A toughy for sure....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A toughy for sure....

I have read and searched about 15 sites trying to find somebody with this reoccuring problem.If anyone here has seen it,I would appreciate hearing any suggestions.
    Every so often my Yamaha burner locks up after writing a lead in track,and has to be rebooted.It does the same with all of the major burning software programs.The simulated burn fails as well.The same components(cdrom,and burner)will burn fine copies in my wifes old 633 box.The only difference being wifeys pc has WinME,and I usually use 98.It only malfunctions on my 1.6 gig Intel/Soyo Dragon. From outward appearances,the hdd will not send any data to the burner."On the fly" burning fails as well. Originally it only did this with game cd's,but a data cd failed a couple of days ago.The burner is set on the same IDE channel as the cdrom,and set to slave.Why it burns one time and not the next is driving me nuts.Different brands of media make no difference.Would a flakey SiS chipset be the culprit?.Could not get any help from tach support. I'll try anything....lol.Thanks.:)

Most burners I've found prefer to be the master of their IDE channel and will give nothing but trouble if it's in the slave position. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

yes, i have had many burners also play up until they are set to master.

Comment

I thought about that too,but the same setup burned everything without a hitch on the wifeys 633 celeron box. I would have thought that if the burner had issues with being set to slave,then it would have messed up on both pc's,and not just mine.

Comment

you'd think that, i've seen some burners work fine in some computers as slaves but wont work right in other computers. might be a certain combo of hardware and settings they dont like. but its definately worth a try as master.

Comment

I agree with setting the burner as master. Do you have DMA enabled for the drive in device manager? Is DMA enabled for the hard drive? In control panel, system, performance, try setting it as "network server". This will increase system cache.

Comment

try setting it on ide2 master. no buffer underruns to worry about either..

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. All of the dma's are set.Also,I dont have any available ide's left. #1 is set for my two hdd's.#3,and #4 are for Raid,and the Motherboard maker says they cant be accessed for cdroms,or burners. I could set the hdd's on raid,but the onboard raid controller for this motherboard has never worked right.
                The fact that it only happens on occasion makes it a pain to troubleshoot,but I will try master the next time it chokes.

Comment

Just swap the roles of the CDRW with the CDROM and all should be sweet. ;)
                  <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Okie Dokie.I can certainly try that....

Comment

Working...
                    X