PDA

View Full Version : what does this error mean?

Fedele
11-09-2002, 02:41 PM
Hey whenever I am surfung the net I get a blue screen of death that displays an error. when I reboot it says the following:

BCCode : d1 BCP1 : 00000578 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000001
BCP4 : F2A5EC1C OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 256_1

anyone know what this may be?

Mr. C
11-09-2002, 04:06 PM
I would think the actual error message would be on the BSD itself.
I believe the second line of the message you are seeing is the reference to the OS being booted.

Fedele
11-13-2002, 10:14 AM
just when I thought everything was ok and SP1 fixed a few weird problems I got this error (see attachment). Also all *.txt and *.doc files look just like the showdesktop icon on the image, no application associated with them to open them. Any ideas as to why this is happening? All I did was install office XP on saturday...I did got a couple of disk checks at startup. It said tht one of my drives need to be checked for consistency....

What commands do I need to enter to use the recovery console and repair the registry?

Please help me out!

Wiggo
11-13-2002, 10:32 AM
I take it then that you installed SP1 on a well used system then? :?:

If so I hope that you had everything backed up as SP1 should only be installed on clean installations IMO as the more clutter you have the greater the chance of a system wipe. I've had so many here lately like that and the chances of saving info is very hard as a lot gets corrupted. :(
<center>:cheers:</center>

Fedele
11-13-2002, 12:13 PM
my friend I have made so many clean installations of XP , that I can't remember how many i have made!

here we go again.

1.I do a clean install of XP on a primary partition.
2.Update windows and drivers.
3.install office xp and update it.
4.everything is great until one day XP checks the HDdrive for consitency at startup.
5. Then one day system registry is corrupted and I get this message:

"One of the files containing the sustem's registrydata had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. the recovery was succesful."

6.The show desktop icon and all the *.txt and *.doc files are then not associated with any application. and many other programs won't open correctly and the system starts to get all kinds of errors when running applications.
7. I get frustrated and reinstall. And the process starts all over again.

Man can someone help me out with this I need help. I have to reinstall XP every 15 days or so.

I have tried changing jumper settings on the HDD and the other IDE drives and also Flashed the BIOS. Please spend some time helping me out with this. I am sure there is a hardware problem causing this. What do you think?

bigjackusa
11-13-2002, 01:43 PM
If you think it is a hardware problem, how about some hardware info? What ide devices do you have hooked to what channels? Master/slave config? Bios and Windows settings for ide.

Fedele
11-14-2002, 02:30 AM
ok, I have on IDE1 the HDD as master a maxtor 40gig 5400 rpm. and on IDE2 I have DVD master and cd-rw as slave. The mobo is a biostar mv7kd latest award bios. not sure what version it was but it was the latest available from the manufacturer's website. Oh it has a VIA chipset and I installed 4.41 all in one driver. Not sure of what you mean about windows settings for IDE...?....thanks for your reply.!!!

bigjackusa
11-14-2002, 05:11 AM
Attached is an example of Windows settings for ide. In your bios settings, is the hard drive selected as the first boot device? I have on rare occasions seen a system go haywire with the ide when cd-rom is the first boot device and is rebooted with a cd in the drive. Is S.M.A.R.T. enabled in the bios? Does auto-detect set the correct parameters for your drive in the bios? Is plug-and-play os selected?

Fedele
11-14-2002, 08:49 AM
Attached is an example of Windows settings for ide. In your bios settings, is the hard drive selected as the first boot device? I have on rare occasions seen a system go haywire with the ide when cd-rom is the first boot device and is rebooted with a cd in the drive. Is S.M.A.R.T. enabled in the bios? Does auto-detect set the correct parameters for your drive in the bios? Is plug-and-play os selected?

ide1 looks exaclty like yours

ide2 different,

current transfer mode multiword dma mode 2

HDD is set to be first boot device on BIOS
S.M.A.R.T. is not supported or I couldn't find it. where is it supposed to be.
autodetect works well all cd-r and hdd are detected
Plug & Play selected

thanks for reply m8

Vega1210
11-14-2002, 06:59 PM
if you are reinstalling that many times i'd run scandisk and do a complete check on the hard drive. also make sure your have an up to date virus scanner. Possible that one of your files on your of your floppy diks or whatever you are saving your office info has a virus on it destroying files at random.

Wiggo
11-14-2002, 09:26 PM
Also most hard drive manufacturers have testing software for download so you can better test the drive for errors. ;)

Fedele
11-15-2002, 12:04 AM
yeah, I forgot to mention that I already didi that, I used maxtor's hdd disk recertification utility. the drive is ok. Now for viruses I use system suite 4, which uses pc-cillin software and virus updates. Up to date too. :knife: :confused:

bigjackusa
11-15-2002, 12:39 AM
If your mobo supports S.M.A.R.T., it would be in the "advanced "section of the bios.

Fedele
11-16-2002, 12:55 AM
If your mobo supports S.M.A.R.T., it would be in the "advanced "section of the bios.

It doesn't support it. You think that is the problem?

I read somewhere on the theads that there is a problem with single memory sticks. I have one single 512 mb stick.

bigjackusa
11-16-2002, 02:06 AM
I don't think that is the problem, I had mentioned that in reference to all of your settings and you asked where it was. As for the memory, there are far fewer problems with 1 stick than with multiple sticks. How are you connecting to go online? Could the problem be with the nic or modem?

Fedele
11-16-2002, 02:24 AM
I don't think that is the problem, I had mentioned that in reference to all of your settings and you asked where it was. As for the memory, there are far fewer problems with 1 stick than with multiple sticks. How are you connecting to go online? Could the problem be with the nic or modem?

Fedele
11-16-2002, 02:31 AM
oooppsss.....sorry wrong button

the NIC is a realtek card, I don't think it is the nic cause the problem has happened before with another NIC card. I use cablemodem, so the ISP gives you a new card when you install it....I just got another file corrupted the localsettings/temporaryinternetfiles/content.ie5/2n6ji5ij/bdestrastuff_r4c1

For some reason my files are being corrupted. Why man. Please help!

Wiggo
11-16-2002, 07:02 AM
I had a similar pro a while back but whether it's the same as your's I'm not sure but download and unpack to a floppy Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) then you'll have to select the floppy as your first boot device and restart with the floppy in the drive. This will flood the memory and caches with info lookin' for errors so let it run for a couple of hours and see if any errors are being reported. ;)

Fedele
11-16-2002, 10:03 AM
I had a similar pro a while back but whether it's the same as your's I'm not sure but download and unpack to a floppy Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) then you'll have to select the floppy as your first boot device and restart with the floppy in the drive. This will flood the memory and caches with info lookin' for errors so let it run for a couple of hours and see if any errors are being reported. ;)

OK, I will try it and let you guys know what comes up...thanks m8

Fedele
11-18-2002, 07:47 AM

phewww!.....OK after SEVERAL hours all test were OK. No errors found. Seems like my mem is OK.

Now I noticed that I hadn't noticed before at startup, after the bios logo shows it displays a message about "IDE cable 80 not connected" I checked the cables and seem OK. Do you guys think this has to do with the problem? Should I buy 2 new IDE cables? Is there a way to test the IDE channels?....thanks again for replies and help. Tweaktown is the greatest tech website!!!

Wiggo
11-18-2002, 09:49 AM
Sounds like ya need to go to your local PC store and get another ATA66/100/133 IDE cable as that one is either damaged or only a 40 wire one but either way it seems to be your problem with corrupted files. ;)