Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400Mhz FSb and ddr400

I was wondering..
    I have been really interested in the Nforce2 chipset, and i saw you could punch up the FSB to 200Mhz..
    So how about this..
    Using a 166mhz fsb CPU and bumping it up too 200Mhz (and maybe lowering the multiplier a bit so you get about the same clockrate)
    And using 2 sticks of DDR400 in dual DDR mode.
    Doesnt this seem like it would give a decent performance leap in memory?
    Noone on any of the Nforce2 articles i read brought it up as i can recall..
    But using the fastest memory and running syncronous with the CPU should be beneficial in my knowledge.. shouldnt it?
    i hear it reduces latency anyway.

Can your cpu really go to 200 HMZ ?

what processor is it ?:confused:

Comment

Not one that i have.
      Im looking into upgrading to a Nforce2 based mobo, and they support 200 and sometimes above FSB.
      The FSB can be changed without affecting the PCI/AGP speeds too which its great.
      And all this is just a theory I have been tinkering with in my head.
      I was planning on getting one of the 166Mhz FSB AMD CPUs and pushing it up to 200Mhz..
      so it runs in sync with 400Mhz DDR, which as I understand is the best way even if the mobo supports asyncronous memory/fsb since async gives higher latancy.
      And since im not a OCing freak i could lower the multiple a bit to end up at about the same CPU clockspeed if needed.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me weather this is a good idea or a waste of cash and i should stick with the 166fsb and go for 333mhz ddr..

I also plan to take full advantage of the DualDDR channel mode.

Comment

I can't really say as I've tried the 166MHz sucessfully a few times now but I havn't had a board capable of the required dividers to try 200MHz, though I can't see why not with the proper support. :devil win
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Wiggo whats your opinion on the Nforce2?
          to me it looks all good.
          And the reason i posted this thread was cause non of the reviews i have seen brought this up.
          They mention how the boards are capable of 200Mhz FSB and runs all benchies with 333FSB/333 memory vs 333FSB/400 memory.
          And then argue the marginal gain from DDR400 doesnt make up for the latancy given by asyncronous mode.
          the asus board atleast, has multipliers ranging from 6.5 to 17, so if necesary the multiplier can be lowered to raise the FSB.

I was starting to think they knew some secret i dont that makes it impossible or useless to try =)
          But if it is like i heard that the big bottle neck these days is the FSB then this would be great.

Wonder how a 1Ghz CPU with a multiplier of 1 and FSB of 1Ghz using 500Mhz DDRII (effective 1Ghz) would perform hehe
          While we are up there why not add the PCI-x 1064 standard with about 8 gb/sec to the mix.

Comment

They look to be ok but I havn't used any yet. ;)

I'll wait for Clawhammer and DDRII before buildin' another PC for myself now though. :)

Comment

Im trying to hold it untill then too, but when that hits the market something else comes up on the horizon =)
              Still im flat broke, and im not seing any big cash coming my way in a bit..
              Any word on when the clawhammers will be out?
              Saw Nforce is coming for the hammer socket too.
              Crush chipset is nforce if im not wrong..
              and Via might use DualDDR too.

Comment

Probably March next year with luck but I'll wait till later into the 2H next year before I'd go with one just to make sure that any "bugs" are worked out. Also my latest two PC's that I've just finished can both support the 166MHz FSB Athlons so I can now afford to wait. ;)

Comment

yeah..
                  Im not on the fastest machine (anymore)
                  But it has some sparks left.. and I can run the games i play..
                  Guess im just obsessed with new shiny hardware.
                  Right now i would upgrade just for the sake of Doom3 engine powered games when they start hitting the market hehe..

Next on the list
                  NV30
                  Nvidia CrushK8 based mobo (or what ever is the best after the reviews hit the web)
                  K8 CPU
                  And Fastest RAM available at that time.

Comment

Working...
                  X