Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z97 Extreme6 and Windows 8.1.1 Sleep after boot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97 Extreme6 and Windows 8.1.1 Sleep after boot?

Most people have trouble making there system sleep automatically. I have a little different problem, all of a sudden (P1.33 Update?) something causes the system to go to sleep as soon as Windows 8.1 Update 1 completes loading. It always does it after the system has been sitting overnight and sometimes twice in a row. However, after the system has been running it will do a cold boot many times and the sleep issue will not happen! Once again, am I the only guy with this strange problem? Any ideas on what is going on (besides it must be related to a cold MB/CPU) would be appreciated. Everything else seems to be ok although I have not had this configuration long enough to stumble into other issues that might be lurking.

Re: Z97 Extreme6 and Windows 8.1.1 Sleep after boot?

A little more information on my sleep issue - I changed the Power Options under "Balanced" to "Never" and "Never" and that had no effect. I changed the Power Options to "High Performance" which is "Never" and "Never" by default and that had no effect. The system still enters sleep mode the first two times I boot in the morning. Also, I think when I updated to P1.33 BIOS the only way to exit sleep mode is via the Power Button. I think under BIOS P1.20 the Mouse or Keyboard would wake it up in addition to activity on the Mouse or Keyboard?! The Mouse is wireless but the Keyboard is Wired via a USB port.

I am searching for some help on the the @#$$ Windows 8.1.1 is finding that is causing it to enter sleep mode after it has booted and setup the desktop. Again, could BIOS P1.33 be the culprit?

Comment

That is a strange problem, never heard of that before. I use the same board with Win 8.1, but I'm using BIOS 1.20, since I cannot flash to 1.30 or 1.33 without a weird on and off cycle that never ends right after the update. I don't have your Sleep problem, never had that happen.

Setting Sleep to Never in the two spots you did are the only ones I'm aware of. Did you also check Hibernate, which is in the same list when changing the power plan settings?

On the main/first screen for changing a Power Plan, in the upper left corner, there is an option "Choose what the power buttons do". Did you ever click that and check what the Shutdown settings are?

It could be the 1.33 BIOS is the problem. It is possible to change to 1.20 if you want to, using the dual BIOS feature and the BIOS recovery procedure.

Comment

You may have hit on something by accident. The P97 Extreme6 system has a couple of extra entries in the Power Button window. I changed the Sleep Button from "Sleep" to "Do Nothing" and at least for a moment in time the system did not go to sleep as soon as windows loaded. We'll see what happens after the system has been setting idle for a few hours.
        Attached Files

Comment

There is something strange going on in your PC, maybe it's related to the 1.33 BIOS. I don't have the entries for On Battery and Plugged In among my options on that screen:

Click image for larger version

Name:	power button window.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	754488

Why would a desktop PC have options that are applicable only for laptop/mobile PCs? I have never seen the On Battery and Plugged In options on any desktop PC I have built.

What BIOS or Windows option or setting could cause Windows to think a desktop PC is a mobile PC? Is that caused by your UPS?

Comment

Well, so much for that idea. The system booted into Windows this morning and promptly went to sleep! I think I'll drop back to the backup BIOS and see what that brings. I don't remember having any issues until I stumbled into updating the BIOS to 1.33.

Just for information I attached the Power Button screen shot from the Z77 OC Formula system with W8.1.1.
            Attached Files

Comment

Wait, so your board booted fine with BIOS 1.20 and your DC processor? One user in this forum claimed his Z97 EX 6 board would not boot with a DC CPU and BIOS 1.20.

BIOS 1.20 works fine for me, that should be in your backup BIOS chip if the board came with 1.20.

The battery thing in the settings screen must be from the UPS, but how does Windows know it's there?

Comment

I switched to the backup 1.20 BIOS and much to my chagrin nothing changed. The system still boots to Windows and then promptly goes to sleep the first couple of times I do a cold boot after it has been sitting idle for several hours. Also, the Logitech M310 Mouse and/or Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard will not wake it up only the Power Button. So it is not the 1.33 BIOS that is causing the issues. There must be a BIOS Option I need to change to let the USB Mouse or Keyboard Wake it up?

I submitted this stuff to ASRock Technical Support but based my Z77 OC Formula submitted questions I have my doubts I'll ever get a response! If anybody knows how to get their attention I would appreciate guidance?

I did get a quick response from ASRock Technical support. Their suggestions as best I could figure out were: 1. Call Microsoft, 2. Load BIOS Defaults and/or 3. Reinstall Windows. Yeah.
                Last edited by Ken429; 07-16-2014, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Well, I solved the Mouse/Keyboard Wake Up issue - just by chance I had them connected to the ASMedia USB 3.0 ports on the back of the MB. I switched them to the Intel USB 3.0 ports and they now work as they should at least when it comes to waking up the system. Another ASMedia gotcha?!

I also disconnected the USB cable (connected to an Intel USB 3.0 port) for the APC Back-UPS ES 550 that I am using for this machine and it appears the Boot/Sleep issue went away! There must be something with the W8.1.1 ASRock MB Z97 that don't like the USB UPS connection since this same setup worked as advertised on two different W8.1.1 Gigabyte MB Z77 systems.
                  Last edited by Ken429; 07-16-2014, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Since I am now in the hunt for working USB ports, is it safe to say that all the USB 3.0 Ports on this board are Intel Z97 controlled with the exception of the two ASMedia on the back of the MB? Is it also save to say that the USB 2.0 ports are controlled by the Intel Z97 chip? Is there a ASRock schematic somewhere that shows who is doing what on this MB? Seems like the manual goes out of it's way to identify the two ASMedia USB 3.0 ports - that should have been a clue.

I ended up using the USB 2 ports for the Mouse and UPS and everything works normally. So in conclusion, don't use the ASMedia Ports for a USB Mouse or Keyboard and don't use ANY USB 3 Ports for an old APC 550 UPS.

ASRock Technical Support finally got back to me stating that all the USB 3 and USB 2 connectors on the MB are controlled by the Intel Chip.
                    Last edited by Ken429; 07-21-2014, 05:13 AM.

Comment

A little more Information, I connected the UPS USB cable to a USB 2 port and Windows recognized it and is working normally. That solves the Boot/Sleep problem with the UPS connected.

Comment

Working...
                      X