PDA

View Full Version : Huge Problem

Sailor Brian
11-09-2002, 02:45 PM
I bought a new case and I transfered everything in my old case to the new one, I didn't change anything else. I go to turn it on, it lights up for about a millisecond and then shuts itself off. The fans turn on then off.

Whats the problem? I've tried almost everything.

I hooked up the LED, Reset Switch, Power Switch, and everything according the manual. Triple checked everything and the same thing happens.

I cleared the CMOS and tried, still nothing. I unplugged all of the power supply connectors and reconnected, nothing. I took off the IDE cables and recoonected them, nothing. Floppy drive connectors are in place, everything is in place. It is perfect and I have no idea why it won't turn on.

I press the power button on the front and it makes a flash and then turns off right away.

I'm sorry if alot of the above doesn't make sense but I am trying to type as fast as I can to get an answer. I've been spending half the day putting this all together, I even cut myself on the case (huge cut). I feel really bad right now that I've spent money on a good case and some new parts that won't even work.

Mr. C
11-09-2002, 04:18 PM
Check your motherboard mounting, it's possible you have a short between your mobo and the case. Check the slot covers in the case also - a forum member recently had an incident where they were shorting out against the rear edge of the motherboard.

Is this a new power supply too? maybe that's a problem.

Cut back to your bare essentials if all that turns up nothing. PSU, Mobo, CPU, Video, RAM see if you still have the problem. Change out any parts you can - if it's good, then add 1 piece at a time till you find a cause.
But only do that after you have thoroughly exhausted all possibility of a short along the mobo/case and any PSU defects.

be sure your power supply is set to the proper voltage too of course

Darthtanion
11-09-2002, 05:06 PM
A short between the motherboard and the standoffs would be my first guess. I know that I have had it happen to me a few times before. Also, does your motherboard require a fan to be plugged into a certain header? I know that Abit did that with a couple of their boards in the past and I'm not familiar enough with MSI to know if this might be an issue or not.

Sailor Brian
11-09-2002, 05:59 PM
I think it does have to do with the motherboard touching the case because I tightened pretty hard, this is my first time putting together a case and the tutorials I looked at never mentioned anything about this.

Will this ruin the motherboard? I hope not because I love this motherboard and put alot of time in working on it.

Mr. C
11-09-2002, 11:42 PM
There is every chance the motherboard is OK. But there is only 1 way to be sure, identify and correct the problem, then give it a whirl.

Sailor Brian
11-10-2002, 04:59 AM
It worked! Everything things to boot up just fine, now I need a new hard drive since I found out I was ripped off.

Thanks everyone.