to use, very fast and very, very stable.

One note about the "Ultra" and its RAID controller that most people seem to miss: It can use any IDE device - not just hard drives. This can be a distinct advantage if you need to connect a large number of drive devices and RAID is not important to you or if you are going to use a PCI RAID controller for SCSI drives or for RAID-5 with IDE drives.

On my personal machine, I have drives connected as follows:
          • IDE channel 0 (master) - WD800JB, 80GB, 7200rpm, 8MB cache (system & applications)
          • IDE channel 0 (slave) - not used
          • IDE channel 1 (master) - Lite On 16X DVD / 48X CD reader
          • IDE channel 1 (slave) - Iomega 250MB zip
          • IDE channel 2 (master) - WD1200JB, 120GB, 7200rpm, 8MB cache (data)
          • IDE channel 2 (slave) - WD1200JB, 120GB, 7200rpm, 8MB cache (data)
          • IDE channel 3 (master) - Plextor 48/24/48 CD-R/RW burner
          • IDE channel 3 (slave) - Pioneer DVR-A04 burner
          This is an ideal arrangement as it allows me maximum flexibility in transferring data among drives without having to transfer from master to slave (or vice versa) on the same IDE channel, thus ensuring maximum throughput.

BTW, I'm running a 2.4GHz P4B processor and 1.5GB (3 DIMMs) of PC3200 CAS 2.0 Corsair memory overclocked at 3.06GHz and DDR 425 with no problems at all !!!

@WEH

I have the same board and I am pretty satisfied with it and I would like to ask u some questions because I am not familiar at all with overclocking..

First of all u quote some connection for your ide devices but I want to be sure that I got your configuration right cause I have 4 HDD's plus 1 DVD & 1 CDRW.

the order in which you state your drives is the following????
          correct me if I am wrong..

primary master
          primary slave
          secondary master
          secondary slave
          raid primary master
          raid primary slave
          raid secondary master
          raid secondary slave

have I got that right??

Plus, second question. With my specifics, this board plus P4 2,4GHz and 266mhz DDR Kingston Ram how can I overclock this machine a bit more but still keep it rock solid (could u tell me the bios changes..)

Also u are using the raid as ATA right?? not raid with drives in Array??

Comment

Working...
          X