system support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• system support

i have a system that when i start it up it runs nothing on screen then shuts off. The mb still has power but nothing else runs no hard drive or anything does any one no anything that could help thanks.

How long before it shuts off?
    Do you get the beep indicating memory is all right?
    Does it even make it to POST?
    Can you enter BIOS?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

seing your CPU is brutaly OCed maybe its fried?
      Havent ever fried a CPU or tried to start a comp without one but i can imagine its something like what you describe.
      Even if its not criticaly overheating, i THINK it will reduce the lifetime of the CPU to run it at such a big overclock.. not sure about it tho.

Comment

It maybe a good idea wild_willy129 to indicate what PC you're talkin' about as I'm nearly sure that you're not talkin' about the one in your sig somehow but.... ;)
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I wasn't figuring so either.
          My Toys

Comment

sorry I didn't give more detail was working on it at the time trying to get it. Well it don't matter i figured it out it was just a bad ide cable. I think. I pulled out all the cable's(ide, floppy, cd-rom audio, etc.) and the fans. So it was just the mb to see if maybe a power issue. Started right up into post. So went though process of elimination, but if you have a bad ide cable thats going to make your system not even boot to bios. Is that right. I was getting nothing. Untill i found the cable. I tryed a graphics card to make sure it wasn't that and. It was just a cable does that make sense. That's for your guys input.

Comment

That's definitly a new one for me. The only effect I've ever seen from a bad ide cable was the drive not showing up. It's hard to imagine even a short in the cable causing the problem since the signal strength is so low. Anyone else seen this?

Comment

I havn't yet but then I've come across plenty of other weird ****. ;)
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Strange to me as well. Hell, I just sent a machine to the shop yesterday for warranty work. Fried the Southbridge and wouldn't see HDD or CD even through BIOS, but the machine would still boot up with a boot disk.
                  My Toys

Comment

It could be that the cable was shorting out making 2 drives looking like they were both slave or both master. That would cause the board to do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X